PDA

View Full Version : The right way to upgrade the Dmax

hoot
03-31-2002, 07:34
"Reprogramed factory PCM for the Durmax. 80 Hp 150ft/lbs. Things we do that no addon box can do is to raise the speed limiter to 110 MPH raise the Rev limiter 200 RPM higher, maintain factory spec fuel rail pressure, adjust timing, adjust pulse with with and without pilot injection on, adjust for greater airflow for those that run propane and increase boost limits. We will follow the exchange program with a hand held PowerLoader in the future."

http://www.diesel-central.com/forums/thread.asp?ForumID=16&TopicID=4253

mackin
03-31-2002, 07:54
Sounds really good as long as your truck is out of warranty. If not, and it went in for repair for a SES code TCM or PCM you know as well as I do that the GENERALS staff will blame it on that...... So for the 50,000+ mile club sounds good. Do not start throwing that MOSS act at me I'm aware of it..... You know how that goes still is a fight and your up against a mighty organiation.So I'll stick with the plug in, plug out, application and Wipe off my finger prints.........
MAC :D

hoot
03-31-2002, 08:04
That's true Mackin.

But for those that want true reprogramming which is probably the only way to do it right, this is the way to go. I wonder if the handheld PowerLoader will allow you to "restore" for service.

Personally with all the fuel pump problems and fuel leaks, I would stay away from anything that raises fuel pressures for now. They may address those problems in the future but for now?????

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

AzKevin
03-31-2002, 08:42
The orginal software in the flash needs to be read from the flash and stored priot to clobbering it. Other aftermarket power providers have this capability. Until then it's not an optimum power upgrade option.

As far as cost goes, it seems a flash reprogram should be dramatically less than $700 as the solution comes without a hardware change nor even a programmer.

mackin
03-31-2002, 08:46
"Restore " Would have to be an option for me. That is why I didn't go with or wait for TTS Power Systems. I think that ----&gt;http://www.edgeproductsinc.com/dura_ez.html IMHO the best right now for playing hide and seek. I think the key to all these boxes are MODERATION. In other words if your going to hotrod around with it punched up to the max. something is bound to go wrong. Myself, adding that much more 90 hp 250 ft lb. of torque is more than I need. I just want something extra for a little kick in the pants thrill. So different settings is a plus. I thought the Allison will take an additional 150 hp? What would be torque? A lot if you add it to factory spec @ 2800 peek rpm.
450x5252/2800=844? :eek:
If that's correct ,due you think I can twist my "MONSTER" one piece Alum driveshaft.. LOL :D

--------------------------------------
FROM ATS---&gt;If you have a power module or propane system on your Duramax, this valve body is a definite must have. The Duramax Transmission will slip in 5th gear with any power upgrade over 150 HP. Our valve body doubles the holding capacity in 5th gear along with correcting the full safe condition that exists with the stock valve body.
--------------------------------------

In addition, The Edge does not solely rely on fuel pressure to get its power from. Although I'm no expert nor am I a sales man for EDGE (lol). I'll let you know how it is when I get my box on order..
MAC
:D :D

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

pepperidge
03-31-2002, 08:57
Seems like everyone that puts these performance goodies on their truck invests in a lot of aftermarket products anyway at least 3-4k might as well not trade in and pay the core to keep your stock unit and then all is well. Me, I can't even afford a plug in. Just my .02

MaxNouT
03-31-2002, 09:39
I spoke with Steve Cole the other day.
A handheld configurator or "PowerLoader" is not even in the planning stage as of yet.
He couldn't say whether it would be 3months or
a year until this product is out on the market
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jake99Z71
03-31-2002, 11:21
I thought John Kennedy was getting an Updated PCM from TTS Power Systems?? So how is this update doing John??

SoCalDMAX
03-31-2002, 11:40
I've heard that both Superchips and Hypertech are coming out with handheld programmers by the end of summer. No details yet on how much power or what they'll control. Those sound pretty interesting also.

For those worried about fuel pressure increases, I'm not sure that the power plug or whatever, is causing that. I've got one and so far have 9,000 trouble free mi. on it. No fuel leaks, but I did set an SES code once that indicated low fuel pressure, so they replaced the fuel pressure sensor. Has not recurred.

As John Kennedy has stated numerous times, whatever's dumping fuel into the oil is defective and could do it without a fuel pressure increase. The increase is within safe limits, it's the leaking part that is at fault.

Back to boxes: The Juice looks VERY good, basically putting out all of the power that the tranny can take and protecting it in the process. I'm really anxious to see some real on-road feedback. For those who've waited, it looks like the wait has really paid off.

I'm interested in something like the Juice someday, I'll just add it to the collection. ;)

Regards, Steve

mdrag
03-31-2002, 13:49
mackin,

Won't those Dmax owners with warranty denial concerns related to performance mods need to wait 100K/5 years for the Dmax warranty to run out?

I'm not saying these performance enhancements WILL or WILL NOT cause warranty issues, just pointing out that those with concerns may have quite a wait... :(

Steve Cole
03-31-2002, 15:50
For those of you worried about our reflashing the dealers have no way of knowing unless you tell them. They would need to remove the code from the unit then compare it to the stock code. This is something the dealer cannot do, and I doubt they will ever be able to do. It would put to much information in the dealers hands. All SES codes PCM,ECM or TCM are handled the same as STOCK. The next thing will be the PowerLoader which will allow you to reinstall the code if the dealer overflashes your unit. I don't have a delivery time on that but rest assured we are working on it and it's not on the back burner! One thing to note is that if your reflash your PCM to stock prior to going to the dealer it erases all the current codes and leaves the historical codes so any good dealer mech. could figure that out pretty easy. As far as what the Allison will take, it seems to be about 120HP any thing above that it begins slipping. Were set at 80 Hp because we know it safe. We are also testing at 100 Hp but will have to wait for the miles on the test trucks before we release that! We can make the 120 Hp but like I said the Allison gives up at that level so trans. mods would be a must for that level of performance. We are working with John Kennedy and I'm sure everyone will be happy with the final results, we are currently makeing a few tweaks for all the mods on his truck. We should be done over the next few weeks and then he can give you the results.

mackin
03-31-2002, 18:15
Mdrag,

You are correct sir. Thanks for the correction.
MAC

RWSDIESEL
03-31-2002, 18:33
If a dmax owner reprogramms the PCM, you can be assured that we would see the modifications such as timing, pulse width, rpm, ect.
What happens when the customers truck breaks out on the road and he cannot reprogram his PCM and his truck is towed to the nearest dealer,and his warranty is voided?
will you cover the damaged components?

mackin
03-31-2002, 19:30
RWSDIESEL,

-----------------------------
Quote :we would see
------------------------------

Have to ask are you a Goodwrench tech? If you are, not that I am but I got a "friend"see, and he is thinking of putting on one of those boxes the ones that make extra you know, power. Now I told him you better not cause the GENERALS mechanics are going to be able to tell. He said no way I'll just take it off. Do you have any advice I could pass on to him?
MAC :D :D :D

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Kennedy
03-31-2002, 19:40
I have tested this program and it performs VERY well! Max speed recorded (dyno) was 107mph. I was running out of time and I missed checking to see if the RPM was at the governor (3400) or not. The onset of the power is quite early where the stock curve peaks way at the top RPM.

As for "seeing" what is going on, one would have to be quite sharp to know what they are looking at. It took me a while to see what was taking place. Even then, one would almost need to look at a snapshot of both programs together to really see what is going on.

My box is back with Steve to work on some details, and custom tailor to the way I like it, and should be back to me soon! It runs VERY strong, and although I did not get a chance to tow with it, I can see definite indications that it will be quite safe for towing and could easily be let loose a bit for more of a "race" program provided the Allison's limitations are considered.

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

kerry witherspoon
04-01-2002, 09:00
like to update mods on my duramax but in cannada were at the mercy of dealers and waranty

More Power
04-03-2002, 21:47
I should point out that there are several aftermarket suppliers working on reprogrammed Duramax truck ECMs.

One of our existing DP advertisers (Performance Diesel) asked me a few weeks ago about performing a series of product tests. I imagine we'll be very interested in his computer work, especially when time comes to upgrade the power in our new Duramax Project engine. No warranty consideration here......

MP

Vette Racer
04-04-2002, 22:50
I think the complete message here is that everyone wants a complete package in a box that they can tow with and give more power without setting codes and will not be catchable if they take their vehicle to a GM dealer for service. Is this right?

Desert Diesel
04-05-2002, 11:01
I am currently on the road towing 8000# with the dynomite box I received from Kennedy. (Thanks John!) I find that the box (or any box) is a must have! when it comes to towing.

My dealer knows that I have this mod and has no issues with it. When I first bought the truck & asked about more power, my dealer gave me a printout ad for DIS and even suggested that I contact Steve Cole concerning reprograming the PCM. I have mentioned the possibility of a fuel leak and it's a non issue. If it leaks they will fix it. So there are dealers out there that will do warranty work (within reason)on modifed vehicles.

Regards,

David

dmaxstu
04-05-2002, 13:08
The moral here is, the sooner we blow up our trucks the sooner they're able to sell us another one.Stu

Big O
04-05-2002, 14:02
Desert Diesel

--------------------------------------------------
I am currently on the road towing 8000# with the dynomite box I received from Kennedy. (Thanks John!) I find that the box (or any box) is a must have! when it comes to towing.
--------------------------------------------------
A MUST HAVE?? Not in my opinion. 8000# is child's play. We can ALWAYS WANT more, but that is not the same as NEEDING MORE. If mine would not EASILY tow 8000#, I would go back to the Dodge. My $.02

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: Big O ]</p>

mackin
04-05-2002, 17:38
Vette Racer,

Life would be good if we could have just that.... Perhaps the Edge Juice will do that for me. We shall see. I will post negs. with pos. when I get mine...........
MAC :D :D