PDA

View Full Version : Cold air intake

Firefarm
09-21-2003, 07:53
Has anyone made a cold air intake for the 6.5? I haven't been able to find a manufactured unit but, why couldn't one be made with pvc and a universal K and N cone filter?

billg
09-21-2003, 10:05
Hi Firefarm,
I think you get pretty close to it buy doing the snorkel/air cleaner mod.
bg

Firefarm
09-21-2003, 10:59
I don't think that you are getting anywhere close to the amount of air that you could be by getting the filter down in front of the engine.

jlog
09-21-2003, 11:38
in australia all the 4X4's seem to be equiped with a snorkle which collects cold air from some where around the roof line and feeds it in through the fender. I saw them for either the right or left side of the vehicle. that might be what you are looking for. I think the main use is to allow running the vehicle through deeper water.
john

advanracing62
09-21-2003, 11:55
I know what you are talking about- you could get a mandrel bent pipe from JC whintey or the like, and some silicon hose joints. Effectively you could build your own.. would want to take a coat hanger and bend it to fit where you want to go with the end of the filter, and then oder pipe to spec. I wouldn't go any smaller than 2.5" with a conical KN filter or the like. Not too sure on how low you could put it because of the style of driving you do.. but I'd try to keep it shielded from the elements, but still accessable to colder air. You could even have the filter in the engine bay and route a pipe up to the filter which could bring on the colder air. Can you tell I've thought about this?

Firefarm
09-21-2003, 13:12
I just ordered a 4" inlet cone K and N filter. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

GMCHORSHAM
09-22-2003, 00:46
Hi Firefarm, cool air sound's like the way to go.
jlog mentioned, what they use in Australia, he is right, with the deep water theory. Also the outback Australia is extremely dusty. Most 4x4's
have a snorkle extention, the Tube ranges from
2 1/2 inches upto 4 or 5 inches, in diameter. They extend just above the vehicles roof line.
Most people place a turbo scope on top, and this seems to be normal equipment on a Trailer Tractor,
better known as a prime mover in Australia.
I don't have any number to confirm this, but most
operators report mpg gains, rumoured between 2-6 mpg gains.
Getting back to what Firefarm theory is, cool air
would be the link to these gains, as most of these
4x4's and Tractors are diesel. This also fits with the theory of Diesel performance.
Have Fun, Safely.
Rod.

catmandoo
09-22-2003, 04:56
i'm currently in the process of setting up a cold air system what i'm doing is thru a 2 scoop ramair hood like the old w-30 442 olds this has a hole on top of the right side fenderwell presumably for the 350 keystone the maker of the hood has an air box for the 350 but not the diesel so it's custom time i just took the big ugly muffler that was on the truck from the aircleaner and fender and hacked it apart found a 90 degree elbow ,took some weaterstripping from around an old car trunk lid the kind that fits a channel and put it around the edge then took the muffler bracket on the fender and did a little bending to hold this contraption in place so when i close the hood i get a somewhat good seal but then i was driving one day and it started raining and i got to thinkin about this so stopped and it was taking in water the ribbed hose on the end of the air cleaner had water setting in the ribs . so right now its flexible if it startes raining i open the hood and can turn the whole thing forward this keeps rain out but then i lose my ramair. this is only temporary as i would like to put my turbo on and will have to fabricate another one.

advanracing62
09-23-2003, 06:16
so in dealing with the rain issue- drill a hole in the bottom bend of the pipe that goes up to the turbo, this will allow any water in the pipe to drain out and will reduct the likelyhood of water in the combustion chamber.

triggerman
09-23-2003, 18:47
Point #1, The term "cold air system" describes a off the grill or hood air intake for a NON turbo gas job. The only "cold air system" for a turbo Diesel is called a intercooler. Sure, you may change the point of air entry, but it will never be "cold" once it is compressed by the turbo no mater where it comes in from. Secondly, If you guys do your homework here on the DP, you would see that the KnN air filters are one of the most ineficiant filters out there. Testing done here reveiled that the Amsoil 2 stage foam could clean air far better than the KnN or even the GM OEM unit. Hi compression engines such as your 6.5 require much cleaner air than a low compression spark plug fired GAS JOB. Hold your KnN up to the sun and see the sun light come right through the fliter media. Move air? it sure does, along with all the soon to be silicon particles that will put all that compression in your crankcase in stead of out your exhaust valve :eek: ....I just couldn't keep my self off this thread!!

catmandoo
09-24-2003, 04:47
mine is non turbo and you do have it on the turbo, compression creates heat. good point that probably gets overlooked.

lineman
09-24-2003, 05:25
Firefarm, My own oil sample testing done using the K&N and then using the Amsoil 2 stage convinced me to use only the Amsoil 2 stage for my truck.Too much dirt in the oil for me with the K&N.Just my 2 cents worth.

pannhead
09-24-2003, 15:16
oh boy, not the amsoil vs k&n again tongue.gif