PDA

View Full Version : Leaking coolant

denverdale
10-05-2002, 16:15
I have read all the posts by everyone about problems with their DMax. Each time I read one of thoese posts, I was glad it wasn't my truck and felt bad for the owner of the truck with the problem.
Well, when I backed my truck out of the garage this morning, guess what. On the garage floor was a rust colored fluid. After some checking, it appears to be coolant fluid. The leak seems to be on the left side of hte engine, under the power steering pump. Monday, it should go into the shop to be fixed. The truck only has a little over 5000 miles on it. It may not be anything serious, but it's a little early to start haveing problems.

Anyone have a similar problem? What was the cause/cure?
Denverdale

denverdale
10-07-2002, 12:41
Just got back from the dealer. Here is what the work order said. "There was evidence of a leak around the cooling housing on the left front of the engine. Pressure tested system. It would not leak when hot. tightened housing, hose clamp,and pipe to the rear of the housing. Cleaned area and roadtested vehicle then reinspected. No leaks found." Now I have to keep an eye on it to see that the leak is gone.
Also had them adjust the torsion bars while I was there. Truck is "on the level" now.
Denverdale

hoot
10-07-2002, 13:24
Good deal. Most likely that was it. Usually our brains (or lack of) gets us thinking the worst at first.

TLA
10-07-2002, 16:26
If you have further leaks, have the dealer clen everything up, park the truck outside, and leave the system pressuized overnight. With so much aluminum, a joint can be sealed when hot, but leak when it contracts in the cold.

red sled
07-27-2004, 17:01
denverdale
Hey I did the search, I have the same problem. I have a 02 with 50K miles just started noticing a small spot in the driveway, it is definitely coolant. And it is just as you describe.

denverdale
07-28-2004, 04:34
Red Sled
It is real strange, the leak stopped a long time ago and hasen't come back since. Go figure!!!
It may start up again in time and then I can show the mechanics exactly where it is coming from.

Glad you found your trucks leak.

Denverdale