PDA

View Full Version : If you run out of Fuel

reddogdlf
10-08-2002, 09:47
I just learned what NOT to do if you run out of fuel. Pushed my luck on a recent trip and ran out of fuel, yes, I saw the low fuel light come on. Coasted to the shoulder put in the 6gallons of fuel I carry in a can. Decided to try and restart the engine without priming first.... BIG MISTAKE. Then tried priming and cranking.... did this about six times, wouldn't start. Got towed to a dealer where they spent several hours priming and cranking to get it started. Apparently I pulled a lot more air into the system by trying to start it without priming first.

Don FosteR

02 2500HD D/A

deerhunter7
10-08-2002, 10:39
lucky you didn't add a starter to the problem.. :eek:

rberner
10-08-2002, 21:23
I have run mine out of fuel several times. The first time I tryed to start it without priming (actually because I forgot about the primer). But when I did prime it, it started right up. Always pumped it ten to fifteen times. You can feel it stiffen up a little when the fuel gets there. Also I pump it with the key on so the fuel pump is running.

The main reason I have to prime it so often is the 100 gallon fuel tank in the box has a pick up on the right side and when I get low on fuel and say go around a off ramp all the fuel moves away from the pickup tube and sucks air. I try to remember to switch to the main tank when I exit.

Just my 2 cents

Maxter
10-09-2002, 13:18
The user manual says that after priming it could happend that you need to crank it for 30-45 seconds at a time and to try this procedure several time. If it's in the manual, the starter must be able to support it. It's also one of the reasons why there's 2 batteries.

TLA
10-09-2002, 14:16
There is no electric lift pump - the high pressure pump pulls the fuel to it, through the filter. I have had similar experiences with mine, and think a small electric pump that can be switched on when it happens might be a good idea. Probably, a diaphram pump would do it, as it would not need a lot of volume, and would allow the main pump to pull with minimal restriction.

Manfred
10-10-2002, 09:53
I installed a $12 fuel pump from Pep Boys in line on my 6.9 liter Ford diesel truck. This truck did not come with a primer pump with obvious problems of priming the lines. I operate it with a toggle switch mounted below the dash. It helped me out on several occasions, also when I got contaminated fuel and the filter started to clog up. This pump boosted the pressure sufficiently to keep me going in a remote area in Mexico.

I would like to know where it would be best to install such a pump on the Duramax I just got?

Tractorhauler
10-28-2002, 11:01
Reddog,

What do you think about that cheezy plastic bleeder nut?

The least they could do was put a brass one on.

Mark

Flyboy
10-28-2002, 11:55
Don't loose that bleeder nut!! It only comes with the filter housing assembly. I made a spare out of a bolt.

Tractorhauler
10-28-2002, 12:41
Flyboy,

Did you use an O ring for the bolt and any special bolt?
I am planning on replacing mine also,

Mark