PDA

View Full Version : Engine RPM (higher than normal)

HDMXDiesel0817
11-07-2003, 12:31
Okeedokee, today was the day I changed out the old pogo sticks and added the bilsteins :D ....wow what a difference (Thanks John).

Now about the engine RPM, took it into the dealer today to get the lube, oil, filter, rotate tires, and fuel filter (first one) done. Mileage ~12280 mi. The oil this time was Shell Rotella 5w40 synthetic (not bad for $10 bucks a gal @ wally world), instead of the 15w40 pennzoil.

So anywho, a couple hours later I get out on the open road, and hammer it :D :D . Now before I took it to the dealership I was running about 2200-2350 @ 75mph, now it's up at the 2500rpm area...What could be the possible reason for this? Still air in the system? and if so do I bleed it from the fuel filter or is there another place that I can bleed the air out of the system. I'm hoping that it isn't too serious :( I would appreciate any advice or comments. tongue.gif

[ 11-07-2003, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: HDMXDiesel0817 ]

ratlover
11-07-2003, 13:01
The dealer reflash you for differnt tires? What size you got? Your motor could be puking grapenuts out the oil fill and a certian rpm is still a certian rpm. The computer can be told that a certian signal from the speed sensor means this speed instead of that speed but thats it. So the truck would have a speedometer that read faster or slower at the same rpm but it has nothing to do with the actual motor.

Edit: I believe I am going 80 or so at 2500 rpm with 265 75r16's on a non corrected truck.

403turbo
11-07-2003, 13:05
well there is really only one thing that I can think of that would cause this.

How warm was your truck when you noted the 2500 rpm?

The torque convertor doesn't lock until you are at 80% or so of operating temp. The computer lets the TC slip so that the engine turns higher revs and warms up faster.

the valleys of the Souther Tier get kinda nippy at night so you might get 5-10 miles before your up to temp.

Thats the only thing that I can think of.

HDMXDiesel0817
11-07-2003, 14:11
Crud, I was hoping to delete this...but oh well. HAHA turns out from talking with George (I believe) at AVLube, my tranny may not have been warm enough (a'yuck).

I took it back out shortly after talking with him, and waited until the operating temp of the tranny was 150+, then I romped it...hmm whatdayaknow 2500rpms but at 85 or so :D ...75 was normal again. Just another duh on my part. Hey something else I learned, who knew it would have cooled down that much in the short time I had parked it.

Here's an idea...how about a heater for the tranny just plug it in at night...like the engine block heater :rolleyes:

HDMXDiesel0817
11-07-2003, 14:12
Ratlover,

Still running the 245/75/16 pizza cutters, 'till Christmas at least, then I get my BFGs.