PDA

View Full Version : Off to the track friday any tips?

tmg115
07-07-2002, 21:28
ok i am off to the track friday at ennis and i was wondering if there is anything i need to know to help me get a better time.

what is the sweet spot for power braking?

or just anything to help.

also i am going friday tout to ennis if you want to go (which it seems no one wants too. :( post here and we will meet out there. or you can call me at 817-680-2149.

i really don't want to go bymyself :(

xwing
07-08-2002, 05:39
put it in 4wd. Brakestand to whatever level of boost lets it launch without spinning the tires all over. Once you know that level, you can reproduce the launches. Once launched, mat the gas pedal...unless all those upgrade boxes will blow all 4 tires away from a roll too? smile.gif

tmg115
07-08-2002, 21:10
no other tips? no one wants to go?

Heavy Duty Neil
07-09-2002, 08:13
If I lived a little closer, (and had a fast Duramax), I would go. :D

The only tips I can give are the obvious ones...

Shed any excess weight (tailgate, spare, receiver hitch, jack, tools, etc.).
Don't have much fuel in the tank.
Play with tire pressure if you are spinning on the launch.

BTW, what size tires are you running?

Have you tried shifting thru the gears manually? Or does the Allison not like that?

01_Duramax_Dually
07-09-2002, 08:26
TMG115,
Someone did the 4wd launch and ruined a bunch of 4wd components. Cannot remember who, but it was a costly mistake.
I would not use 4wd. Think about the mass you trying to move with 4wd engaged. The enertia must be phenomenal. I think you will lose more time in 4wd as you are losing HP through the tranny, transfer case and subsequent front and rear ends. I would only use 2wd IMHO.

I Drag Race so there is alot more to this than meets the eye. The truck is very nose heavy and with the stout springed rear end, weight transfer will be poor at best. I say Start in low 1, get up as high on the converter as the truck will brake hold, let off and manually shift the auto. try and get to 2500-2800 rpm everyshift for maximum peak performance.

Good Luck and keep it together.

NOTE: I would not attempt any Neutral drops...Those are a waste, especially with a lock up converter simply because free wheelin it in neutral, the converter is not locked up and when you sink it into gear, the converter does not immediatley engage...

SoCalDMAX
07-09-2002, 08:29
As you're waiting in the lanes, concentrate on the lights while others are racing and get the rhythm down so you'll launch before the green but not redlight.

On my truck with 33" tires, power braking up to about 1,000 or 1,050rpm will give the best launch without smoking the tires. If your tires are just barely trying to break loose, you're at the limit for traction.

Tires should be inflated to normal or slightly higher, don't go lower unless using slicks.

Do not do a burn out unless running slicks, slicks get stickier when hot, street tires get slippery. Drive thru/around the water box and do a dry hop on the other side if excessive water is on your tires.

Don't let the other guy play the late staging/psych out game. Ignore the other driver and look only at the lights.

I've also heard it's good to keep the shiny side up... try not to leave any paint on the rails... ;)

Have fun, Steve

tmg115
07-11-2002, 10:26
i wish i could find some slicks though. i would love to run with thoughs :D

RWSDIESEL
07-11-2002, 11:35
Steve, thats a good one, shiny side up always helps.
However, I think you would have to work at trying to upset the truck, unless maybe the guy next to you takes you out.

Joe.G
07-11-2002, 18:23
OK, first test your tire patch leaving at 1200 rpms, vary your tire pressure up and down until the patch is the width of the tire. If you have a 2/wd, 1200 rpms is about all you can stand on stock tires w/juice. Only other tip I can give you is leave in drive and hope you don't have excessive tire spin, the transmission will shift at optimum rpm.
As far as reaction time goes, first light is 1, second light is 2, when it goes out say go and release the brake and nail the accelerator at the same time. You must use this countdown to get in time with the tree, it requires your full attention to be consistent!
Try to keep your engine temp the same every run, this also goes for the transmission, this adds to your repeatability in et.
One other thing, for every 100 lbs you decrease your total weight you will reduce your et 1 tenth of a second in the quarter, maybe a diet would work!

SoCalDMAX
07-11-2002, 19:47
RWSDIESEL,

Normally I'd agree with you, mine is very tame on launch.

I'm just thinking about PEANUTGRWR'S wild 4WD launches. You know, when he scattered steering parts all over the street for his buddy's amusement, or the wild bunny hopping it did at the track in an attempt to kiss the rail... the story was it took some good driving to keep the paint intact that time! ;)

Regards, Steve

tmg115
07-11-2002, 20:20
is running in 4WD a bad idea? i did it last time and it didn't seem to hurt anything.

tmg115
07-12-2002, 08:02
i kinda need to know by tonight if running in 4X4 is a bad idea.

DucksnDiesel
07-12-2002, 14:29
Better pack your rain gear. Have you checked the radar this afternoon? Not a pretty site. Maybe they will let you run a wet obsticle course around the center cones. It's not supposed to rain here in July.

tmg115
07-12-2002, 14:50
NONONONO!!!! IT IS NOT GOING TO RAIN!!!

it will stay to the north and ennis will be fine.

hey you are in arlington come on out. don't worry it wont rain.

Joe.G
07-12-2002, 17:35
You can run in whatever you want to, 4/wd uses up HP due to increased friction losses. Running in 2/wd with no wheel spin and maximum boost will be much faster. I guarantee it!

SoCalDMAX
07-12-2002, 18:48
If it rains, I'd definitely recommend 4WD. :D

Regards, Steve

tmg115
07-12-2002, 19:00
well it rained. :( so i am going back in a few weeks if you want to come post up.

JoeyD
07-12-2002, 19:22
What will a stock D-Max do in the 1/4?
I ran my truck last week and only got 18.90.

tmg115
07-12-2002, 20:58
i did mine with out power braking and got 16.96

PEANUTGRWR
07-12-2002, 21:10
IF YOURE RUNNING STOCK TIRES AND WHEELS YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO PUT THE GO PEDAL TO THE FLOOR AND LAUNCH IN 4X4 WITH MINIMAL TIRE SPIN EVEN WITH THE JUICE. NOW IF YOUR RUNNING LARGER TIRES AND AN OFFSET WHEEL THATS A DIFFERENT STORY BELIVE ME I KNOW :eek: IF YOU FEEL AND HOP AT ALL ABORT ABORT ABOUT!!!! I CANNT SAY IT ENOUGH OR YOULL BE TAKING YOUR TRUCK HOME ON THE HOOK. ;)

txtuner
07-13-2002, 07:41
TMG, Why don't you meet up with some of us out at Kennedale? We try to go on Thurs. because the lines are really short, but Wed are also ok. This wil give you a chance to practice for ennis. At Ennis on a Fri. night you will only get a few passes so you need to make the right! I can show you how to launch that thing! This Thurs. I plan on bringing at least one other Dmax with me. It is the fastest one I know of without propane! Probably somewher in the high 8's in the 1/8 mile! Let me know and we will try to hook up!

afp
07-13-2002, 09:10
TMG and TXTuner,

If you ever decide to come a little south, they tell me there is a nice new track in Marion--near San Antonio. I haven't drag raced in years but am tempted to take my truck out there and see what it will do. I am also getting drawn back into drag racing. At leats I finally have a peoper tow truck.

Blaine

xwing
07-13-2002, 10:21
I disagree that the 4wd mode costs ALOT of power/speed!

Using my Vericom VC2000 (which is very consistent)for quartermile testing stock 2001 2500HD D/A I got:
2WD 79.2, 79.0, 79.0mph
4WD 79.0, 78.3mph.

The quartermile mph corresponds best with horsepower. Since it lost so VERY little, I don't think it sucks out nearly as much as people think. 4WD brakestand sure does help the quartermile TIME, though!

tmg115
07-13-2002, 14:32
txtuner i will be there thursady. what time?