PDA

View Full Version : Water In Fuel Warning Light

ram/tx
07-08-2002, 16:10
I was reading my owners manual, and it said that my Water in Fuel light should come on, in the Message Center when I start the engine, for a check to make sure it is working. Mine does not come on when I start her up, the only thing that showes is the Battery Light. Does anyone else have this problem or is my manual wrong and nothing is suppose to show in the Message Center. Also when she starts, the Alternator gauge take about 30 seconds to move off the discharge and start to show a charge. Is this normal or do I have a problem? Thanks for any help. Still new to the Diesel World.

FirstDiesel
07-08-2002, 16:59
You might have read that in the manual but mine doesn't work that way either. Just battery light on startup. As for the volt meter that is perfectly normal. You have glow [plugs and another heater on when the engine starts and this keeps the voltage low for about 30 seconds.

Tommy turbo
07-08-2002, 18:13
I believe that has been discussed before and that there is a mistake in the book or something similiar becouse none of the trucks I have seen do this either.

matt-max
07-09-2002, 15:59
it's also interesting that my water in fuel light never came on but the tech at the dealership showed me a sample of my fuel with plenty o' water in it.

i had recently changed the filter so maybe it was catching it???

Norquist
07-09-2002, 18:04
What do you suppose the wires are for on the bottom of the trap? Might as well leave them off! :confused:

Flyboy
07-09-2002, 18:22
It's a float switch. There has to be enough water to float the float. I don't know how much water it takes, but I had a friend that found out on a trip to Mexico. Engine wouldn't run much above idle. Had to leave his camper and limp home. Carries a spare filter now.

Kennedy
07-09-2002, 20:37
I still say CONDITIONER is the best way to remove water! Filter or not, the pump can and will suck water right through it...

NutNbutGMC
07-09-2002, 21:00
^....Ram/tx... I commend you on the proper spelling of the word "GAUGE"..... Finally someone spelled it correctly..... :D

[ 07-09-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

ram/tx
07-10-2002, 17:18
Thanks for all the info an the Gauge ;) Probably the only word I have spelled correct in all my post. Now I won't have to go to my dealer and raise cane about my water in fuel light not working and this will make both of us feel better. I have been doing a search on the High Idle Mod but can not find any instruction on how to do it. Does anyone out there still have the instruction on how to do this mod? :confused: