PDA

View Full Version : What tires?

gregmican
07-05-2002, 22:47
I'm thinking of putting a new set of rubber on my D-Max. In everyone's opinion, what size should I go with? I have the stock aluminum rims and I plan on keeping them. I cranked the torsion bars a few rounds to level my truck out, and got the front end aligned. I would like to go with BF 285's all terrains, but I am afraid they might rub. What has everyone else been putting on? Thanks for your help. ;)

stretch
07-06-2002, 04:57
IMHO I would stick with 265's on the stock rims. I run that size on my truck with 8" wide rims and they fit nice. 285's would have fit on my rims but I would think they are a bit wide for the stock rims and result in an unusual wear pattern. Option 2, if you want tall tires is to run the 255/85's on the stock rims (33" tall?) which is probably the way I would go with the stock rims. Once you get into the 285's is when you need to do some trimming or pulling back of the air dam.

SF Jakey
07-06-2002, 10:43
I.ve been running 285's on my stock rims since day one. They do not rub ever, and I've done some pretty tough off roading. They also wear fine at 11000 miles and the truck looks much better imho. My only concern is that they may be the reason for my poor fuel economy (15.5 at 75mph), and yes,I do account for the larger tires both on the speedo and on the odometer. Actual miles x 1.078

CSDMAX
07-06-2002, 10:56
SF Jakey,

Could it be that your 15.5 MPG is because of too much go pedal?? :D Or lack there of...sitting in traffic??