PDA

View Full Version : Mobil Oil & Green pump handles

GBurton
11-14-2003, 07:49
I don't know if this has been discussed on here or not.
This week I was in a new area and needed Diesel fuel. I started looking around for a station with diesel. I found a Mobil station with a price sign for diesel fuel. Sure enough, lots of pumps with what looked like green diesel dispensers. Because of where the cars were fueling, I just happened to windup at the rear most fuel island. That

Heartbeat Hauler
11-14-2003, 08:18
Traveling back and forth from Indiana to Texas, I have more than once got my truck & 5th wheel in a tight place because I saw the green pump handle only to find I am parked beside regular unleaded. Customer service ain't what it use to be, but as always "Caveat Emptor". For those of you who did not attend Catholic school latin class......."Buyer Beware". :D
BTW I have noticed that the quick stop type places that carry Amoco are the same way with pump covers.
JP

DMAX Daddy
11-14-2003, 13:52
The new Mobil I use has yellow diesel covers.

Go figure...

letsgo
11-14-2003, 15:46
I learnt very quickly to READ THE LABEL when pulling in for diesel fuel I have never seen so many different colored handles in Canada and the USA what happened to standardization???? black, green, red, blue, and yellow

It pays to have an education.

WhiteDiesel
11-14-2003, 17:41
What irritates me is when all the diesel pumps are blocked by cars, because they only see green handles.

george morrison
11-15-2003, 07:23
At the end of a very long day last week while driving back from southern Kentucky, I very nearly did the same exact.. It was a fuel stop I had used many times before and lo and behold, the green handle pump was now on the low test gas portion, I had the pump handlle in hand, ready to engage! I don't know what stopped me but I stood back and looked, traced the hose to the overhead to find it to be indeed gasoline! The pump dispenses 4 products: low, mid, high test gasoline and diesel. Both the low and diesel had green handles...
It is not a Mobil station..
One must be *very* careful when fueling at a combined fuel stop. It is sooo easy to get a load of damaging gasoline, especially in areas that have a number of combined fuel/gasoline dispensers on islands..
George

gene smith
11-15-2003, 08:07
Bad Deal
Being illiterate (can't read or spell) and color blind, Thank god, I can smell.

Geno

MaxACL
11-15-2003, 14:00
Geno, You could spell "Illiterate" and I couldn't.

BTW You know why Oklahoma (I saw your sig.) puts "Oklahoma is OK" on their license plate? ...They can't spell 'Mediocre"

Mike :D

gene smith
11-15-2003, 14:47
MAXACL
Funny I owe you one, ain't gonna brag yet

BOOMER SOONER BOOMER SOONER

Geno

AlanL
11-17-2003, 10:15
Not that I plan on ever doing so, but what *would* happen if you put gas in your diesel?

Would it just rot out the gaskets and seals and such or cause more catastrophic problems to things like the injector pump, etc... ?

-Al

letsgo
11-17-2003, 10:36
I sprayed ether into the intake of a hard starting diesel once (before I new what I know now) Some of the piston tops wound up in the oil pan, glad it wasn't mine.

Oh well I'll never do that again.

DmaxMaverick
11-18-2003, 17:55
Alan

No worries if you get a little gas in the tank. Any more than about 20% could cause problems, but nothing catastrophic. It would either run really bad, or not at all. Problems that come up, if ran for a long time at high concentration, would be poor pump/injector lubrication. Less than 20% is no worse than "winterized" #2. Some manufactures, including GM in the past (up to 10%, IIRC), even recommend mixing gas or kerosene with the fuel for extreme winter temps. I have a '77 mercedes 300D owner's manual that makes the same recommendation.

In any case, if you get any more than just a splash in it, it is probably a good idea to either remove it if you can, or dilute it significantly. Anything over about 10%, I would recommend adding some lube to the fuel, in addition to any normal additive. Motor oil or 2 stroke oil would be fine in a pinch. You never know. It might not be possible to have it removed at the location it happens.

Several years ago, I had to make an exit from the back country in my '85 blazer with too little fuel on board (ruptured a fuel line--surprise). I had to run on a 30-40% mix of #2 and saw gas. It was only about a 60 mile trip and it ran fine, only with a little less power. Motor got really quiet and never came up to temp.

I've had 2 Mercedes Diesels, and my wife has run a bunch of gas through them. They'll run on over 50%. I'd guess she got about 75% in one once. It ran like crap, but she drove it 60 miles home.