PDA

View Full Version : Cause of "TICK" discovered!

SoCalDMAX
03-31-2002, 12:21
Hi Guys,

While my truck's not plagued too badly with the tick, immediately after an oil change, it is audible and gradually fades to inaudibility within 1,000mi or so.

I started looking for the source of the tick with my wife's stethoscope and realized the sound was emanating from the oil filter mount. Being the destructive dufus that I am, I removed the housing and tore it apart. What I found puzzled me. Inside, I found a very complex mechanism that appeard to be a hydraulically driven trip-hammer with a very complex device attached to it.

About this time, the wife caught me with her stethoscope. Angry doesn't quite cover it... but the making up's gonna get good. ;)

Not being able to figure out the device, I tried another approach. I reassembled it and fired up the truck and recorded 1 hr of the ticking into the laptop. I converted it to a .wav file and used spectrum analyzers and waveform analysis to try to discover what it was, no joy.

I then used advanced cryptoanalysis software available from our friends (www.cia.gov) to analyze it. This is the same software (brute force method) they use to crack PGP encoded email routinely and is used on distributed platforms similar to the SETI@home project.

Here is the shocking part. The tapping is not random. It is actually Morse code, formatted in BCD and encrypted in very weak 128 bit encryption, exactly like what is used in your browser, compliments of Microsoft.

Here is the decoded text:

"Congradulations!(sic) You have successfully uncovered the secret hidden within the most powerful, quietest light truck diesel engine on the planet. There are similar messages hidden in the Ford "cackle" and Dodge clatter, but we're confident those will never be discovered, for obvious reasons. This message brought to you by... (long list of mechanical and electrical engineer's names). Now get a life!"

In the software world, these are called "EASTER EGGS".

Happy Easter, everyone! ;)

Hopping away, Steve

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]</p>

bbugg
03-31-2002, 13:03
April Fool's Day is tomorrow...

BMDMAX
03-31-2002, 13:25
This is your moderator. THIS is your moderator on crack!! :D

mdrag
03-31-2002, 13:37
SoCal,

Really had me going for most of that post...thinking Nobel Prize caliber person here that drives a DMAX diesel... :D :D

mackin
03-31-2002, 13:38
SOCALDMAX

Dude you are to funny.? You may be the best Contributor--Moderator of all time....
Same to you .......

HAPPY EASTER
MAC smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

bearman
03-31-2002, 14:08
SoCalDMAX
And a happy Easter to you, and by the way, BITE ME :D :D , you really had me going there.
Cheers
Bear

fred
03-31-2002, 14:59
and my software says, if you have found this message then you have too much time on your hands and should go out and get a job!

happy bunny day to all!!!!!!!!

JF
03-31-2002, 15:44
your sick :D :D :D

NutNbutGMC
03-31-2002, 16:04
Quote:
"Congradulations!
__________________________________________________ ____________________
Too bad Morse Code doesn't have a spellcheck, 'cause I'm sure you decoded it that way, exactly to the letter. Bak Bak !! :D ;)

stretch
03-31-2002, 16:24
SoCal,
Here I am all excited to find out what the deal is with this ticking, WHAT A LET DOWN !!! YOU SUCK !!! Now I'm depressed... Now I need Prozac !!! That is a very expensive drug !!! Tomorrow I am going to see an attorney and plan a stradegy to sue your a$$ for this deception that you created. Did I say you SUCK !!! Look out 'cause here I come....... ;) :D :mad: :rolleyes: :cool: :confused:

BTW Just Kidding
HAPPY EASTER

NutNbutGMC
03-31-2002, 16:29
^,,,,,,,,,,,,,,....LMFAO at Stretch.... :D :D

OilMan
03-31-2002, 20:20
SoCal -- I think you live too close to Hollywood, dude.

DmaxMaverick
04-01-2002, 04:07
Too close to Hollywood? Don't think so.
Not close enough to Atascadero!!

Happy belated Easter!

Turbo Al
04-01-2002, 08:25
Thanks You Get The smile.gif "Smile Of The Day Award" smile.gif

ChevysRus
04-01-2002, 11:12
10 Reasons why SoCalDmax is 'Ticking" us all off

1. Too much time on his hands.
2. Bored out of his mind.
3. Nothing on TV.
4. He said he didn't inhale, but he definitely is
suffering from excessive diesel fumes of some
kind!
5. Should of realized Spectrum analysis and
recording a .wav file are way over his head
in the first place.
6. His timing is bad as usual as he couldn't wait
until today to post the "April Fool message"
7. He won't go seek help from his mental health
professional about his nervous "tick"
8. He lost it while "moderating" all those posting
9. His truck doesn't tick.
10. He really does hear this tick in his head,
but no one believes him, so he spreads the
word about a ticking noise and trys to get
everyone else to believe it exist!

OK we still love you SoCalDmax, but man you have to get professional help and soon.

Happy April 1,

sonofagun
04-01-2002, 11:19
tick,,,,,,,, tick,,,,,,,tick,,,,,,,

Just remember there is still an alligator out there!!

tick,,,,,,,tick,,,,,,,tick,,,,,,,

Cute, real cute

tick,,,,,,tick,,,,,,,,tick,,,,,,

You got us all, for sure!

Have a good one.

Bob tongue.gif tongue.gif

GMC-2002-Dmax
04-01-2002, 21:56
Does that program decipher secret code from the female species??
I am particuarly interested in breaking the
" there's nothing wrong code ".
I think sometimes my signifigant other get's a tick, and then it's followed by and TICKED OFF!!!!

GMC :eek:

taarciag
04-08-2002, 21:03
SoCalDMAX
ROF/LOL ... I almost fell for it.
Thanks for the laugh :D

LPGTRUCKER
04-09-2002, 09:53
Just like leading lambs to slaughter. Talk about being sucked in. Great to laugh at ourselves sometimes. Now wondering what will be masqaraded at halloween? Say did you hear the one about the 10 speed allison...with 4:10 rear ends~
You guys and gals kill me, humour abounds.