PDA

View Full Version : Just a few questions...

Runaway
10-06-2002, 16:14
Looking seriously about purchasing/ordering a truck with the Dmax/Allison combo this week. Test drove one this weekend and it certainly is a much quieter and smoother riding than my Dodge. Nothing really turns me off of the Dodge, just my right shoulder is getting tired of the shifting in town and all.

But my questions:

- Oil Changes: How often, how many quarts?
- What/how many grease fittings on front end.
- Fuel filters, what is the maintenance schedule?
- Are the filters for the engine/tranny easily found or are they dealer specific?
- I do all of my own general maintenance, are all of the filters easy to get to?

Guess most of my questions are in the maintenance area. The Dodge/Cummins has been easy to maintain, and I want to keep things simple.

Dealer is looking tomorrow to see if they can find one with the options I want, if not, will order.

Thanks in advance...

[ 10-06-2002: Message edited by: Runaway ]</p>

FirstDiesel
10-06-2002, 16:34
Oil changes are by the book at 7.5k but the Dmax has a system that tells you when you really need an oil change based on useage and the warranty would be intact if you went by it. Not that many people even wait 7.5k for a change.

10 quarts of oil

15k on the fuel filter

Engine/tranny and fuel filters are all becoming available aftermarket/outsourced. There are other then OEM filters for the engine and the fuel. The tranny filter is only Allison OEM but is available from many sources now.

Filters are all pretty easy. The tranny is a spinoff on the outside of the pan and the pan even has a drain plug. Oil filter is out in the open.

Fule filter is up in the engine compartment and the easiest way to change it is to go in through the wheel well with the inner liner out. No biggie and there is even a primer pump right on the filter housing to reprime the system.

Try one, you'll like it!!!

White Knight
10-06-2002, 16:44
Runaway, you wrote: But my questions:

- Oil Changes: How often, how many quarts?
- What/how many grease fittings on front end.
- Fuel filters, what is the maintenance schedule?
- Are the filters for the engine/tranny easily found or are they dealer specific?
- I do all of my own general maintenance, are all of the filters easy to get to?
---------------
1--Depends on how you drive. Book says 6,000 or 7,000 miles, as I recall for road mileage. I shoot for a change at about 3,000 miles. I change the filter when I change the oil. It takes 10 quarts and I get non-synthetic diesel oil at Wal Mart in gallon jugs.

2--As I recall from earlier replies on the list, there are 11 fittings to be greased.

3--Fuel filters are to be changed at 15,000 miles.

4--Engine oil filters are available at the dealer, as are transmission filters. Dealers I have visited always have had oil filters, but some have not had transmission filters in stock. I got my transmission filter at an Allison dealer.

5--I have done all the routine maintenance on my truck, except for the lubrication. I have been taking it to the dealer for tire rotation and letting him lube it at the same time. Oil filter is easy to get to, but is VERY tight. Truck is designed for very high oil pressure. Transmission filter was easy. Fuel filter was not difficult, but to make the job easier, I removed the plastic fender liner. Next change, I will attempt to do it from the top of the engine.

I am very pleased with my D/A.

Sam

White Knight
10-06-2002, 16:52
First Diesel, you wrote: Oil changes are by the book at 7.5k but the Dmax has a system that tells you when you really need an oil change based on useage and the warranty would be intact if you went by it. Not that many people even wait 7.5k for a change.
------------

It is my understanding that the gas engines have a computer program built in that tells the user when it is time to change the oil, based on time, speed, mileage, and maybe some other parameters. The Duramax does not do this. The "change oil" light comes on at a specified interval, based on mileage only and should be reset when you change the oil.

Sam

bluenote
10-06-2002, 19:37
I'm pretty sure that the oil change monitor on the Duramax works exactly the same as with the gassers. According to the manual, it takes into account the the miles, usage, speed, etc... In addition, several people here have reported it coming on at various mileages (not exactly the same) when they or the oil change place didn't reset it.

Runaway
10-06-2002, 21:05
Thanks for the responses. Makes the decision alittle easier. How does one reset this dodad that tells you the oil needs to be changed?

Tim B
10-06-2002, 22:47
Runaway - If I remember, to reset, you turn the key on and push the throttle to the floor 3 times within 5 seconds. That resets the oil change reminder.
Also trans filter is about $8.00 at most Allison dealers; fuel filters are about $17.00 from advertisers here on THEDIESELPAGE; there are several options for decently priced oil filters.

* Hope you win Monday night.

Tim B.

FirstDiesel
10-07-2002, 04:22
Pretty sure the oil system works on the diesel too. Not that I ever wait for it to tell me to change the oil.

chuntag95
10-07-2002, 08:23
Runaway,

I just did all of this this week. Here is what I know.
- Oil Changes: How often, how many quarts? 10 qts at 7.5K. I used the dodad and went to 7833 on my first change. I run synthetic and will probably use it. Changed early due to coolant leak and being worried about coolant in oil.
- What/how many grease fittings on front end. There are 11. 1 on pitman arm was tough to get to on my 4x4, and 2 on top of steering could only get to with hose. Some have put 90 degree 6mm zerks to solve those.
- Fuel filters, what is the maintenance schedule? 15K and I cut mine open just to see. Still had clear media, so its a good interval assuming good fuel. Did it from the top and needed a strap wrench to get it off. Will try through the fender next time. Prime was a breeze!
- Are the filters for the engine/tranny easily found or are they dealer specific? Ordered all but tranny which I picked up at Allison dealer along with Transynd the Allison recommended transmission fluid. $28 gal and $9 for filter.
- I do all of my own general maintenance, are all of the filters easy to get to? The fuel filter is the only one that gave me trouble, but a strap wrench fixed that pretty easily.

I recommend changing your diff fluids pretty quick if you get one. Look on the forum here and you will get lots of great info.

:D