PDA

View Full Version : Block off the radiator in winter?

Cowracer
12-17-2003, 06:21
I see lots of big trucks with a cover for the radiators. Do any of you cover your radiator in the winter. If so, what do you use, and what does it do for you?

Thanks!
Tim

Gapper_ca
12-17-2003, 07:44
yes i do use a winter front. this helps my truck heat up. there is still lots of air moving thru rad from the sttep holes in the bumper.

spra01
12-17-2003, 08:26
The one I use came with the truck, but I believe it's from cabella's (includes a summer bug screen.)
I use it because I have it
It does seem to make a difference in engine temp in the extreme cold weather , but I'm not sure why as the thermostat should be stopping the flow of coolant

Marty Lau
12-19-2003, 14:00
Lund makes snap in covers that go in the grill. There is several of them so you can put them all in if it's real cold or take a couple out to inprove air flow.

LanduytG
12-19-2003, 17:44
I had mine custom made at a shop that makes boat covers for $50. Of course that was in 95 when I got the truck. Would not be without it. i was towing my 5th wheel the other day and it was 25* out and I had the weather front on and zipped up and still never got over 205*.

Greg

TurboDiverArt
12-19-2003, 19:44
Originally posted by 16ga SxS:
Lund makes snap in covers that go in the grill. There is several of them so you can put them all in if it's real cold or take a couple out to inprove air flow. Where can you get them? Got a link?

Art.

MikeC
12-20-2003, 01:10
Got mine at Cabella's. Came with winter cover and summer screen. Made by a company called FIA.

If you have a GMC, like I do, you will need to call Cabela's and special order. The part in their catalog is for Chevy only.

Mike

CareyWeber
12-20-2003, 04:58
Cowracer,

I have the same winterfront that Cabela's sells I got it for my 90 chevy gasser (I ordered at PEP Boys).

Going up in Montana we used cardboard mostly slid between the grill and the radiator. Cut out a 10" - 12" hole centered on the fan and that do the same thing. Paint it flat black if you don't want it to show.

If others are going to drive your truck ensure that they know to watch the temp gauge, or just remove it.

Last wednesday when I picked up my new trailer I had it on (I had the holes in the cover open) and with the trailer on even at 80mph the temp never got above 190

wayne zylik
12-22-2003, 09:35
I have a a black powder coated stianless steel winter front it works great and looks cool and yes there is a lot of air that makes it thru from the bumper inlets and I have to watch the temp gauge when the outside temp gets above +30 f as it can cause overheating

Marty Lau
12-22-2003, 09:50
I got the Lund items at a local custom Auot & Truck shop. Check Lund dealers in your area. I suspect they have a website and dealer search.

GMCfourX4
12-23-2003, 10:29
This is one site that has a variety of the Lund ones (which I have....). If you pick one, and click on the picture, you can see how there are 6 separate pieces, each of which can be removed individually. They're not too much money, and work really well.

TruckPerformance.com (http://www.truckperformance.com/products/?searchtype=d&sortorder=&urlsubcategory=Grilles&productcategory=Grille+Shells+%26+Inserts&sf1=CHEVY+TRUCK&sf2=1997&sf3=2500&sf4=Bug%2FWinter+Grille+Inserts)

What I have on my truck (http://www.truckperformance.com/products/?productID=679038)

You might be able to find them cheaper if you look around.

-Chris

TurboDiverArt
12-26-2003, 07:18
I just ordered mine from Cabela's. They are backordered from the '99 Suburban vintage. They say they will have them in 1/9 so I figure I should get it about mid-month. Cool and looks good in my opinion.

Art.

RB
12-26-2003, 15:12
For a inexpensive (or free) solution, I just unbolt the plastic shroud at the top of the radiator and pull it back far enough to slip in a piece of cardboard between the rad and the condensor. It works real well and is not visable.
After doing the cooling upgrades I had to do something to get the operating temps up in the winter.

bnmccoy
12-29-2003, 14:31
I have black foam insulation for 3/8" copper pipe. I cut same to width of grill then with the lengthwise provided slit oriented toward the rear of the truck I use my pocket knife to place a vertical slit in the center and then others appropriate to the vertical supports of the radiator grill. The long foam piece is sandwiched between the horizontal grill pieces

Three pieces of 6 foot insulation are all that are required for the six inserts if my memory serves me correct.

This works on the 94 and 95 Chevy grills, not sure of others.

You can adjust by adding or removing foam.

Actually looks pretty good.

Bob