PDA

View Full Version : fuel system leak

JF
10-04-2002, 16:42
Was in shop today due to what I call idle surge or rough idle. At idle, about every 4 to 8 seconds, engine will surge (RPMS seem to climb by about 50 to 75). Has not been all the time, but have noticed over last 10,000 miles.

Dealer said they they loaded all current updates, and believe that it is a "fuel leak". Will be leaving vehicle with them next Wednesday. Hit 36,000 miles today (just after leaving dealer). Good timing :D

mackin
10-04-2002, 19:21
JF

Hot or cold idle???

Cold was corrected with software reflash.......I need to do this someday before 36,000....

Hot some guys had to get pumps replaced if I remember correctly....Mine occasionally will fluctuate hot but not anything like when cold......

Question is to the guys who did the pump replace who bad,often was the HOT fluctuating idle???

MAC

JF
10-05-2002, 07:00
Macklin-

Idle fluctuation is when hot. Sometimes not so noticeable, but other times very obvious. Going in next Wednesday for further testing. Will let you all know of outcome.

Jeff

JF
10-10-2002, 04:35
Just an update. Dropped off at dealer yesterday. They called and said it's injector pump... a new one being sent overnight. Hopefully, will get back today.

hoot
10-10-2002, 08:00
I get the feeling lots of Dmaxes will/have new hp fuel pumps before 100,000 miles.

I just hope they aren't simply replacing them with identical units.

Please...... not again.

(They even had pump failures before they started delivering the first trucks in 2000)

[ 10-10-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

JF
10-10-2002, 15:27
Dealer called. Injector pumps on national back order. Hmmm. Told me come get truck, will call in week or two when part arrives.

Guess they are having problem with them. :(

glclary
10-12-2002, 21:31
JF
I took my '01, 24k, in to dealer last week to have it serviced for a trip to Florida. I also asked them to check the steering for too much play in steering wheel. Its been in for the steering before, returned "cannot duplicate problem". Any how while the mechanic was under the truck he found a fuel leak and traced it to, guess what, the fuel injection pump. The bad news is, I didn't get to drive the truck to Florida. The good news is the dealer gave me a rental car. Saved the mileage on the truck and since I wasn't towing, suited me fine.
I called the dealer from Fla yesterday and they say the pump and new steering box came in this week and was replaced. Am supposed to pick it up on Monday.

I hope you don't have a long wait.

Regards,

Barc
10-15-2002, 10:06
My 01 has 95,000km (almost 60,000 miles) and it has the idle flare bad - much more noticeable when it is hot. The last week or so I have noticed a STRONG raw diesel smell whenever I park it in the garage after a day of driving - I can't see where it has dripped any fuel on the garage floor anywhere but I'm really starting to wonder about my pump?! Anyone have any suggestions - it's going into the shop Thursday for new shocks - guess I'll have them check it out then - but I know what they'll say - "Is your engine light on?" I'll say "No" and they'll say "Well you can't have a fuel leak then because the computer would pick it up!" SO why is the smell of diesel fuel so strong in my garage then???? :mad:

hoot
10-15-2002, 10:47
Couple of things.

Some dealers are replacing the pump on trucks with excessive loping.

How is your fuel mileage and is your oil level holding steady?

There is a quick check for fuel in the oil. Pull the dipstick and let it drip on a paper towel. If you get a double ring, it's likely you have fuel in the oil.

Also, some 2001 trucks had leaks at the junction block where the injector lines connect together on the drivers side of the engine, buried under the big wire bundle/connectors.

Flyboy
10-15-2002, 11:01
My pump was replaced a couple of weeks ago. Not a leak, it was pouring out leaving a trail of fuel behind me. The pump came apart internally and knocked out two of the three plugs in the housing letting fuel pour out. There was one of the plugs (looks like small freeze plugs) laying on top of the engine along with ground up metal parts. The engine was still running normally and no codes were set. Ordered overnight and replaced the next day.

JF
10-22-2002, 16:10
Got truck back today. Idles real smooth. Got about 2 miles down highway and "service engine soon" light comes on. Turned around to head back and information center comes on with "low engine coolant". I guess they were surprised to see me back. Evidently cooling system had some air in it. 30 minutes later, back on road with no more problems. Truck runs great :D