PDA

View Full Version : Juice Updates

Capt. Tom
07-07-2002, 20:38
Just a note to those of you that need to get the Juice updated. I spoke to Aaron and they are meeting production units and can preform updates within one working day. Most recent version is 3.61c, I beleive. Mine is on the way in the morning. :( Two days withe out the Juice, thankfully I have to work 10 hour days.

PEANUTGRWR
07-07-2002, 22:15
SO WHATS DIFFERENT ABOUT THIS VERSION THAN THE OTHER ONES?

xwing
07-08-2002, 05:35
They wouldn't tell me, or the Edge guy didn't know(!), what the differences between 3.5 and 3.6 were. Said "don't worry, you won't notice a difference". To be honest, saying that 'this system is also great because you can UPDATE its programming' then refusing to say what the update does, or saying it is unnecessary, so you don't actually DO the update process is sorta...unsatisfying.
If it IS so easy to reprogram, Dealers could do the reprogram/update before sending "old" 3.5 out; I had wondered if they wanted to clear out the old 3.5 at dealers before "admitting" what the improvements are.
We are big boys, a straight answer would be great (as usual) smile.gif

GMC D-Max
07-08-2002, 07:09
Speaking of the 'Juice', I just picked one up off of eBay this weekend (supposedly NIB, and only a couple weeks old since purchased from Edge). Is the new software within the last couple of days, and should I be sending this unit back for the upgrade? What kind of service could I expect from Edge having bought this unit second hand? Also, I don't have any other mods on my truck such as exhaust (yet), what thoughts do any of you have as to putting the 'Juice' on a stock truck?

DMAXDiva
07-08-2002, 07:49
GMC D-max:

I have recently upgraded to the 3.61c version, and quite honestly, I can't tell any difference from the 3.5. I did have a slight surge problem, and it appears to have been addressed, but that's really it. The surge problem seems to be one of those wierd, idiosyncratic symptoms that not all Dmax's experience (like the dreaded engine "tick" that has been mentioned numerous times on the forum).

If I were you, I'd wait to install the juice box until you at least have a pyrometer(EGT) and manifold pressure (boost) guage installed. Exhaust gas temperatures are increased, as is boost pressure, with the juice. I can tell you from personal experience that those guages are critical! (I was having so much fun on level 4 that I redlined the pyro...>1250 degrees...those guages keep me out of trouble :eek: ! ). Straight-piping the exhaust system is an inexpensive partial solution to backpressure/flow issues, and it does reduce EGT's, but only minimally (25-50 degrees on my truck). The 4 inch system seems to be the way to go (I have a system on order; I'll be interested to see the EGT differences vs. straight-pipe).

Best of luck!

[ 07-08-2002: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]</p>

GMC D-Max
07-08-2002, 08:17
Thanks for the info! I've already got a quote for gauges, I've just been lazy in picking them up and installing them. As for exhaust, I'm still in the research phase. There's too dang many to choose from, and I'm concerned about sound. I like the fact that my Duramax is quiet, and I don't want to sacrifice the quietness for the sake of performance. But, that's a topic for countless other threads!

I'll get off my tail and get my gauges installed before I "Juice up"!

edit: One other question: What is the max. boost pressure one might expect to see with the Juice? Surely not more than 30psi? Isspro's 'turbo boost' gauges read to 50psi, and that seems like extreme overkill to me. I'll probably just stick with the 30psi 'manifold pressure' gauge.

[ 07-08-2002: Message edited by: GMC D-Max ]</p>

ford2chevy
07-08-2002, 08:27
Do you have a number to contact for the update or do we have to call the place we purchased them?

Alli-max
07-08-2002, 09:54
question for you John Kennedy..... What version do I have? And, are you setup for the updates yet?

Or, do I just click on Help then About??? :D :D

tmg115
07-08-2002, 10:12
how do you do updates? and since i have a ez amp can i get the up dates?

DMAXDiva
07-08-2002, 10:13
GMC D-max:

You'll be much better off with a 4 inch exhaust system than with the straight-pipe if you're concerned about sound...that straight is way too loud (for me, anyway). That's the biggest reason for my decision to upgrade to the 4 inch setup, along with better "breathing" and lower EGT's. Yep, there are several systems available, but I decided on the Banks Monster system based on the fact that it is a stainless system (yeah, I know it's really not necessary on a diesel engine, but why not get stainless for only $32 more than aluminized steel?)and Banks' reputation (I've used their products on my Cummins Ram with great results). I hope I don't spark a riot by touting the Banks system here...(exhaust systems choices seem to be a very touchy subject!)

As far as max boost numbers, the highest I've seen on level 4 has been 28psi (I backed out of it then...it very well could have reached 30psi). My Isspro guage maxes out at 40, and I have seen somewhere on this forum readings of 30psi+ with the juice...(I'm just too "chicken" to go there tongue.gif !)

ford2chevy:

I'd just call Edge Products directly regarding any updates (I never contacted the dealer prior to requesting updates; Edge handled it all for me).

ford2chevy
07-08-2002, 13:20
thanks dmaxdiva

PEANUTGRWR
07-08-2002, 15:27
HOW DO YOU TELL WHAT VERSION OF THE JUICE BOX YOU HAVE??

mackin
07-08-2002, 16:17
PEA-NUT,

Look at the bottom should have a gray sticker with serial number and build date with version number..

MAC :D

Plasticfantastic
07-08-2002, 16:34
Hey JK, what Alli-max said.
What version do you have to sell? Thinkin' bout ordering one. How long on delivery?

tmg115
07-08-2002, 17:44
does no one know what i should do?

FirstDiesel
07-08-2002, 18:06
Did you buy it from an authorized dealer??? Take it up with them for an update.

Kennedy
07-08-2002, 20:05
Hey guys, I have my daughter Jamie (15) here for a couple weeks so my free time is limited at the moment.

Been shipping v3.5c for some time now. I have a v3.61 on my truck now AND the new Duramaximizer. Haven't had time to evaluate either very thoroughly, but see little/no difference between 3.2 through 3.61.

Some early ones had no sticker to indicate level.

I'm going to take the stand that if you do not have any problems with the earlier ones, stick with it. Im sure we havent seen the final edition yet.

No cables yet so all updating must be done by Edge for the time being...

Plasticfantastic
07-09-2002, 13:45
SOLD!!!!
Juice on the way to meeeeee!!!!
:D tongue.gif :D tongue.gif

DMAXDiva
07-09-2002, 16:26
plasticfantastic:

Congrats on the Juice purchase...you will NOT be disappointed! I literally felt withdrawal pangs after I shipped the box to Utah for updates a few weeks ago; the truck felt so darned sluggish without it :rolleyes: ...

Well, the juice has since been re-installed and she (and I) are blissfully back to our old selves once again...( I guess I'm a hopeless "juice" addict after all! ;) )

Plasticfantastic
07-09-2002, 17:46
The million dollar question Diva, notice much difference after the updates?

I told JK this morning when I ordered, "SICK of hearin' 'bout this dang juice!" .... "send me one PLEASE :D "

HawgGuy
07-09-2002, 18:21
You won't be disappointed with the juice. JK's service is second-to-none.

-bob

DMAXDiva
07-09-2002, 19:16
plasticfantastic:

I had mentioned in an earlier post on this topic that I can't really tell any difference between 3.5 and 3.61c, but that a slight surge problem(especially during during accel/decel)seems to have been eliminated with the upgrade. I STILL have problems with level changes (need to call Aaron back on that one), but that may just be my truck (one of those "personality quirks", I suppose). Other than that, this product is top notch, and the manufacturer's service has been exceptional so far...couldn't be happier. I never would have believed in my wildest dreams that a DIESEL truck could perform like this! I DO love this thing! :D

Capt. Tom
07-09-2002, 20:09
My version of the Juice was 3.0 an early version. I did have the "Fishbite" problem on all settings. In preveous calls to Aarron, he recomended I wait till things stablized before sending the unit back for reprograming. In my last call, July 3, he suggested I post the message that they were up to speed and able to do updates in a timely fasion. I got the impression they may have been having delays.

He called me today and my unit was received reprogramed and is on it's way back to me. I am looking forward to the confirmation pulsing and no fishbite.

I must agree with DMAXDiva, my truck feels like a slug without the Juice. Looking forward to Thursday's Brown truck. :cool:

madmax7
07-11-2002, 17:08
Is the newer version of the Juice any slower than the older versions?

pullinpower
07-11-2002, 17:10
Yea I wonder what they are doing with the timeing and the fuel curve with each update.

Joe.G
07-11-2002, 17:29
madmax7
It don't feel no slower to me, had mine updated to 3.61 from unknown (no Sticker), and it will still haul it. The update eliminated the fishbite below 2000 rpms, I have noticed some that comes and goes above 2000 rpms, I don't think it's perfect yet but it's the best out there for pure power.