PDA

View Full Version : Oil looks Grey

BobW
04-01-2002, 09:19
I checked my oil this morning and was surprised that I could see it on the dipstick. Has a greyish color like one might see with graphite mixed in with it. This about 1000 mi after the dealer performed the first change at 2100 mi. Hard to tell but it may be a bit overfull. (This is the first time I have checked it since the oil change, previously it was the "so clear I can't see it on the dipstick" appearance.) Any thoughts?

Wilky
04-01-2002, 09:37
Grey tinted Oil might be fine, but Have it Tested. The cost for a Oil analysis ranges from 30 to 60 dollars, but worth the money if a problem exist. There is a Amsoil dealer here that know what he is Talking (or typing) about. Also with the level above the mark you could have the dreaded " fuel in the Oil" problem. Which is not a good thing for the bearings and cylinders. I don't think the Grey tinting is caused by Anti-freeze in the oil. I have a Tractor with a cracked block, which was justed welded and is worse then before, and the Oil turns a yellow-greenish color. Of course my Anti-freeze is Green and not Red like yours.

Good luck,

Dawg
04-01-2002, 10:05
I took my truck back to the dealer where I purchased it for a free L/O/F. After the service was completed I was checking over the invoice. It showd they added a graphite product called 'Krex'. It might explain your gray color. I have not checked my oil yet. Only has a few hundred miles on it since the service. I wish they would check with the customer before they add stuff like that. I checked with my local Chev Service Manager, who I have confidence in, he said it is a sales gimick. 'Krex' wants you to buy a service plan from them and keep buying the 'Krex' product. My local manager said he declined to use the product at his dealer ship.

Nels
04-01-2002, 10:37
I found a web link for the Krex. Looks to me like more snake oil.

http://www.krexinc.com/

mdrag
04-01-2002, 10:49
Oil analysis should be cheaper than $30-$60, IIRC I paid $16 total and requested SOOT and Total Base Number - which was extra at the lab I used. They sent a free supply of prepaid carboard mailers/sample bottles/instructions. www.usoil.com , one of many choices. :D

ItsMrBill
04-01-2002, 11:11
Graphite? I remember back in 78, I added this graphite stuff to the oil in my car that was supposed to reduce friction and improve fuel mileage. Back then, everyone was trying all kinds of snake oil treatments trying to improve their fuel mileage and it seemed like a good idea at the time. This stuff turned the oil gray/black.

After running it in the engine for 3000 or so miles, when it was time to change the oil, the filter must of weighed 3 pounds and trapped all of the graphite particles. After that first oil change, I soon realized the stuff did not improve anything but did seem to prematurely clog the oil filter.

LanduytG
04-01-2002, 13:24
We can get you and oil analysis kit for $14 and that includes all wear metals NOX, OXD, Soot and TBN plus its postage paid to the lab.
Greg

Dawg
04-01-2002, 13:45
Good point on the clogged oil filter! I planned on draining the oil long before it was due. This will make me do it that much sooner now. "Snake Oil", that's exactly how the Service Manager at my local Chev Dealer called!!

odoh
04-01-2002, 14:24
Dawg ~ I've been known to get a lil hot re graphited stuff. I was working at a defense depot when the Army OPR/mgrs for petro/lubes came to consult w/our (USAF) engineers re graphited lubes ('77ish). It appears that graphite is erosive to some cast iron applications. DoD then cancelled the MilSpec and dumped/purged stock/inventory as surplus. There was a time when only graphited urethane suspension bushings were stocked locally. I let them know how I felt about it! Back in the '30s when the fastest bullet was marketed, 220swift (4110fps)Winchester put a lil graphite ball behind the bullet. The 220 swift had the unjust reputation of being a barrel burner for decades. Nope ~ no graphite for me nor in my stuff! :eek: ~ odoh

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>

Dawg
04-01-2002, 15:38
Odoh- Exactly, they didn't ask before they added the Krex. They know if they ask most people will say 'no' to the snake oil. This is why I service my own vehicles!

BobW
04-01-2002, 16:15
Thanks for the replies. Now the question is, do I drive it until i get the test results back? Being new to diesels smile.gif I don't know what problems I might be opening myself up to. Still have my old '93 5.7L gasser I can drive :rolleyes: - not much fun after the d/a!

odoh
04-01-2002, 17:30
Dawg ~ Right on. If you want it done right, gotta do it yourself. What I must have someone else to do for me, I hang over them and generally make an arse of myself. ;) odoh