PDA

View Full Version : Going to order gauges. Question about post turbo and pre.

DURAMONSTER
11-06-2003, 15:58
Is there a difference in post turbo and pre turbo. Will I have to specify when I order the gauges. Which is better Post or pre? :confused: As for the boost is a 35 anough. I do have the quadzilla. It seems like I would need a 60. But it seems 99% of the boost gauges only go to 35. :confused:

DinoMax
11-06-2003, 16:51
Duramonster, the thermocoupler is the same whether you go pre- or post turbo. Post turbo seems to be the consensus here, and that is where mine is mounted. Passenger side exhaust manifold seems to be best and most used location (again, where mine is). You get a better idea of temps going IN to you turbo this way. Post turbo installs typically show a 150 to 300 degree difference (lower) in EGT's. IMHO, it is better to know the temp Before the turbo than after. 35 is more than enough on the Boost Pressure. I do not know of anyone seeing #'s that high, even stacking. The highest I have seen w/ Predator on 120HP tune is 27.6 on my digital gauge. Do a search on gauge installs, and there is more than enough info here to walk you through it step by step :cool: It sounds harder than it really is ;) Also, I have some pic's of my gauge install if you are interested. just click on the link in my sig. Hope this helps. Good Luck, DinoMax :D :D

Minn-kota
11-06-2003, 16:54
The 35psi boost gauge is sufficient as I can barely hit 25psi with NO restriction to the wastegate.

Do a search on Pre/Post turbo and you'll find the pros and cons of each. I've never found anything that has stated the exact temperature drop across the turbo, so I put it on the pre-turbo side to get an accurate EGT.

JrTuner
11-06-2003, 19:40
My boost as been as high as 34-35 when the converter locks up while racing. I was stacking the Predator 65HP with Hot Juice 120HP. My wastegate hose is disconneted. EGTs are no where near as high as some guys are running. My truck did go 99mph at the end of the 1/4.

DURAMONSTER
11-06-2003, 21:15
Thanks Guys. You awnsered my ?s. I do appriciate it.

mdrag
11-06-2003, 23:30
Originally posted by DinoMax:
Duramonster, the thermocoupler is the same whether you go pre- or post turbo. Post turbo seems to be the consensus here, and that is where mine is mounted. Passenger side exhaust manifold seems to be best and most used location (again, where mine is). You get a better idea of temps going IN to you turbo this way. Post turbo installs typically show a 150 to 300 degree difference (lower) in EGT's. IMHO, it is better to know the temp Before the turbo than after....DURAMONSTER,

DinoMax is describing a pre-turbo EGT probe install in the exhaust manifold.

Read More Power's PYROMETER INSTALLATION IN THE DURAMAX 6600 (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/drillman.htm) article for additional information.

Kennedy
11-07-2003, 05:53
30psi is fine for 99% of the Dmax's out there. I hit 32-33 psi peak with my SPA digital and mod wastegate. If you end up pinning your gauge, then try plumbing post intercooler.

I always try to use a gauge that goes the minimum past the peak number for best resolution. You will be on the peak for a very short period of time, so bumping past the peak isn't really a bad thing. Having a gauge that you typically use a large percentage of the dial on a regular basis is much better than say a 50 psi gauge that you seldom go past 1/2 scale.