PDA

View Full Version : Help ! Need Answer

MNDucker
04-01-2002, 13:47
I have 2500 miles on my new truck. Absolutely no problems until yesterday, and again this morning.
Going down the freeway at about 70, using cruise, truck was "coasting" after just cresting a hill,
a clattering/clicking noise came from the engine area, and a huge cloud of white smoke came out the exhaust, power was lost. All of this in a 2 or 3 second period. After that, everything wnet back to normal. Same thing happened this morning on the way to work. No error indicators on dash and all gauges show normal ranges before and after. I've never owned a diesel before and this has me spooked. I've owned several new Chevy trucks and suburbans and do not expect this.
Please respond with some ideas on what mey be wrong. This has me spooked. This is a 2002 2500HD 4 WD crew cab with Allison/Duramax.
Thanks You.

Kennedy
04-01-2002, 14:05
I think one time in the 7k Ive driven my Dmax, it has done just a quirky missing thing like you describe. Bluewhite smoke, cleared up and never came back. I dont think Id be too excited, but would try to get it to the dealer to check for codes ASAP. The codes will cycle out with run cycles, so dont wait too long.

MNDucker
04-01-2002, 15:19
Would bad fuel, or water in the fuel do this?
I would be less worried if it had just happened the one time.

DSLPOWR
04-02-2002, 20:13
I had a bad fuel filler neck on my 3500 and kept getting water in the fuel. If you didn't drain it when the light came on and you kept driving it when it was wet out occasionally on the highway it would cough and white smoke would come out of the tail pipe. Draining it and adding a fuel conditioner helped until the filler neck was corrected.

Amianthus
04-03-2002, 10:48
Water in your fuel could do it. So can a bad injection pump. So can bad injectors, bad sensors, and on. I would suspect the fuel first. Use an additive and see if that helps. If not, bring it to the dealer and have them give it a once over. I've heard of the same problem with a bad HP pump. Anyone else?