PDA

View Full Version : Engine loosing power+more

twaddle
11-14-2003, 13:29
Earlier this week I used a neighbours 2001 Duramax to test a scan program.
We noticed that the engine revs would not steady and were constantly going up and down especially at low idle.
Also when we tried to scan the vehicle kept on disconnecting from our laptop. When it did connect for a very short time (10-15secs)it showed a code P089
My neighbour reckons the truck has been idling like this since he got it 3-4 months ago.

Tonight he informs me that yesterday the dash warning lights were lighting up when the truck was driving, engine didn't falter just the warning lights coming on. He stopped, restarted and the all warning lights went out except the ABS light.

Today (ABS light still on)he was pulling a trailer with 3 golf buggies up a long steep hill when the engine suddenly lost power (the revs dropped from 2500-3000rpm to under 1000rpm).
It didn't stall, just dropped in power and revs.
When he realised what was happening he pumped the gas pedal a couple of times and the truck continued as if nothing had happened.

I haven't seen the truck yet so all info is over the phone.
The truck is a 2001 K2500 Duramax/Allison extended cab with 200,000km on the clock. It was imported into Scotland from Canada about 5 months ago.
Any help would be appreciated.

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland
twaddle@globalnet
And I thought only 6.5's did this kinda thing.

Kennedy
11-14-2003, 18:30
It's probably running on the old software programming. There have been MANY updates for things like lopy idle, generic OBD2 scan tool compliance, as well as reduced power, filter minder on, and PO101/103 etc...