PDA

View Full Version : Fast idle and OD lockout help

LarryM
07-03-2002, 07:22
I got the terminals for the OD lockout mod and went to find the old Fast Idle mod directions to make sure I did everything correctly. Searching the archives for Fast Idle, I found endless discussion about it but not the thread giving detailed instructions. Can someone point me to the correct thread or otherwise help out?

Thanks.

TLA
07-03-2002, 07:56
Could you provide the details on the OD lockout? I find too many times I need it, especially towing at 55. My e-mail is: xcountry at goosedowns dot com. Thanks for your help. I remember he thread on the fast idle, but do not remember it.

LarryM
07-03-2002, 08:04
TLA,

77TransAM provided the info in this thread:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=003361

Look towards the end of the thread.

If you have trouble finding that, let me know and I'll copy/paste email it to you.

[ 07-03-2002: Message edited by: LarryM ]</p>

SoMnDMAX
07-03-2002, 10:50
Larry, the fast idle hooks up to connector C-1, terminal 71 on the ECM (located under the drivers side battery). Connector C-1 is the one with the blue shielding, according to my sheet. Use GM MicroPak terminal part # 12084913. Run a wire from terminal 71 to a normal SPST toggle switch somewhere inside the truck. The other terminal on the toggle needs to be hooked up to 12 volt ignition power. Normal idle RPM is 670, cruise on, toggle on will provide 800 RPM. Toggle on, cruise on, hit "set" on the cruise, idle will bump up to 1200 RPM. Toggle on, cruise on, hit "resume" on the cruise, and idle will bump up to 1800 RPM. You can choose between any of the RPM ranges at any time. Make sure you shut the switch off before driving the truck, if you don't, you'll be limited to about 2200 RPM.

Special note- when inserting the terminals into the TCM and ECM connectors, make sure they are crimped properly, otherwise they will not fit thru the plastic housing. Use 20 gauge wire. Remove the plastic shield from the exposed pin side of the connector BEFORE inserting the terminals.

Hope this helps!!

LarryM
07-03-2002, 10:57
SoMnDMAX,

Thanks for the info, but it wasn't really what I was after. I should have been more specific in my first post I guess. I don't want to actually do the fast idle mod. I only wanted to reference those detailed instructions for it to be able to properly identify the correct pins and other details involved in the OD lockout modification process.

I have the thing partially apart and the wires run for the OD lockout. I am a little leary about actually pulling to connector off and tearing it apart without refreshing my memory. I value the experience of others!

LarryM
07-03-2002, 14:06
Well, I did it. Couldn't find the right stuff with several searches. Seems like those old posts are not in the archives.

I was mostly worried about identifying the correct positions for the new pins, but was surprised to see them clearly marked. Even for my poor eyes, it was no problem.

OD lockout is now functional. Certainly not a replacement for locking it in OD, but still well worth the effort. Thanks to all that helped.

[ 07-03-2002: Message edited by: LarryM ]</p>

TLA
07-03-2002, 17:24
Thanks - got it. Now to set up for both fast idle and OD lockout. Truck going in Monday to see what gremlins triggered SES.

AOPA Roger
07-03-2002, 18:43
Will the 2003 models have the same way to install fast idle? Does anyone know yet. Maybee it will come standard.

Maverick
07-05-2002, 21:01
The 03' C4500's can be ordered with factory high idle and exhaust brake. I dought it on the 2500HD and 3500's.