PDA

View Full Version : New member just saying HI

Johnny Diesel
11-17-2003, 15:39
Well after months of sitting on the outside looking in I finally joined. I feel the least I can do is try and give back any knowledge I may have gained. A little about me- I am 40 years old,married with three children and have served as a decorated Police Officer for over eleven years now. After owning close to 100 vehicles,no exaggeration there,I bought my first diesel. Traded in an 02 2500Hd 6.0 for an 03 GMC 4wd Ex cab Dura/Ally combo. Great deal with almost 10,000 off sticker of 42K. SLE with power seat and Xm radio,locker rear,plow prep pkg for my 7 1/2 Western proplow,heated signal mirrors and more. I bought this truck because I was sort of struggling with my 6.0 liter to pull my 31 foot Jayco eagle with 14ft slide room (9000 lbs out of the driveway). All the posts I read came true. My first pull was okay but a little disappointing. Got much better after a little break in. Now it will hang with anything on the road. Especially since Kennedy sold me a standard juice box. I have no gauges yet but am having a ball on level 2 regular mode. Thanks to all for the great information. I hope to provide you all with any info I have that can help you too. Thanks,John. smile.gif

BlueOx03
11-17-2003, 17:09
Welcome aboard! Sounds like you've got a sweet ride there, and goodies to boot. Be forewarned, if you hang out here too much, you'll get poor and/or divorced quick! This is a great resource for anyone who owns one of these trucks, whether you race it, tow it or both.

One thing you might think about is send that juice back to Kennedy. Get it upgraded with an attitude. Then you'll have gauges and you can change levels on the fly, which would be nice to keep the EGTs in hand while towing.

Take is easy,
Ox

afp
11-17-2003, 17:14
Welocme. Along with the gauges, all you need now are Bilstien shocks, a front end levelling kit, a good air filter, a 4" exhaust system, bigger wheels and tires, the Predator to reprogram the speedo............................

BTW, this never ends..................

Blaine

Johnny Diesel
11-17-2003, 18:04
The standard juice on level 2 still has me grinning as I can smoke most anything in the stoplight grand prix(not that I do that type of thing) :rolleyes: and am reluctant to try level 3 or 4 even with gauges. I think this is a good all around level for daily driving especially in the rain and upcoming snow. I think the increased torque of level 4 (and the heavy foot) will eat the allison a bit prematurely. I will say that the juice has made my most expensive vehicle(so far) drive like it should have for what I initially paid. I am glad I took my westin step bars and my drop in liner and dee zee full diamond plate tailgate off my 02 when I traded it in. Buying accessories adds up quickly. Hmmm now what exhaust/intake combo do I want?? Gotta go the wifes comin.........

afp
11-17-2003, 18:16
The experience of many seems to indicate Normal Juice on Level Four is fine for daily driving, but tow-haul should be limited to Level Two, maybe Level Three for a light load. Of course, you need gauges to know for sure, but even WOT runs on my truck when empty do not push the EGTs too high on Level Four.

The circuitry in the Juice pulls power (defuels) before it can hurt the Allison. The Juice samples slipage at something like 100 times the rate the factory TCM samples slippage, so the Juice will react before the TCM.

However, Hot Juice may very well hurt the Allison w/o beefing it. Edge is adamant about this.

Blaine

Johnny Diesel
11-17-2003, 18:40
I forgot the juice defuels when it senses the allison slip. I really do have to try one level 4 run. Okay maybe two with engine nice and warm. Trans temps concern me though. I remember last winter plowing in a 2 foot blizzard with my 02 Hd 6.0 and the trans temp hit about 200 a few times and I thought this can't be good. In reality not really hurting anything :confused: I have hit 200 trans temp in this truck with no juice pulling 9000 lb trailer and bed full with camping gear and beer and my wife and 3 kids in the truck. I was going about 72-75 mph up hill on I380 aircond on and I blew a trailer tire :eek: and didn't feel anything. Just heard it,truck still pulling at 72+ mph. No problem-a real locomotive this truck is. I am really a gauge watcher. Even if the stock gauges are not really accurate they at least offer a point of reference I guess.I am prepared to see 200 trans temp while plowing this winter and I will not that stop me from earning my extra money. I guess I put enough of a load on it camping nearly every weekend in summer and plowing like a lunatic when it snows. Now to find the instructions on resetting the juice level!! :D

afp
11-17-2003, 19:04
Johnny,

Realize it may take a few fukll throttle runs on Level Four before the Allison "learns" it's okay to run that hard. Af firt, the defueling will be so noticeable it will fell like you have a manual, put in the clutch and liften the throttle. However, after a few passes the defueling will be much less. Regadless, the defueling doesn't hurt ETs as much as it feels like it should.

Also, I'd not plow on Level Four. You really need to get the gauges to see how much power you can apply when loaded.

Blaine

Modified
11-17-2003, 20:31
Welcome Johnny D. Great place to learn a lot. Sounds like you and I have a lot in common. I sat on the outside for about one year. I too wanted to share what I knew and help when I could. I got one year on you. I avoided the 6.0 gasser and went straight to the Dmax Ally. We may have the same camper, a 285 bunkhouse 5ver, single slide. I too was disappointed with virgin pull. Much much better with Juice, 4

sdaver
11-18-2003, 04:55
welcome

sonofagun
11-18-2003, 11:39
John,

Welcome to the DieselPage and the world of diesel motoring. You are familiar with the HD truck but the engine/trans combo will only continue to amaze you. The Juice is a good idea. I would recommend that you add a guage system as soon as you can. I pull my rig to Utah each summer and even in level 2 I get some interesting EGTs. Nothing to worry about but if there was something wrong with the truck that I couldn't feel the guage might well tip me off before disaster struck.

Glad to have you aboard and God Bless you for the service you provide to protect us all.

Regards,
Bob