PDA

View Full Version : muffler replacement

ochster
11-10-2003, 20:32
I went to my longtime exhaust guy, and asked for his opinion on a simple muffler swap. He said he liked Donaldson, and Allied. He only had the 24" Allied in stock, so I opted for it. He figured it for somewhere near a 7hp. gain, if actually dynoed. It is louvered thru core muffler. The sound increase is very slight, with no resonance in cab. From a performance standpoint, it is detectable. Most notably when starting out, and at cruise speed. There just simply seems to be a slight increase in responsiveness. He personally thought the stock system minus the muffler was a good design. It was just short of $200 installed.

Tinbender
11-10-2003, 20:48
ochster, could you email me with the contact for your Allied muffler. I've been wanting to change out the factory muffler, but didn't want the added noise. Getting to old, like my peace and quiet.
Thanks, Bob
rmjenis37@comcast.net

afp
11-17-2003, 19:06
Conventional wisdom with turbo diesels says a freer flowing muffler and/or exhaust doesn't really add HP. However, it does lower EGTs, which increases longevity, and as such is highly desirable.