PDA

View Full Version : clink,clunk on take off?

speedracer
04-01-2002, 16:02
At the 40,000 mile mark, and starting to notice a thud when taking off from a stop, actually a couple of clunks, kind of like when a brake cylinder has a delay releasing. But my guess is its the 2 piece drive shaft making this. I have a 2wd so the bulletin referred to only 4wd, but now I am thinking this might be a problem down the road, its not awful yet, but I would hope this could be fixed?

MudNurI
04-01-2002, 16:12
I can't help you with this- BUT make sure you bring it to the dealer for this problem NOW before your warranty is gone... that way if it is nothing "happens" until after, you have the paperwork to show that you were in for the exact problem while under warranty etc.. once they give it back to you and say its "fixed"..if you EVER hear the noise again- bring it back in.

we had a Cadi STS that had nasty front end noises..I mean HORRID! I must have brought that to the dealer 10 times, every time they said NOTHING was wrong, 7500 miles after warranty, I bring it in for something else- and hmmm look at that struts are gone, weird how that happens..luckily for me, John's family has bought enough rigs from this place that they replaced them after warranty for no $ out of my pocket, but had I just been Joe Customer I'd have paid the $875.00...

ah and as another resort- give the ol 800 GM Cares a call, and get a log going on the truck. with this as a complaint. You can't cover to many bases!

hopefully its just something little, and it can be fixed ASAP for you, if it is, be sure to let us all know, I'm 1/2 way to 40,000 miles, and might just be in for a click, clunk!

Brandy

Mic
04-01-2002, 16:56
Speed,

It might be the 2-piece shaft, BUT first check that you still have the plastic isolator in between your leaf springs and the overload ones. You'll get a nasty slap/clunk noise when accelerating.

Joe.G
04-01-2002, 18:06
Read "Slack on Take off". I had the same problem but much earlier, hope this helps.

mguebert
04-01-2002, 21:09
I have had that problem since day one, I also have a 2wd and they tell me it is totally normal, that is the biggest bunch of bull. Anyway the dealer tried to pass it off telling me I was using my left foot to brake, causing the allison to downshift hard on take off. Let us not forget for a moment that I never use my left foot (grew up driving manuals) but I also explained that I tried downshifting to 1st before rolling to a stop and it still does it. They said "Well there is no problem it is normal"

I am sorry a $38,000 dollar vehicle should not clunk like a $7000 chevette. :(

Wilky
04-02-2002, 09:31
Sounds like a u-joint to me. Most likely the u-joint between the drive shaft and the rear axle since it takes the most stress. Note, if it is the u-joint and G.M. is still using those stupid glued in caps, you will need a press to remove them. Of course, to save money, you can have your drive shaft replaced under warrenty and get new u-joints.

polaris800
04-03-2002, 08:12
Can anyone tell me more about the T/B on the 2 piece universal with 4 wheel drive. I have this and amy have some problems with viberation untder speed.

Jerry

mdrag
04-03-2002, 15:01
Topic moved to 2500HD/3500 HD TRUCKS & DRIVETRAIN forum.