PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket exhaust question

LA DMAX
10-09-2002, 19:00
What is everyones opinion on baffeled mufflers vs. louvered mufflers for diesels. The reason I ask is because last weekend I was at the Offroad Expo and there was a guy there from Spintech mufflers. I asked if they did diesel exhaust and he said yes. I asked if he had one for the Dmax and he said no, but he may want to use my truck as a beta tester for his exhaust. They do alot of open wheel and sprint car and winston cup work but on their site I didn't see any diesel stuff. What do you guys think. Here is there web site: www.spintechmufflers.com Any opinion would be appreciated as always.

LA DMAX

mackin
10-09-2002, 19:14
====>Any opinion would be appreciated as always<======

You asked for it ........I would opt for a free flow as possible system on the Duramax as possible.......Quieting noise Baffles create back pressure......I opted for the BANKS.....The muffler is straight threw......You could roll a softball right threw it,sweet .....Noise is very live able in the cab, quite civil.....Outside people tell me it's quite loud????? Roar is deep and notice able when going threw under passes.....I would recommend to anyone.....Fit and finish is superb......

MAC

JrTuner
10-09-2002, 20:45
Baffled mufflers, i.e Flowmaster, do not work on a turbocharged vehicle, diesel or gas. Turbos want no back pressure. A baffled muffler needs individual pulses in order to function properly. On a turbocharged vehicle these pulses don't exist since all of the exhaust gas is routed to the turbo first. Same basic reason why better designed turbo manifolds/headers will actually spool the turbo faster. I also like the Banks kit, fit and finish are suberb and the sound is great. Right now I wish it was a 5" system or at least a 5" muffler and tailpipe.

[ 10-09-2002: Message edited by: JrTuner ]</p>

Kennedy
10-09-2002, 21:39
I have found that a louvered core straight through muffler will yield a more mellow tone while still retaining the max flow capabilities. I had a perforated core 5" on, but it was quite obnoxious.

chuntag95
10-10-2002, 14:04
Kennedy,

Does your system go from 4" to 5" in the muffler or is that an option? I would like a stainless system that gets good flow without making me scream to be heard going down the highway. I had a gasser like that and don't want to repeat the experience. More aggressive that stock, yes, deafening, no.

Thanks,

LA DMAX
10-10-2002, 19:20
Thanks for the input guys. The only reason why I even considered the spintech exhaust is because they don't use standard baffels in their mufflers. They are kinda spiral shaped and they are arranged in a "V" pattern in the muffler to take advantage of scavenging. They flow alot better than your typical Flowmaster or Borla but are not as noisy. I was thinking if it's gonna be free, I may want to take advantage of it. Their mufflers should flow better than the stocker I would hope. They have 4" and 5" mufflers, but I'll still have to think about it. Thanks again.

LA DMAX

mackin
10-10-2002, 20:07
LA

If you can't roll a ball through it you don't want it !!!!!!!! Just say NO to back pressure.......It may be fine as I have never seen one but take a look at it before you buy.....

MAC

tpitt
10-10-2002, 20:57
Advanced Turbo System stainless duals. Nothing better!! Nothing more expensive :( :( tpitt