PDA

View Full Version : Oil Loss

Cowboy_120
07-02-2002, 08:22
I checked my oil today and found that I needed 3 quarts of oil to bring it up to the right level. I am just about ready for an oil change (4500 kms, I change at every 5000) but I dont think it is normal to lose this much oil. I normally have to add 1 quart between oil changes. I have looked under the truck and cant see any oil anywhere and there is none on the drive way. Has anyone else experienced this much loss or should I just take it to the dealer? Thanks for any help.

TXMAX
07-03-2002, 05:13
Cowboy,

3 Qts. in 5K miles seems excessive to me. I have just over 11,000 miles on my truck and I have not had to added any oil in between changes. That includes some pretty hard pulls, so yes I'd take it in and get it documented, that way if it continues you (hopefully) won't get screwed. There is another thread above yours that discusses oil analysis, it may be that analysis would give you an independant way to identify an internal engine problem and get GM to respond faster if there is something uncovered.

Good Luck!

Abe

biglou
07-15-2002, 15:00
Just go my dmax back from a month in the shop. It was using oil, they found two injector o-rings not seated correctly. Took them about a week and a half to figure that out. When they put the truck back together it did not work, ended up replacing an injector that had shorted out. Now i'm back and forth to the dealer because since they "fixed" it, there is no power.

I think I am the first truck the dealer, or anyone it the area has worked on, so they are gettng alot of practice.

Hope you can get yours fixed right the first time. It sounds like the injector o-ring like mine. Oil use started off slow and degraded. Noticed it at 10000 miles, now have 22K.

MudNurI
07-15-2002, 16:09
Cowboy_120 -

30K on the clock with mine, NEVER had to add a drop of oil - cept when the "lot boy" crushed my o-ring and I ran outta oil.

biglou-

Not sure if this has been done- but check the fuel filter...sounds as if your in limp mode. The mode that powerstroke owners love us to be in....seriously though, it does sound like limp mode, and mine was fixed after replacing the fuel filter.

Brandy

biglou
07-15-2002, 17:56
Just got a rental from the dealer. They are talking to three engineers from GM to try to figure it out. If no luck this try, I am going to ask them to quit playing phone tag and get someone in the shop who knows what to do with duramax, if that person exists

If I understand limp in mode you can't get more than about 2000 rpm. The fuel filter only has a little more than 5k on it. I can run rpm all the way up, just no power, no turbo whine. I think when they put the truck back together after replacing the injector, they did something to the turbo, or somehow have the fuel pump not injecting at the right time.

MudNurI
07-15-2002, 20:55
well, my limp mode was that if you really tried- you couldn't get after it- 2800 rpms, stuck in gear, won't shift to 3rd etc... if I drove it "like a normal person" I could get through all 5 gears, no problem, had some power but not much.

it was the worst 5 days in my life- so I can't imagine what you guys with rentals go through, at least I still had mine those 5 days!

Brandy