PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions

Tudge
03-28-2002, 21:13
I am anticipating that I will be picking up my new truck early next week and I have a couple questions for you all - I am leaving on a 700 mile road trip next weekend and of course want to take the truck (I have read the break in procedure debates on this site and am wondering if it would be o.k. to take off with it as long as I dont use the cruise control (if so at what time/mileage intervals should I change speed and by how much i.e. from 80 to 55 MPH or smaller steps every 10 minutes, 20 minutes???)
My other question being what all should I be on the lookout for at the dealership when I pick it up - reading previous posts there should be a diesel manual supplement. Is there anything else that I am missing.
Thanks in advance for your response.
Tudge.

[ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: Tudge ]</p>

pullinpower
03-28-2002, 21:20
Hey tudge,take a look at my pics,I have a few of it in the railcar with me in it!! I even drove the dang thing off the train!! I have put all 25k on mine!! LOL
Oh yea I would break it in hard,these trucks love to be pounded on early so the tranny learns your habits :D change rear diff fluid after 500 miles towing and change tha allison filter at 5k.

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: pullinpower ]</p>

MudNurI
03-31-2002, 21:02
WOW- I never heard of a break in period for this truck--- oopps-

we picked it up at the dealer's on a Friday afternoon with 34 miles on it- for a test drive weekend...put almot 500 miles on it that weekend- brought it back in on Monday afternoon and signed the papers. brought it back at 1000 miles- 3 days later LOL and had the oil and rear end changed... didnt drive it any different than I do now, just like I stole it...

no problems to report- other than the damn steering shaft rattle. and now a tempermental head light- that I have to smack every now and then ..

Brandy

mark45678
03-31-2002, 21:10
change the oil often in the first 3K... easy on it the first 300 miles {couldnt wait any m longer} driveing it like I stole it ever since!change the reared fluid at 500~1000 miles,trans filter at 4~5k {spin on only}..... full power ever stop light and getting 15+mpg...I love this truck!

NutNbutGMC
03-31-2002, 21:28
^...Quote:
Oh yea I would break it in hard,these trucks love to be pounded on early so the tranny learns your habits
__________________________________________________ ______________________

My sentiments exactly. Hard and fast.
Tudge, did you order the MPG option? :D If not, don't worry about it. Never had it? Never miss it!!! Drive and enjoy the machine for what it is. If ya' want 20 plus MPG in a diesel, get one of those VW things, where you can count on 35 plus MPG, and that is a standard feature...... Welcome to the forum.

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

Tudge
03-31-2002, 21:39
NutNbutGMC

Bear with me being a newbie - MPG option ?? I assume that is similar to a 2X4 stretcher or an aluminum magnet.

On a more serious note - what do I need to look for when I pick the truck up?? I know there is a supplemental manual for the Duramax, I have also read rumors about a cold weather grille cover - is the true??? Is there anything else I should be on the lookout for???

Thanks
Tudge

NutNbutGMC
03-31-2002, 21:48
^....Again, welcome to the forum... Nothing special to look for except the way home. A supplement manual, some have said a video comes with it but I'm on my 3rd one and have never seen hide nor hair of a video. Also, look for a brake controller pigtail in the glove box and as soon as you can, look for all of the other goodies. Stereo upgrades etc....

PS: Oh yea, and a digital camera and a web page with free web space to post pics.... :D

The cold weather cover should be behind or under the rear seat. Personally, I don't see the need or usefulness of one. I work in Illinois and have never had mine on. Too d@mn much trouble, for what?

Give the body a look see for delivery damage, make sure tha thing drives properly, no mis-centered steering wheel, pulling, and question a 2-piece drive shaft if it arrives with one. MUCH easier to get those things fixed PRIOR to signing the papers....

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
03-31-2002, 23:14
Hi Tudge,

Welcome to the Forum and Congratulations on the (soon to be) new truck!

Things to look for: Diesel supplement, Allison tranny operation video, cold weather bra and trailer wiring pigtail if you bought that option.

The truck will probably come 1" lower on the driver's side than the pass. side. If you plan on adjusting the torsion bars to raise the front end to level it out front/rear, might as well do left/right, wait till you bring up the front then take it in and let the dealer fine tune the level and do an alighment on it for free.

The key to the break-in is not so much what speeds to drive at, but to put a little throttle to it(20 to 65mph), then let it decelerate and draw the particles out thru the exhaust. If possible, do this a few times while driving for up to 30 min. then let it cool for 30 min. (the rear diff. is very hot and rapidly aging the gear lube at this time.) This is loosely based on excellent info from Dr. Lee, who's an expert on this. I'd also change engine oil/filter and gear lube at 500mi, engine oil/filter again before 3,000mi and regular intervals after that. The idea is to get the initial debris out of the engine/diff. asap.

Hope this helps, enjoy your new truck!

Regards, Steve

MaxACL
04-01-2002, 04:05
Welcome...Welcome...Welcome...

I took delivery on a snowy Tuesday afternoon in Dallas TX (I flew in for the occation from Florida). Swung by the house to kiss the wife and kids and arrived the next day in Charleston SC. Do like the others suggest with the first 30 minutes, 500 miles etc. A few days later I'd notices a scratch on the hood and don't know if I did it or the dealer did it and hid it with snow. (Yes it snowed in Dallas!)

It awaits me at the base in NJ for my return (I'm overhead "Indian Country" till daylight) where "it" and "me" will be reunited.

You'll love the truck. Money well spent!

Mike :eek:

IndigoDually
04-01-2002, 06:46
MaxACL, if you need anyone to stop by and visit, drive, run through the Pine Barrens with your truck so it doesn't get lonely, I'm sure that there would be a few volunteers in Jersey that would help you out. :D

Get home safe and we'll see ya on the road.

John