PDA

View Full Version : Sled pulling

BowTieDmax
07-05-2002, 20:40
Has anyone out there pulled there dmax yet. If so anyone got any tricks of the trade. I've pulled my 89 k-1500. But I've yet to pull with a diesel. I think unlike with the gasser in 4low, I think I'd have the power in 4hi and leaving the allison in 3rd.
Well any info should would be helpfull. Because my county fair is a few weeks away. And I sure don't want to embarrase myself or the truck.

JoeyD
07-05-2002, 21:07
I would keep it in low range. It is easier on drivetrain parts.

midwestdmax29
07-06-2002, 21:31
A friend of mine pulled his in 4 low, it pulled strong to 250 ft, shifted into second gear, and promptly laid down, maybe limp mode, but no SES. Another max did almost the same thing. The result was being handily beaten by "inferior" gas trucks and a big group of people saw two maxes look like crap. Anyone else got some pulling input? Does this truck have an electronic achilles heel?

BowTieDmax
07-07-2002, 08:47
Midwestdmax29 do you know if these trucks were stock.With all the powerstrokes & cummins in this town I surley don't want to experence this. I have a friend with a cummins thats been dragging a D3 dozer around in a field for practice. He's been bugging me to try it to. I guess I'd rather find a problem there instead of in front of many, many people.
Thanks

midwestdmax29
07-07-2002, 09:41
Something of that nature should be a good test. Also, I've got some real concerns about the front axle on an HD taking the abuse on a pulling track with the juice installed. Anyone who has ever pulled the sled knows it always wins, and after what peanut did in high range, what is going to happen in low range when the truck starts to hop a bit at the end of a hook? I'm thinking if the trans slips in high gear under no load except for the truck weight, it will be alot worse on the sled, even in low range. I suspect a six speed truck would be a much better candidate.

midwestdmax29
07-07-2002, 09:48
Sorry, I forgot to answer the first question. Yes, both maxes were stock except for 265 tires. Also, the chances of finding a stock cummins or PSD at a pulling track are pretty small. The duramax has a big mountain to climb in the truck pulling arena, but I'm sure that someone will get it figured out, maybe you? Good luck!

YZF1R
07-07-2002, 09:59
Remember also, the engine is de-fueled some during shifting. I can feel it on the street, more so in the upper gears because the shifts come further apart as load (speed) increases. This may be why it looses the go and can't recover.

Also, will the engine develope full power in low range? I believe it was stated somewhere here that it is limited in reverse while in 4 LO. Not sure about foward.

Steve

pullinpower
07-07-2002, 14:03
Well I had been draging a 4420 JD that was stuck and found that the tranny wanted to keep shifting up and down,so I just held it in 1st Hi-range and it pulled like a champ.but you may have to shift to 2nd to gain ground speed till it starts to stop ya and then pull it back down in 1st and hold it there,worked for me. :D

[ 07-07-2002: Message edited by: pullinpower ]</p>