PDA

View Full Version : California emissions and smoking update!

Desert Diesel
07-08-2002, 15:25
Got my truck back yesterday after a month of R&D at TTS. I was complaining about how badly my truck smoked with my old program and the EGR turned out to be the culprit. The EGR system also turned out to be a real PITA to deal with. You 49 state guys don’t know how lucky you are. Numerous solenoids control the EGR system and countless hours of fine tuning of the ECM program were required to coax as much power as possible out of the truck without interfering with the EGR. The effort has really paid off though. I have gobs of power and NO SMOKE. I’m happier than a pig in you know what. This is a towing program and I still need to get my trailer out and make a run to the desert to check EGT’s but so far so good.

My truck is also sporting a reprogrammed TCM. No more soft shifts!
Even though I’m running a towing program and not a race program the shifts a firm and crisp, way better than stock.

I can’t believe how great these 2 programs work together.

Regards,

David

Kennedy
07-09-2002, 08:36
Awesome! Can't wait to try it!

hoot
07-09-2002, 09:02
So is there something new coming out that deals with the Allison shift firmness?

DMAX Daddy
07-09-2002, 09:32
Well once I get my buggy I will definitely be interested! My wife has now relented to a power box for the truck, as long as it doesnt smoke :cool:

Desert Diesel
07-09-2002, 10:34
Hoot,

By reprogamming the Allison trans computer TTS has addressed the issue of shift firmness and resolved it.

Regards,

David

hoot
07-09-2002, 10:47
David,

I guess the question is.... how do the masses obtain the reprogramming?

SoCalDMAX
07-09-2002, 10:49
Desert Diesel,

That's great to hear! Keep us posted about EGTs. Do you already have baseline EGTs from stock?

I'm curious about the TCM shift firmness. Since the TCM learns and adapts to your driving style, did he do something to change that and make it stay that way?

I really think Cole knows what he's doing, I just wish there was a better way than removing/replacing the ECM.

Regards, Steve

Max_Nani
07-09-2002, 11:28
Desert Diesel

I see your signature for TF 50 gal. in bed. Do you feel safe with the setup?
Where are you in Anaheim Hills? You're only 20 minutes away from Chino Hills. Maybe I can see your setup 'coz I'm new in diesel trucks, upgrades and mods.
My email addr: naniako@yahoo.com

Thanks
Nani

Desert Diesel
07-09-2002, 13:16
Hoot,

In the short term one would need to send their TCM in for reprogramming. In the future I believe a programming module will be available for purchase.
You may want to contact Kennedy since he will probably know more about that than I.

SoCalDMax,

Unfortunately I didn't have gauges while it was stock to get a baseline EGT. I am however still running stock exhaust and tires, and the goal is to keep EGT's below 1400 on a stock vehicle without gauges. My max with the previous program
was 1381.

Yes the TCM reprogramming takes the adaptive learning into account and adjusts accordingly.
Once I tow with it I'm sure I will find out whether or not more programming will be required.

The PowerLoader programming module will be available soon in a towing or race version so that you can upload the program yourself.

Max-Nani,

The Transfer Flow tank is the best system out there. I feel extremely safe with the setup and never worry about it being behind the cab.
I live off the 91 between Weir Canyon and Imperial Hwy. Feel free to stop by and check out my truck sometime. I will email you my number.

Regards,

David

Desert Diesel
07-20-2002, 23:19
Finally got a chance to sit down and post some towing EGT’s.
Last week I took my truck and trailer and kids for a run to In-N-Out for lunch.
Unfortunately as we passed the local In-N-Out burger joint my kids realized I wasn’t kidding when I told them we were going to Victorville via the Cajon pass about an hour and a half away for lunch. Total CVW for this trip was about 17,000 lbs.

As we headed out the outside temp was 95

CONCORDMAX
07-25-2002, 22:52
I understand what the ECM and TCM stand for but what is TTS? :confused:

Desert Diesel
07-26-2002, 08:42
TTS Power Systems AKA The Turbo Shop. They'er in Compton CA. They specialize in ECM reprogramming.
TTSPowersystems.com

DMAX Daddy
07-26-2002, 08:53
Link to website is working now (dang firewalls) I TTS is in Compton there is a very good chance Ill be visiting them. Of course, the trip back MAY get me into trouble with the updates in place. :D

[ 07-26-2002: Message edited by: DMAX Daddy ]</p>