PDA

View Full Version : OE Fuel Filter Question

Dawg
04-01-2002, 13:41
Does anyone know who makes the OE fuel filter? Is is Isuzu? I was told recently that Racor is a secondary type fuel filter and may not work as well as the OE. IIRC the Racor seems to be doing a fine job. I am about to install my first one and want to make sure I get the correct one. I can get the Racors for a lot less money than the AC Delco. Any thoughts?

DmaxMaverick
04-01-2002, 13:54
I'm on the 3rd Racor and about to install a 4th. No problems to date. I think they seal better than the OEM's. I had to take one of the OEM's back after I couldn't get it to seal and had the fuel drain back real bad in cold (10

mdrag
04-01-2002, 15:13
Dawg,

Previous posts on the Racor fuel filters indicated that Racor makes the OEM fuel filter for the Dmax. I put on a Racor not that long ago, and it is identical to the OEM on the outside - when I cut open the Racor I will compare it to the OEM and post the pics...

Try a search on Racor and you should come up with enough reading material to keep you busy for awhile... :D I have pics of the OEM fuel filter cut open at the link in my sig...

Dawg
04-01-2002, 15:27
Thanks you guys. I was pretty sure the Racor was OE. I remember the previous posts, then I started doubting myself. :eek: At any rate I will pick up my case of Racor and use them knowing I didn't pay the dealer price! I have a real good local Chev dealership here in town, and they give me good prices on everything I've ever needed. They still can't beat the Racor price.

Thanks MDrag, I'd like to see the Racor cut open.

cantravel
04-01-2002, 20:04
Would you like to extend the life of your fuel filter? On my Volvo 770 12.7 ltr Detroit, I have a glass top fuel/water separator/heater. This winter I have been using Howes Diesel Fuel treatment at the recommended amounts.

Usually, without the additive, I get 3000 miles before the filter is clogged. With the additive, I am getting 17,000 miles and the filter is only 30% used.

We can't see inside our Duramax filters, but it's safe to assume that diesel fuel treatments will extend their life too, just like my Volvo.

Most likely any quality diesel fuel additive will work. Howes works for me and I have been using it in my Duramax all winter.

Time will tell.

01 Chev K3500 D/A LT Crew LBx
Diesel Page Member #40

DmaxMaverick
04-12-2002, 04:42
[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: DmaxMaverick ]</p>