PDA

View Full Version : Brass fitting in manifold to hold EGT probe

stillracing
04-01-2002, 23:33
Has anyone checked out their brass fittings to see if they are holding up well to the heat.

I can't find a SS fitting which threaded, only found weldable ones.

SoCalDMAX
04-01-2002, 23:42
stillracing,

The fitting that came with my SPA sender appears to be SS. It's holding up well. I don't know what dia. my or your sender is, but mine looks the same dia. as one of those meat thermometers. If yours is the same dia. maybe you could contact DIS, Kennedy or SPA to see where they get them. It's a SS, I/8" NPT, compression fitting.

Regards, Steve

stillracing
04-01-2002, 23:46
My EGT probe is 3/16 inch. I have a dual temp guage PYRO 2001. Also looking for info about best location to tap into post turbo area.

madmax7
04-02-2002, 09:17
I can get the fittings needed in 316 stainless.
Its what I do...
jmedhurst@aztechcontrols.com

;)

Kennedy
04-02-2002, 11:30
For post turbo applications, I prefer the clamp in style thermocouples. The simplest location is immediately below the Vee clamp in the first pipe of the exhaust system. Dont fret that it is 24" away from the turbo, blah blah blah, We have a similar situation with the 6.5, and between the elbow of the turbo and the std downpipe location you will not see a significant difference.

Add to that the fact that the clamp in style is very easily installed (just drill a hole) and you are in business in nothing flat!

I should add: SPA has changed their probes. They are fat with a single 45

sonofagun
04-02-2002, 11:42
John,

Where do you get the clamp type hookups? I'm about ready to get my guage installed and would prefer to go that route too.

Thanks,

Bob

Texasoilman44
04-02-2002, 12:20
son of a gun,

I just installed mine as John described. The clamp is just a standard stainless radiator hose scew clamp, with a hole drilled in it so the thermocouple can pass through. You will also need a collar that has some type of setscrew in it, and a packing washer.

Regards,

Kevin

Kennedy
04-02-2002, 15:31
Bob,

The problem lies in the mix/match of different mfrs hookups.

Kevin has the ISSPRO gauges which use a different connection than SPA. I use all plug in type (weatherpak) on the ISSPRO stuff, and SPA has the ring eye terminals. One could run the ISSPRO probe with ring eye terminals, BUT we have no idea if the calibration will be correct. Theoretically it would, but unless I had both probes at a known temp and compared the values...

On mine, I went in the PS manifold as that is the type of connection SPA provided...

sonofagun
04-02-2002, 16:28
John and Kevin,

Thanks guys.

Bob

GMC D-Max
05-02-2002, 16:57
What is the recommended style of thermocouple? I'm looking at ISSPRO's website, and there's the standard thermocouple with the NPT mounting, the adjustable depth mounting, and a short reach one for small dia. pipe. I know the pipe is plenty big for any of them, I just want to make sure I get the best one for the job. (Mr. Kennedy?) Also, are you guys sold on ISSPRO, or is there another brand of instruments I should look at before making a final decision (Autometer, Stewart Warner, etc.)? Thanks fellas!

Amianthus
05-02-2002, 20:49
My Isspro uses a "K" type thermocouple. The fitting is brass and is 1/4" NPT. I think brass is a better material for this because if you need to replace or change out the TC, the brass will not bind. SS or Steel could gall and be bound up but good (unless you use an anti-sieze).

I believe the SPA uses a "J" type TC and it is 1/8" NPT (I think). It is smaller and uses SS hardware. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with either TC though.

Whatever TC you choose, you should have it in the middle of the stream flow to get the best results.

pinehill
05-03-2002, 01:49
Does anyone know if Isspro has fixed the whining noise problem on the signal conditioning box yet? Even though it might not bother my ears, it would drive my dog bonkers.

Texasoilman44
05-03-2002, 07:45
My 2 cents worth.......

I prefer the clamp style. The reason behind my preference is the fact that drilling, tapping and inserting a threaded fitting into exhaust sytem hardware is risky. How many times has anyone had a broken stud on an exhaust manifold? They are a real pain to dig out. I would hate to have to try and dig out a SS fitting from my exhaust system. Brass is not much better, especially if you do not work with brass hardware much. The tendency is to overtighten them and then they snap off.

Just my thoughts,

Kevin

hoot
10-02-2002, 11:20
"I should add: SPA has changed their probes. They are fat with a single 45

More Power
10-02-2002, 14:26
We've used brass fittings for EGT pyrometers since 1997 on four different diesel engines. Some of these have run to 1500 degrees EGT - short term.

Never had a problem with the brass. Never heard of a problem with brass.

MP

zip
10-03-2002, 00:23
The brass fittings should hold up without problems. The melting point of brass is @1680 degrees f. If the exhaust is getting that hot :eek: we're in trouble.
zip

sixl
10-03-2002, 07:51
I had a powerjoke before my dmax and I got the egt to 1769 and never did any damage :eek: lucky