PDA

View Full Version : Can the Allison take it??

kevin21
11-14-2003, 08:58
I have the hot juice and was wanting to add propane. Quetion is, can a stock Ally take it? I'm guessing, NO!

Is it worth the extra power to go with the propane or is it useless since you can't get it to the ground?

403turbo
11-14-2003, 09:37
short answer: NO!

Actually hot juice 125 horse is the limit. And the jury is still out on how long the Alli will take that level, its not forever.

Propane would put you in limp in no time. And limp it a few times and you are abusing the clutches, easier to slip the next time. Next thing you know you can't put the HJ down to the pavement.

No more than 125 horse without an upgrade of some sort.

Heartbeat Hauler
11-14-2003, 09:58
403Turbo,
If 125 is the hp limit, what is the torque limit? Reason I ask is, I have installed the Banks Stinger kit 73hp increase, but the torque is over 600ft.lbs (claimed). Any concerns here?
BTW, if the truck does go into limp mode, how is it cleared?
JP

403turbo
11-15-2003, 05:24
This is really a trans thread so it might get moved......

Anyway, we don't normally talk about the Alli in terms of torque, but maybe we should.

The Alli will take some serious abuse, but the thing we are learning is that over time it can begin to loose its edge. It is mainly due to TC slip and certain clutch packs that begin to slip under high load. The hard parts of the Alli are stout, very stout. But we can chew up clutches.

The accepted rule is this. The Alli can take the Reg.juice @ 90 and 250 LB-FT for a long time. No one has noticed a decrease is tranny performance at these levels. The Alli will take the 125 tune for a while, but slowly over time you may see slippage. AS the power numbers go up, the life of the Alli goes down. Unless you upgrade certain key parts. I won;t go into all that.

Short answer: the stinger kit shoudln't be able to hurt the tranny, be smart with it. If you tow heavy help it out by using the Tow/hual, keeping the TC locked and not beating it to death.

Otherwise no worries!

Oh yeah limp mode.

I have limped mine twice (before the suncoast)and each time I simply shut it down and let it sit for a little while. Limp mode would clear, I would have a normal trans but the SES light would stay on for several on/off cycles.

I'm sure it leaves a code in the computer, but that would have to be cleared by a scan tool or dealer Tech II

MaxACL
11-15-2003, 14:06
What kind of issues would I see with the ZF-6 past the 125HP mark?

Mike

afp
11-15-2003, 17:45
Yes, it is torque that tears up trannys. Think of locking the input so it won't move. Then put a torque wrench on it and taking it to 750 ft lbs. That is what Normal juice level four does.

Blaine

403turbo
11-16-2003, 04:22
MaxACL

I don't have much experience with the 6. I have heard that clutches can be smoked and flywheels might need to be upgraded but I think that is at higher hp levels.

I think that 125 is the universal "number" for driveline upgrades. Anything beyond that and you are driving on borrowed time.

But I am not educated on the ZF. I have cracked torque convertors in the Alli, but thats a different story :D