PDA

View Full Version : deep pan swap not so good!!!!!!!

Buck
07-05-2002, 20:36
Well, I did the deep pan, suction filter, and spin on filter change with Transynd. Well I managed to set about six codes 842, 1710, 1711 and a few others I can't remember. Took it to the dealer that I bought it from.... :mad: ..... you know the usual.......#&*%@.....$@%

#*&!... :mad: ......

MAYBE! some time next week.

.........,,,,,,,,......''''';'@^%
#@^$^$..............

Can't wait :mad:

#^%&^#&$%>>>>>>>>>>>>........

Took it to a RELIABLE dealer (should have went there in the first place)another 15 miles away. Drove in and told Tom my story. They immediatly hooked up the tech 2 it listed a bunch of TCM codes. I knew for a fact that nothing was wrong and told them that. The service guy then cleared them and off I went. None of the codes ever came back.

Although, now I remember that I started the truck when fluid was low (a gallon), maybe that did it :confused:

You might think this looks like Mackin posted this :D ;) Now I know why he posts like this IT'S FUN :D

Maverick
07-05-2002, 21:44
Took my truck to the Allison dealer today and had the tranny flushed 100% and filter changed for the 3rd time. Almost 79,000 miles. Still running Dextron III. I asked about Transynd and he said it was $30 a quart. No thanks. My change was $139 w/filter. Do you mind if I ask how much to switch your truck over to Transynd?

big dipper
07-05-2002, 21:52
Maverick,
I just picked up pan, pick up, filter, and 6 gallons of transynd from Johnson & Towers today and the total with 5% tax was $251.02. Of course you don not need 6 gallons, but he is also going to change his transfer case fluid. Transynd was $28 a gallon.

[ 07-05-2002: Message edited by: big dipper ]</p>

Maverick
07-05-2002, 22:05
OUCH!!!!! I think I'll stick with flushing it every 25K. The old fluid that came out looked like new still. Love this tranny.

Buck
07-05-2002, 22:06
Transynd = $33.00 per gallon, 5 gallons used including flush and fill (wanted to charge me $39.00 per gallon! NOT!)
Deep pan = $63.00
Suction filter = $27.00
Spin on filter = $9.00

I know that I paid more than everone else that did the change but I have more cooling capacity and a superb tranny fluid! The way I see it, the money spent to have someone else do it is better spent to use high quality parts and do it yourself so you know what you got! Trans runs 180-185* now instead of 200* a great improvement I think. My $.02

SoMnDMAX
07-05-2002, 23:00
I did the deep pan swap today as well. No codes, followed Big Al's recommendations from a while back about the "after sitting a while start up", which would be similar to having just changed the fluid. Swapped the pan, filter(s), measured out what I drained of Dexron, and dumped in the same amount of Transynd + 3 quarts. Started the truck, let it run for a minute or so, and shut it off. Restarted after 30 seconds, let it run for another minute, and then cycled it thru the gears. No codes, no problems. Took about 40 minutes to do the changeover.

You guys got a deal on your Transynd!! I won't even post what I paid for my three gallons... :eek: :eek: :mad:

mdrag
07-05-2002, 23:16
Buck,

All three of the codes you posted could be set with a low transmission fluid level - checking the ATF fluid level is part of the trouble shooting responses for each of these codes:

DTC P0842
The pressure switch manifold (PSM) is a multiple-switch assembly made up of three normally open and one normally closed pressure switches. Fluid pressure is fed from Shift Valve C to the switch based on the position of the valve. The shift valve fluid pressure reflects the logic condition at the corresponding solenoid. This logic indicates the current transmission operating range to the Transmission Control Module (TCM).

The fluid pressure switch corresponding to the shift valve is normally open (contacts not touching) when no fluid pressure is present, so that electrical current is stopped at the switch. When fluid pressure is routed to the switch, it moves the diaphragm and upper contact so that the contact element touches both the positive and ground contacts. This closes the circuit and allows current to flow from the positive contact and through the switch.

DTC P1710
The pressure switch manifold (PSM) is a multiple-switch assembly made up of three normally open and one normally closed pressure switches. Fluid pressure is fed from Shift Valve E to the switch based on the position of the valve. The shift valve fluid pressure reflects the logic condition at the corresponding solenoid. This logic indicates the current transmission operating range to the Transmission Control Module (TCM).

The fluid pressure switch corresponding to the shift valve is normally open (contacts not touching) when no fluid pressure is present, so that electrical current is stopped at the switch. When fluid pressure is routed to the switch, it moves the diaphragm and upper contact so that the contact element touches both the positive and ground contacts. This closes the circuit and allows current to flow from the positive contact and through the switch.

DTC P1711
The pressure switch manifold (PSM) is a multiple-switch assembly made up of three normally open and one normally closed pressure switches. Fluid pressure is fed from Shift Valve E to the switch based on the position of the valve. The shift valve fluid pressure reflects the logic condition at the corresponding solenoid. This logic indicates the current transmission operating range to the Transmission Control Module (TCM).

I did the deep pan/suction filter/Transynd change a few months ago, and no SES or codes were set. I bought a 5 gal pail of Transynd for $125. :D

Buck
07-06-2002, 00:50
Thanks mdrag for the explaining the codes smile.gif I love this forum. :cool: If only the dealers :( were a helpful as this forum is! I had a good feeling that this is what the codes were.

BTW, is there any way to reset these types of codes without a tech 2?

mdrag, when you flushed the Allison how did you end up within the correct level of fluid? At least I thought that I read one of your posts that said this :confused:

Anywho,
I poured in 1.5 gal (saved 2qts like you suggested) started the truck ran over and started to feed the remaining 3 gallons (had them sitting close by with the caps off ready to go) when the last gallon was in the funnel(funnel holds 1/2 gallon) I ran back over and shut the truck off, crawled back under the truck and put the snap ring back on the "from" cooler line. I thought that it would be within 2 qts. Not! I ended up adding a gallon. Maybe I missed something?
Well all is good now.
Thanks,
Buck smile.gif

mdrag
07-06-2002, 01:56
Buck,

The only way I know to clear the DTCs/shut off the SES light would be using a scan tool - Tech2 of course, but other scan tools such as AutoTap, Auto Xray etc. should work. DTCs are tricky, but the SES would likely shut off after so many cycles without the sensors seeing the problem - the DTCs would be retained in the ECM until cleared by a scan tool.

When I flushed with Transynd, I marked an empty pail at 1/2 gal. When the ATF reached that point, I shut off the engine and added 2-3 quarts based on what was in the pail, then started the engine again and ran out some more. Repeated until all of the Transynd was used up, and kept a running tally of what went in and came out. I lucked out on the final level being correct.

My guess is you left the engine running long enough for the level to get too low - hence the DTCs.

Buck
07-06-2002, 02:08
Well, I guess I did miss something :eek:

Thanks again

LanduytG
07-06-2002, 05:16
Transyd is made from Group III base stocks and it cost $28 a gallon. You can buy a good fluid made from Group IV base stocks which is a PAO for $20 a gallon. I still do not see why guys think this Transyd is the only fluid to use. It is better than regular dino, but $28 a galon.

What are the fittings on the Allsion at the trans? From what I have heard it sounds like its not a regular inverted flare fitting. Wonder where these could be bought?
Greg

bobojay
07-06-2002, 13:48
I'm with Greg.........

What is this fasination with Transynd?

Whoops, here come the knockdowns now....... smile.gif

FirstDiesel
07-06-2002, 14:10
Safety in using an OEM product in the tranny and not having to worry about a problem with a warranty?? At what it must cost to have this tranny redone I can understand people wanting to stick with the OEM fluid.

That said after what the local Allison dealer did to me on the filter cost,, there is no way I'm paying him for his fluid. He quoted me 34 bucks a gallon for it.

LanduytG
07-06-2002, 15:00
Can anyone honestly say the know of a warranty that was denied do to the OEM fluid not being used. If that was to happen to me you can bet the service manager would not hear the end of it from me.
I would also like to see this list of fluids that is approved to be used and i don't mean the extended waranty list of fluids either. That warranty does not apply to these trucks, so I have been told mant here.

Greg

[ 07-06-2002: Message edited by: LanduytG ]</p>

trailhorserider
07-06-2002, 17:16
I could see going to Transynd to extend drain intervals once the truck is out of warrantee, but for anyone who is going to stick with GM's recommend 25,000 mi. change for severe duty, why not use a good synthetic trans. fluid (Mobil 1, for example)?

Rick

FirstDiesel
07-06-2002, 19:39
Greg

I didn't say anyone had had a warranty refused. I meant that the fear of having to deal with the hassle about it could make people rather use the OEM product.

bobojay
07-07-2002, 00:01
Is Transynd an OEM product? Are we talking about OEM General Motors or an Allison recommended replacement product. Not the same thing.

I don't believe GM is installing Transynd at the Pontiac or Flint light truck plants where our Allison 1000's are GM factory filled. If they are, I'd like to hear from an employee that's seen it at either of those plants being installed, not from someone at a dealer that says it is.

mackin
07-07-2002, 06:10
I believe the whole issue with the TRANYSND was that Allison (not GM) won't warranty (extended?)there trannys unless TRANYSND is flowing through it ....... With that BOLD statement all I can say is I'll stick with it ,(unless I find out the own CASTROL)but I'm sure like the balance of or fluids there is a big OLE market out there,a buyers market of in spec juices......

MAC :D

[ 07-07-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Zapper
07-07-2002, 10:09
bobojay,
The LCT 1000 is not filled at the final truck assembly plant. They are filled at the transmission manufacturing and assembly plants, in either Speedway, Indiana or Baltimore, Maryland. It is my understanding, (I don't work in the prodution plant, I work in the inbound, outbound spare parts plant), that all WT's and LCT's built after 1-02-02 were shipped with Transynd. Hope this helps.

[ 07-07-2002: Message edited by: Zapper ]</p>

bobojay
07-07-2002, 10:46
Zapper,
then you work at an SPO?

In any case, I'm sure they top it off at the assembly plants. I wonder if we have any active Pontiac or Flint employees on this forum. I know we had a Pontiac employee recently, but he retired.

AKDmax
07-07-2002, 13:09
Zapper,
you say that the 1000's that were built after 1-02-02 contained transynd. How reliable is the source you got that information from? Anyone out there have an owners manual or supplement that says to use anything other than DexronIII?

Raptorrider2001
07-07-2002, 15:59
I was at an authorized Allison dealer last Friday and he quoted a complete change over to Transynd for $187. He also stated that from the records they keep, a 100% replacement takes just a little over 19 quarts.

01_Duramax_Dually
07-07-2002, 21:17
Well I did this deep pan/transdyn swap out some months back(8 months...I think). When I picked up all the parts and fluid, the fluid was 23.99 a gallon. I followed Allison's optional fluid replenshiment option by not draining the entire system but just what the pan carried and any other associated draining. When I spoke with the tech about whether or not to flush and replace or mix, he said that they usually mix and then on the second change it will bring you to a very close 100% Transdyn. He said it will have no ill effect on the tranny and did not think the price($221) was worth the time. He also showed me about using only Transdyn fluid to maintain the warranty properly, what you do after that is entirely up to you...
All I know is it made a signifigant difference in my tranny temp 180-190 down to 150-170. Money well spent. I tow alot and through adverse high temperature conditions. I now have 32K miles and running strong. Synthetics front to rear.

Dayuuuum, I love this truck...

Carry On... :D

Kennedy
07-08-2002, 20:21
As soon as I see another oil meet the Allison TES 295 spec...

Seriously, this stuff is OEM fill in the severe duty applications in which SUPER warranties are given. They wouldnt put half assed oil in there with a long term warranty would they?

Was interesting talking to George about Castrol though...

LanduytG
07-08-2002, 21:35
Well John Castrol is a half ass oil. Its a group three oil. They like to think it is a true synthetic when in fact it is not. It is better than regular dino but not as good as a group four full synthetic like Mobile and Amsoil. As far as meeting the spec both meet this spec. it is just a game of politics. Also if it HAS to be in there for the extended warranty then they have to provide it for free. Does anyone here have the Allison extended warranty on their truck?
Greg

mrwolf
07-09-2002, 09:45
Allison transmission supplied to Pontiac Assembly Center (formerly Pontiac East Assembly) and Flint Assembly for the Pickup truck applicationa are built in Baltimore. They arrive in the plant with a known quantity of DEXRON III. The plants do an initial fill then a top-off procedure using only DEXRON III. Transynd (made by Castrol) is required for warranty on Allison transmissions installed in Medium Duty applications. i.e. schoolbusses, cube trucks etc. Tansynd is supposed to be used at the first fluid change to honor the warranty. These transmissions (medium duty applications) are built in Indianapolis.