PDA

View Full Version : Changing from duals to single rear wheels?

jeffreydmet
09-20-2003, 17:59
A while back I started a topic asking people about their loaded fuel economy. Most also listed their unloaded numbers. I compiled the information and noticed that 3500 duallies consistantly get about 2 or more mpg unloaded less than 2500s. These trucks weigh close to the same. So I did an experiment I removed the outer duals and filled up with fuel. I then drove a 100 miles mostly on the interstate and returned to the exact same pump to fuel again. I got the best mileage I have ever gotten by about 2 mpg. I got 18mpg. I have done the same test after making other tweaks and 16-16.5 is the best I've ever done. The 18mpg was with a 1000 lbs of motorcycles and 4 wheelers in the back. I would think that the numbers would be slightly better totally unloaded and if I had a regular width bed.

Has anyone converted to singles and what parts did they use?

I don't really need the duals for load carrying and my tire replacement cost will go down. It will also ride a little better.

JoeyD
09-20-2003, 19:44
You pick up uses a wider axle than a single wheel truck. An axle swap is a must. The bed would need changing, quarters at least.
You may get lucky and find a nice used bed for a grand and expect to pay another grand for a rebuilt axle. The milage may take a while to pay off.

billg
09-20-2003, 20:00
Hi jeffreydmet,
There are a lot of guys on the truck camper forum interested in converting to dually. Try posting your situation there and maybe you can find someone close by able to do a swap.

http://www.woodalls.com/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/CFB/1/forum/27.cfm

bg

CareyWeber
09-20-2003, 22:37
Jeff,

Here is a great source for 14bolt info.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/index.html

Carey

[ 09-20-2003, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: CareyWeber ]

DogDiesel
09-21-2003, 12:45
My truck has longer studs on the rear axle, requiring deep-long chrome lug nuts to run 8 lug SRW and aftermarket rims. Rear-axle is the same as dually.

Front is different on dually, from SRW-- in that there is an adapter spacer kit. Remove it. Install SRW rims.

I personally believe you will not like the truck as a SRW (without more money beyond tires/wheels). I have driven a dually converted back, and the ride will jarr your teeth out as a SRW.

Find front torsion bars, SRW wheels and possibly take a spring leaf or two out, or swap springs, and you'll like the ride. As for the springs, I qualify my comments; I looked, but I do not know the year model of your truck, my rear spring comments are on the early and mid 90s models.

Find a fellow wanting a dually, a few air tools and go for it. Both of you will be more happy.

Wayne

jeffreydmet
09-21-2003, 16:43
Carey

What do you get for mileage on your truck. I have not heard from anybody with a 3500 SRW. Does your truck have an automatic and is it 4WD?

Dogdiesel

I used to have a 99 K3500 4WD CC SRW truck 5.7L. When I got my current 99 K3500 CC DRW 6.5TD I could not beleive how rough it road. In fact it broke my camper hitch withing 500 miles. I put a 1/2 ton pickup bottom leaf in the spring and made a cushion hitch. It rides better now and I haven't broke the hitch again.