PDA

View Full Version : BD Xtreme airbox

7mmSTW
04-01-2002, 11:14
Does anybody know about it? I would be interested in seeings some pics, prices, etc...

Thanks

Seven

Bwag
04-01-2002, 12:32
Seven, Check out this bad boy add about 25 HP

www.afefilters.com/product.asp

Joe Dawson
04-01-2002, 13:56
I don't see how these aftermarket air boxes or filters can add power. I have a vacuum gauge plumbed into my airbox on the turbo side and at maximum boost I am seeing 0 vacuum. If there was any restriction in the airbox intake or with the airfilter then there would be some vacuum in the airbox. What this means is that the stock airbox and filter can supply more air than the engine can use. I have 15000 miles on this filter so it has some dirt in it. I have a 2001 that has had the airbox updated to the 2002 airbox.

Plasticfantastic
04-01-2002, 14:41
I was noticing my dirty filter meter sucking in about half way even with a new filter. I took a chance and drilled a dozen 1" holes along the front LOWER edge and the bottom edge. It doesn't suck the meter in at all now.
Wonder what that tells us BESIDES the fact that I butchered my airbox and GM service will probably have kittens. :eek:

hogbreth
04-01-2002, 17:23
I had the luck at a recent trade show to talk with one of the two folks responsible for the DMax development. Can't use his name but the one thing he said that stuck in my mind was that during development they were sucking piecers of the air filter into the engine because of it's huge demand for air. He said that the current airbox was designed for the gas motor which has a smaller volume of air requirement. The one thing he would do is open up the airbox.
That's from the man.

mackin
04-01-2002, 19:57
Just in case you missed it,

Those "type" of air cleaners have been discussed here quite extensively. You should do a search and check it out before putting you money down on those "GAUZE BANDAGE JUNKIE " air cleaners in my opinion. Just because your getting a bigger volume of air might not be good, if your compromising good filtration . You could get both. Just check it out.........
MAC :D :D

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

madmax7
04-01-2002, 23:07
What is the range on your vacuum gauge.
I only ask because I would think that you would only see vacuum in the inches of water ranges at best. If you are trying to read in inches of hg, you may not have enough resolution.

Joe Dawson
04-02-2002, 05:58
My gauge reads Hg but is digital so it will read in tenths. If the filter minder gets pulled down then the gauge will read some vacuum. As the filter gets dirty I expect to see some vacuum, that is what the filter minder is for. With the vacuum gauge I'll be able to see it while I'm driving.