PDA

View Full Version : Quadzilla tuner installed

king D
08-02-2003, 12:11
well it goes like this i spent about 30 minutes typing a post on this yesterday and the page crashed when i tried to [post .i type slow so this is the cliff notes.my tuner has 70,11,135,200.the first tune i put in was the 70 and went for a ride took a few minutes to mate tuner to ecm but once done under a minute to program.to adjust speed limit you either say yes or no and its done not incrementally.it has a spot for tire calibrations but i didnt need it so i didnt try it.the 70 hp tune wasnt overly powerful but runs extremly cool so cool in fact it promted me to stop and check my pyro for loose wires but all appears fine.with this 70 tune it actually runs cooler than stock.i next installed the 200 file and off i went i drove 30 or 40 miles playing giving the tranny time to learn,the good thing about this 200 tune is that it doesnt smoke bad under moderate accleration ie...passing somone on a back road but when you lay into it looks like a forest fire coming down the side of a mountain.the time finally came to try out the 200 on a full throttle run and i took of from a stop no throttle and stop it..it took about a tenth of a second to realize that Quad had slipped a little suprise in for me as my redline was resting on over close to the 4000 rpm line.the tranny shifted so fast it felt like a variable drive tranny the only bump i feel is for 5th gear.it doesnt get too awful hot the most egt i saw was still under 1000 post turbo.the power comes on real fast and low.it has the power to spin the tires when you roll into at 40 mph .i have had a lot of products and this by far has the most seat of the pants hp of any mod i have ever tested bar none,and this isnt even the biggest tune.this morning i installed the 135 tune and havent driven it a lot but i know the shifts are unbelievably fast and smmoth just like the higher hp tune.as far as hp goes on the 135 side i dont have a clue but it feels faster than a hot oj on 125 of course more hp it should but it is the speed of the tranny shifts that gives it the feel.i am sure i left something out but i just cam home for lunch and decided to post a fast one.if there are questions i will try to answer them ...more to come... jess

Burner
08-02-2003, 12:22
Jess, What's up?

Burner------> :D

WhiteDuramax
08-02-2003, 12:25
KingD, what is the price on the 200hp tuner? I need more power for sled pulling, I have a pretty hot custom predator tune and it does pretty good, but I need more power and am looking into this new tuner, the hot VA or a tst comp, which one do you like best? which one is the best for the money? thanks

king D
08-02-2003, 12:46
white duramax as far as price goes on the custom tuners i dont know call and ask quad,he didtell me that whatever combo of tunes someone wanted they can get from like 70 or lower up to over 200.the over 200 tunes will be released later next week.i should have one some time next weeK.quad tells me that the biggest hp is gonna give that much extra again i cant imagine.the next thing is which is best ,i dunno depends on what you want i have never had a tst comp,i have an edge comp and a 225 va which or as of now both gonna be sold.the quad tuner has so much more rapid responce power compared to the others that i cant describe it you will have to ride in one to check it out.also quad says he can adjust these tuners in the mapping to help the stock trannys hold higher hps on shifts,now this may not mean 200 but i dunno call and ask what your application will be and what he can do for you

WhiteDuramax
08-02-2003, 13:04
Kingd what is your email, or you can email me xltlimited@hotmail.com I have a few ?'s

Silver Bullet
08-02-2003, 14:41
King,
Is the Quad defuelling any while shifting?

GMCTRUCK
08-02-2003, 16:12
When I talked to Quad he said the rev limiter was raised to 3700rpms. MSRP for the full comp. tuner is $1500.

mackin
08-02-2003, 17:28
Originally posted by king D:
i have never had a tst comp,i have an edge comp Where did you get it ?? Not so easy to get the program I hear.....

Mac :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

big dipper
08-02-2003, 18:43
Where did you get it ?? Not so easy to get the program I hear.....

Mac
I second that!!

Kinda glad though to tell you the truth because this Stealth box seems real nice. I can't wait to get a hotter tune. And to think, I was about to spend 450 to eliminate my top speed limiter.....gheesh!

George

So far Quads service is right up there with Edge, just in case anyone wanted to know.

mackin
08-02-2003, 20:06
Originally posted by big dipper:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Where did you get it ?? Not so easy to get the program I hear.....

Mac
I second that!!

Kinda glad though to tell you the truth because this Stealth box seems real nice. I can't wait to get a hotter tune. And to think, I was about to spend 450 to eliminate my top speed limiter.....gheesh!

George

So far Quads service is right up there with Edge, just in case anyone wanted to know. </font>[/QUOTE]I'm not dissing Quad ,quite sure he is a stand up tuner ..... I would luv to check out the Stealth ......

But I'm not a seat of the pants ,analyzer ..... Some one claims to spank the Juice ,prove it in reality ......

Mac
;)

king D
08-02-2003, 20:23
first off my email address is kingcrooked @aol for those that want to ask me questions.my redline is higher than 3700,but custom tunes are just that i thibk you can pretty much get what you pay for.and mackin were did i get it from, i told you in ims a month ago who got the chip for me.also mack you are right seat of the pants wont tell the whole story,but fact is this quad tuner on 200 mile spin the tires at over 40mph,and i am not talkin about wet roads.and since we are talkin about edge comp boxes you told me you have one will it break the tires aloose at 40 on dry pavement ?if it does it must be one hell of a lot stronger than mine ,dont get me wrong i am not trying to knock the edge comp,i think i even mentioned that the reason this tuner felt so bad ass was because of how fast it shifts,and lets face it most people are never gonna have the oppotunty to dyno thier truck but they will have the chance to blow someone away at a stop light.fact is i expect alot of this trype of tuners to come along very shortly but this one is here now and for me works very well.i will hopefully get to the track this week and no times dont mean hp but mph out the trap does il post what i get.just a note i plan on trying to stack the edge comp with the tuner to see if i can get anything besides mad egts....jess

king D
08-02-2003, 20:25
just a thought il be willing to meet you half way mackin if you wanna feel seethe power let me know

big dipper
08-02-2003, 20:40
Mac,

Someone short sheet the bed or what?

Give it a week or two. There will be a more out and will get some numbers. Great thing is, these Stealths with the high tune are EASY to get, all you have to do is call and place your order. Doesn't seem that way with the comp juice, right? I have been promised one for a month. I can't see it worth getting on my knees for............

I can also tell you that power isn't always proven on the dyno, the street also gets the job done. There is a lot to gain in a shift.

George

[ 08-02-2003, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: big dipper ]

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-02-2003, 20:59
My baseline dyno number was 249 HP/422 TQ

Hot OJ -- ONLY --- &gt;&gt; 387 HP/721 TQ

Using those numbers, HOT OJ's putting down 138 RWHP and 299 RW Torque. :D

Bill's truck dyno'd out almost the same exact numbers with my box on his truck.. :eek:

Non-Plugged wastegate at 25-27 psi of boost with a stock airbox and just a K&N Filter. :D

Seat of the pants. Not a true measure of HP & Torque, not all trucks are alike. :eek:

GMC ;)

mackin
08-02-2003, 21:05
Mac,

Someone short sheet the bed or what?

Give it a week or two. There will be a few out and we will get some numbers. Great thing is, these Stealths with the high tune are EASY to get, all you have to do is call and place your order. Doesn't seem that way with the comp juice, right? I have been promised one for a month. I can't see it worth getting on my knees for............

I can also tell you that power isn't always proven on the dyno, the street also gets the job done. There is a lot to gain in a shift.

George Lets back the train up a bit ..... The number and or application to beat is the 125 Hot Juice ......

Can more power be applied ?? Not saying it can't ...... I seen a VA 225 sputter to a 422 ish ...... :rolleyes:

So ...... http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

What is Stealth actual numbers ...... Web page claims one thing Emails anouther,who's supplying info any hoo ??
All I'm saying is Talk Is Cheap .......

Real World ......

I dyno'd near 141 over stock off a "Hot Juice buck and a quarter" no BS " with the ink to prove it upon request ...... Yes, readily avail to ANYONE ......Call your local supplier Hot Juice Program ......

Every body wants to play, I'll back it up ...... You know where I stand Big Dipper .....

Mac ;)

[ 08-03-2003, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: mackin ]

mackin
08-02-2003, 21:45
Originally posted by king D:
i thibk you can pretty much get what you pay for.and mackin were did i get it from, i told you in ims a month ago who got the chip for me.also mack you are right seat of the pants wont tell the whole story,but fact is this quad tuner on 200 mile spin the tires at over 40mph,and i am not talkin about wet roads.and since we are talkin about edge comp boxes you told me you have one will it break the tires aloose at 40 on dry pavement ?if it does it must be one hell of a lot stronger than mine ,dont get me wrong i am not trying to knock the edge comp Jess

I'm no doubting you ......

My resources tell me the extra ordinary boxes are not avail thru anyone ..... So I wonder what you actual received as a so called Comp box ??? Loaner ??? Truly a mysterious so called Comp box ??

Lest us not also forget your tranny is not stock ......Or is it,Again ???

Soon my brother, soon .......

Mac ;)

big dipper
08-02-2003, 22:52
Funny things around here, people say crap about others who are loyalists............

There is one thing about being supportive of a company, but these guys don't pay my bills.

Hey Mac
I think I said in another post in response to you, Edge has always met their advertised number and in most cases exceeded. No on here is doubting that. Hell, if all you want is for him to program a 140hp box and call it 115hp, maybe we can put in a suggestion.

Gmc,
In your post you said

Bill's truck dyno'd out almost the same exact numbers with my box on his truck.. Then you said

not all trucks are alike. So which is it? :rolleyes:

Don't confuse any of this. You guys get way carried away with a lot of crap. No one bad mouthed Egde. No one even said what they have is not a very good product. Good god guys, give someone else a chance, you haven't even seen the thing let alone drive it and you are already bashing. Kinda the same you did with the Predator and ended up buying one anyway. :rolleyes:

Another weird thing is for less than the price of a standard Juice, you get "advertised" (ok for you uptight guys?)more hp, removed speed limiter, adjust for tire size, and the abiltiy to read and remove codes......and you guys are doubting it.....sounds like a deal to me. I KNOW I KNOW-----this time we are talking hp, forget all the other stuff, right?

You kill me..... :rolleyes:

big dipper
08-02-2003, 22:55
Sometimes it's like it's not even worth sharing any info.......

If you don't get flamed here, you get talked about off the board.

Lose Lose situation!!!!

king D
08-03-2003, 06:32
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mackin:

I'm no doubting you ......

My resources tell me the extra ordinary boxes are not avail thru anyone ..... So I wonder what you actual received as a so called Comp box ??? Loaner ??? Truly a mysterious so called Comp box ??

Lest us not also forget your tranny is not stock ......Or is it,Again ???mack this is not going were we need it to go,this is turning into a ****ing match and i dont remember ****ing on you first but if i did it must be because of high winds.i told you who got me in the door for the edge box and you are corrrect that they didnt want widespread knowledge of them getting out because of people wanting and getting them with transmissions that couldnt handle the power and then tearing them apart.as far as the mystery box and who sent it i talked to aaron myself and the whole reason i got it was because i have access to the bd and the sun transmissions.there are several boxes which have all comp programs on them that folks like jk or others have i was going to get one of those but didint want it,i told aaron i wanted usable hp that is why i was given a box with 75 90 125 and stupid, aarons exact words.now i dont like putting this on the web cause i dont want to offend anyone that helped me get this box,but that is were it came from straight from edge but a supplier made the deal happen,and you already know the one,and to be exact the box isnt called a comp the too versions of juice that have all the power are the tranny killer and tranny destroyer written in ink on the back of the box,people that have them have called them varios things i choose edge comp and perhaps i shouldnt have taken poetic licensesbut i did.by the way what kind of programs do you have is it a killer or a destroyer program,my box was soupposed to be one of a kind so i called it a comphopefully mystery is solved.
Soon my brother, soon .......

lets use this column to talk about the tuner good bad or other wise,offerstands i know your not scaired but then again you know i am not either.bottom line call quad order a stealth with big power and put it in your truck and see what you get,i dunno how it will react with a stock tranny but there is a 30 day money garrantee or like i said be happy to meet up show you my edge my stealth and let you ride in both of them on the truck and in case yours is better than mine il run yours to just for a comparison.dude edge still has agreat chip i never said it doesnt this is something new give it a try or let it go....until jess

mackin
08-03-2003, 07:59
First off guys I'm not peeing on anyone's parade .... Share all ya want Big D, I'm not flaming you on or off .....

All I'm saying is people seem to be comparing power to an Edge Box that doesn't exist ..... ;)

If Quad box blows away all it's competitors Yippee for $400 bucks .... I'm not defending I'm just stating facts as we know them ......

I received E-mail saying the web page claimed numbers are in correct .... Who supplied said numbers ..... http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

In the same E-mail it was quoted in part,
Made sure it would beat the Edgehttp://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

So like I care really ..... So I stir the pot why not ???? Nothing personal at all .... If we all sat in lolly gagged around you or some might think an Exhaust system and AFE will yield ya 50 big-ones out back ..... http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/blush.gif

Perhaps I may try a Stealth,duno I have bigger fish to fry right now ....

Guys don't take this stuff serious .... I don't care who's on top, just having fun getting there .... So don't take it wrong, OK I have no beef with anyone except GMCTRUCK .....

Mac http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-03-2003, 08:50
Funny things around here, people say crap about others who are loyalists............

There is one thing about being supportive of a company, but these guys don't pay my bills.

Gmc,
In your post you said
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Bill's truck dyno'd out almost the same exact numbers with my box on his truck.. Then you said

not all trucks are alike. So which is it? :rolleyes:

Don't confuse any of this. You guys get way carried away with a lot of crap. No one bad mouthed Egde. No one even said what they have is not a very good product. Good god guys, give someone else a chance, you haven't even seen the thing let alone drive it and you are already bashing. Kinda the same you did with the Predator and ended up buying one anyway. :rolleyes:

Another weird thing is for less than the price of a standard Juice, you get "advertised" (ok for you uptight guys?)more hp, removed speed limiter, adjust for tire size, and the abiltiy to read and remove codes......and you guys are doubting it.....sounds like a deal to me. I KNOW I KNOW-----this time we are talking hp, forget all the other stuff, right?

You kill me..... :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE]Big Dipper,

Let me say you might have misunderstood my post.

You say alot is gained in a shift, you are right, it's adaptive learning of the Allison. When you roll a dyno number the TECH II commands 4th gear lock and TC lock. True numbers, not street seat of the pants feeling.

If you advertise a number, back it up with the proof.

I AM NOT dissing QUAD at all, don't get the wrong idea. :D

It seems that most guys , myself included have tried other boxes, programmers. We however in CT are lucky enough to have a dyno available to try out any combo's and boxes.

I will tell you the only truck putting down more HP/TQ is Jesse's Handshaker. Some of us here in CT are running a combo of EGDE HOT OJ and some stacking, close to TST's #'s but not the same drivetrains for a true comparison.

Jesse Handshaker ( 6 speed )has a lot of RW Torque due to the Allison being out of the picture, not too far ahead on the HP though.

Edge so far has put down great numbers, as you can see it meets or exceeds the advertised numbers.

Quad's box, When I get to see it apple to apples on a truck or someone posts the numbers for everyone I will believe it.......

Call me a skeptic, I like to see the proof's in the pudding.

Quad, from what I read is a respected tuner and standup business man with excellent customer service. ;)

I just would like to see it and experience it for myself before I comment any further. Great if it does what it is claimed to do...

IMHO if it's $1500.00 for the comp version/tuner it's very close to the price of a HOT OJ and a Predator. All in one too.

More HP than a standard Juice for less $$$, if you get the standard version, sounds like a deal.

Time will tell..................

GMC ;)

[ 08-03-2003, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]

orange2
08-03-2003, 08:55
So mac, are you saying you like your edge or what? :D Isn' the big quad box more like 1500 bucks, not 400, or am I looking at the wrong info? What will the stealth do to my stock 6 gear and clutch, remember I don't pull anything. Would like to do some truck pulls but I always seem to miss them. King has a 200 plus hp box from quad, not jus t the 135 hp one, correct? If the edge wasn't so hard to change tunes on, I would just get the hot juice, or maybe they have changed that? I don't have an auto to go change tunes in that easily. I should stay off here, this is looking expensive. My dad has to spend 3500 for a tranny in his dodge to get it to hold his edge and he only has the ez. tongue.gif

orange2
08-03-2003, 09:01
You fellas have this all worked out by the time ai get back from sturgis, that is a direct order from the high commad post!! I gots to get ready to go, you all have a good week. :D

mackin
08-03-2003, 11:02
What's to work out ??? ;) Can't wait to see the Quad numbers .... Edge is lacking on the 6 speeders .... :eek:

KingD one more thing I forget the Tranny question was sarcasm case you didn't know .... I aware you have a BD and your Auto can put the useable and more power to the ground,then the average ....

Good luck with the Stealth .....

Mac

king D
08-03-2003, 20:33
Originally posted by orange2:
What will the stealth do to my stock 6 gear and clutch, remember I don't pull anything. Would like to do some truck pulls but I always seem to miss them. i would give quad a call and ask i dunno King has a 200 plus hp box from quad, not jus the 135 hp one, correct? tongue.gif my tuner has 70 110 135 and 200 ,...jess

Silver Bullet
08-06-2003, 23:01
I am going to visit Quadzilla Friday afternoon...if I like what I see I am going to get hooked up! Just lookin' to go with the perfromance tuner since it is comparable to Hot Juice.

Any body know if the way it shifts is OK/better/worse than Hot Juice??? I know the Quad tuner builds pressure in the tranny and is not defuelling...is this good or bad for the tranny???

king D
08-07-2003, 04:19
Just lookin' to go with the perfromance tuner since it is comparable to Hot Juice.

Any body know if the way it shifts is OK/better/worse than Hot Juice??? I know the Quad tuner builds pressure in the tranny and is not defuelling...is this good or bad for the tranny??? [/QB][/QUOTE]
it is a very good deal for the money.as far as the ****s it is hard for me to say,i know quad has spent alot of time researching the isue of shifts defuel and tranny survival,i suggest when you co to the shop ask for the info and i am sure they can explain it to you and then report back and ley us find out what you know

Kennedy
08-07-2003, 18:05
I'm going to try to load mine tonight and play with it tomorrow on the way to Manitowoc.

Now if I could only find the confounded destructions... http://visordown.com/forums/images/smilies/burnout.gif

king D
08-07-2003, 18:56
jk just plug it in it takes you thru step by step

cmadmaxman
08-07-2003, 20:10
Hey king D,
Just got mine today. Had to go the the HOG meeting tonight, so did not have a chance to mess with it. Like Kennedy said on destructions!
I have not used a programer before.
When programing and the programer pluged in, can you start the engine? And can you program diffrent levels while the engine is running?
Thanks for the help.
kornfused :(

Kennedy
08-07-2003, 20:18
Yeah, I figgerd it out, just wanted to see what options, and requirements there were.

Went really quick. Much quicker than the Predator which takes 15 seconds plus for EACH step.

Try nearly 4500 rpm on for size. Doesn't seem to be pulling too hard up there, but it will go there. EGT's are through the roof, but it'll do it on a quick jaunt to 95-ish in 4th gear.

Definitely does snap the shifts off nicely, but my initial impressions are good HP, but a little soft on TQ and responsiveness. The dyno will tell the details though...

Smells nicer at idle than most boxes likely due to timing. Has a very dry smell like a PSD. The timing seems to be fairly aggressive as judged by a slight increase in combustion rattle at lighter loads/APP.

I backed it down to the 150HP setting for now as the Extreme was a bit hard to drive in stop and go driving.

orange2
08-07-2003, 23:17
Hey jk, egt's are throught the roof, you mean really hot or are they lower than you expected? Sorry we didn't hook up at sturgis, got the fatboy bearing fixed by about 5 on monday and then went and checked in at the hotel and just went to one eyed jacks and got drunk. Went to a concert on tuesday out at buffalo chip, I don't know why anyone would stay there, what a mess. Night ranger was awesome, tesla sucked, ithink they were drunk or high. Got 14 mpg on the way out, only about 11 on the way home bucking a south wind (60hp setting). I'll give you a call after your vacation, got to get some gauges and exhaust. :D

cmadmaxman
08-08-2003, 05:19
You are right king D. I got an e-mail back from Quad on the install last night. I got the tow programer and it is listed at max setting 150 hp. Great people to work with. They burn the midnight oil!
Here is their reply for the install:

I apologize, I didn't realize that our printer had messed our instructions up so we have been sending them without them.

When you plug it in basically follow on screen instructions.
First there is a key pad test.
It will then tell you to turn your key on but do not start.
Then it will ask you to choose:
Engine Tuning
DTC CODES
Other Options

Select engine tuning. Then you will see it check your vin# and go to unlocking ECM. Don't touch anything just let it go and you will see a counter start.

When it is finished it will ask you to:
Unleash the Power
Return to stock

Obviously you want the power so follow the on screen instructions.
After your speed limiter and tire size is calibrated it will ask you to choose performance level.

Spd Cal/Gov Only
Tow Performance
High Performance
Race Performance
150hp Extreme Performance.

I can't remember the tuner you bought, but if you look on the back of it, you will see the sticker that tells your power levels.

Use the arrow keys or the +/- keys to select your levels, when you are at the desired level select it with the Y button.

After you select anything other than Tow Performance a screen will tell you what hp level you selected.

It will make changes and then unlock the ECM, again it will have a counter and it will tell you when you are finished.

To make changes do the same process. After you have installed a tune the next time you select tune engine it will shoot you right to the Unleash the Power screen, so you can pick up there or return to stock. The only time it saves stock is after you return it to stock and then re-tune it.

It is very simple and it is almost bulletproof. If you have problems be sure and call us.

Thanks,
QUad

Boy its going to be a long day at work today before I can play!!
:D

Minn-kota
08-08-2003, 06:49
Originally posted by cmadmaxman:
[QB] I got the tow programer and it is listed at max setting 150 hp. Isn't the "TOW" programmer listed at 110HP according to the website? Can't wait to hear some feedback on this unit.

cmadmaxman
08-08-2003, 08:43
I know it is listed is on the price list as 95 hp, on the details says 110 hp, and when I got the box it says 150 hp for the high setting.
Will let you know my feed back when I get it installed tonight. I have drove BD's truck :D with all the tricks last year in BC and have a hypertech in a truck of a friends, so I have something to compare to.

SoCalDMAX
08-08-2003, 11:27
Where is the Quadzilla website? I couldn't find it.

Thanks, Steve

Corndog
08-08-2003, 11:58
Steve
Its quadzillapower.com

CPMac632
08-08-2003, 20:46
I played with Quad's tuner for a while today. Pretty cool to be able to run 108 mph in drive with an allison.

DIESEL 5
08-08-2003, 21:08
WOW, :D TELLS US MORE PLEASE !

cmadmaxman
08-09-2003, 05:45
My set up: Stock exaust, AFE Stage 2, Isspro gauges, 265 75R 16 Michelin LTX M/S, and FPPE fuel treatment.

Got mine installed last night and went stright to the 150 hp extreme tune. (I have the tow tune)
Load up went quick. You have an option to take the RPM limiter out and able to change tire size from 25" dia to I think 41". When you take out the limiter it ask you if you have read that you accept libility relese as provided, that I did not get. (no paper work at all!) Quad did send me the e-mail that I posted in this thread that helped during install.
When changing tune it goes faster but you still need to go through and asked if you want to take limiter out and tire size each time before slecting your tune. Anything other than the tow tune (lowest setting) it informs you that you need an EGT gauge. (you bet!!!)

The test: 150 hp extreme (I know it says 110 hp on their site)
No change in how it sounds at idle and when on the road sounds a little like when the pilots shut off. Even before the truck warmed up it was strong. Hard to wait untill it warmed up! It would smoke some when you put your foot in it cold, and about the same after the truck warmed up.
Seat of pants :D :D (no dyno in my barn, or in Columbia that I know of). Vary fast as soon as boost comes on 25+ lbs and you best be watching the EGT's. (going to need that 4" exaust) It goes to red line fast! Shifting seems to hesatate (de-fuel?) The trans, I think, needs to do some learning!

Then I tried the 70 hp setting. It will still tell you that you need gauges.
Was very strong as well with not as much smoke, and then only when you realy stomped it. Boost droped to about 22 to 23 psi. and EGT's are more managable. When in it you can keep it at 1250 easy (my red line pre-turbo).

Have not tried the other tunes yet and can't get to my trailer at this time to give it a try. As soon as I do I will post my results.

Sorry for the long post but hope this helps.

Corndog
08-09-2003, 07:41
Ordered mine yesterday, Mark said he would ship
on Monday!!! :D

Dog

jesshd
08-09-2003, 10:15
Would you mind being a bit more specific about the EGTs on the settings that you have tried? With the Predator, wooded from a stop, I can hit 1400 by third gear. With the Juice on the 90 hp setting, I can keep it at around 1300. Towing with the Predator on tow tune, it is not hard to get it over 1300 on a long uphill in 4th.

Jess

cmadmaxman
08-09-2003, 10:56
I will keep a track on this but won't probably have the trailer on untill I head up for HD's 100th on the 24th. (24ft tag custom car hauler, combined wt. 17,000+- with bikes on board)
When on the 150 extreme tune, if I would keep it at 1200-1300 degs., I would run out of speedo real quick! Don't now how high EGT's will go, have not tried!

Like I said, will keep track of it and get some runs in today after work and get back. I'm running stock exaust so your temps I would think, be lower. I was wanting to get a base line with the stock exaust, because I plan to have a 4" system soon! ;)

Kennedy
08-09-2003, 16:51
EGT's are cooler than the Predator with the exception of the Extreme which maxes out my gauge at 1784

Silver Bullet
08-10-2003, 20:32
Holy sh!t JK! Can I roast marshmellows at the end of your sewer pipe??? :D

I picked up the 70-90-110-135 unit on Friday. I like it. In the 110 with my foot thru the floor I think I saw EGTs in the 1250 range and in the 1350 range in the 135HP setting...IIRC, nothing over 1400.

I have spent most of my time in the 135 or 110 settings...the 135 setting is very driveable...your go peddle is not so sensitive that you are jumping everytime you give it a little push. I really like the 110 setting as seems well balanced and not a lot of smoke...I know this is a drawback for some! I do get a nice cloud in the 135 when I drop the hammer.

My only problem was in the 135 I believe my tranny was slipping just after shifting into 5th if my foot was thru the floor. I have no problems if I apply less than 3/4 go peddle. My tranny is bone stock with 51K miles.

This unit is not currently tapping into the TCM (IIRC), so it is not monitoring tranny slippage to know when to back off the power. This can be good or bad depending on your POV.

It takes a few minutes to to "marry" to your truck the first time, but it goes very quickly if you plug in for a change after that. When you go back to stock it "divorces" and sets everything (HP, speed limiter, tire size adj.) back to stock. At this point you can "marry" it another truck.

I have not played with the tire size adjustment as I want to get a baseline for different speeds with my GPS first.

I have not played with removing the speed limiter either.

My $.02...I like it.

Burner
08-10-2003, 21:57
Could you just leave your Juice plugged in and set to "0" (reverse) and load the Quadd? Would the Juice keep the stock trainnies alive? :confused:

Burner-------&gt; :D

king D
08-11-2003, 04:42
Originally posted by Silver Bullet:
Holy sh!t JK! Can I roast marshmellows at the end of your sewer pipe??? :D

I picked up the 70-90-110-135 unit on Friday. I like it. In the 110 with my foot thru the floor I think I saw EGTs in the 1250 range and in the 1350 range in the 135HP setting...IIRC, nothing over 1400.

I have spent most of my time in the 135 or 110 settings...the 135 setting is very driveable...your go peddle is not so sensitive that you are jumping everytime you give it a little push. I really like the 110 setting as seems well balanced and not a lot of smoke...I know this is a drawback for some! I do get a nice cloud in the 135 when I drop the hammer.

My only problem was in the 135 I believe my tranny was slipping just after shifting into 5th if my foot was thru the floor. I have no problems if I apply less than 3/4 go peddle. My tranny is bone stock with 51K miles.

This unit is not currently tapping into the TCM (IIRC), so it is not monitoring tranny slippage to know when to back off the power. This can be good or bad depending on your POV.

It takes a few minutes to to "marry" to your truck the first time, but it goes very quickly if you plug in for a change after that. When you go back to stock it "divorces" and sets everything (HP, speed limiter, tire size adj.) back to stock. At this point you can "marry" it another truck.

I have not played with the tire size adjustment as I want to get a baseline for different speeds with my GPS first.

I have not played with removing the speed limiter either.

My $.02...I like it. it may just be the tranny learning to shift with the extra power,when you make the 4-5 shift at full throttle let off it justn a bity until it picks up speed and feels right after a few times should shift almost perfect i would think...jess

mackin
08-11-2003, 04:43
Originally posted by Burner:
Could you just leave your Juice plugged in and set to "0" (reverse) and load the Quadd? Would the Juice keep the stock trainnies alive? :confused:

Burner-------&gt; :D Wont make a difference ..... The only way to protect the tranny is keep power levels down untill a upgrade to the Allison is done .....

Mac http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

Silver Bullet
08-11-2003, 07:23
Thanks Jess...I'll give it a try. When I had my NBSU switched replaced earlier this year I had them set it to "slow" learn mode instead of "fast" learn...don't know if this would have something to do with it, but you never know.

Minn-kota
08-11-2003, 07:26
Originally posted by mackin:
Wont make a difference ..... The only way to protect the tranny is keep power levels down untill a upgrade to the Allison is done .....

Mac So what are acceptable power levels for the the Allison above stock? How much can it reasonably take on a consistant basis?

Lonewolf867
08-11-2003, 08:08
Minn-Kota,
That is a great question!! I was just sitting here thinking the same thing. After popping for the new truck and a few accessories there is no way I want to have to start throwing 4-5k and a new tranny. Heck the truck is only month old.
So what is the acceptable level on a tuner. Especially the Quadzilla. Stock tranny..

Thanks
Mike

sdaver
08-11-2003, 08:13
125 additional w/ hot oj because it monitors for slippage..........and give the allison some time to adjust its shifts for the new power....If you have never had any power adders then start at a lower level and build to the 125 setting :D dave

MAV
08-11-2003, 09:32
Max HP?

I was gonna say the 90hp Juice. With almost everyone puting their tranny in limp mode with the 125 Juice, makes me wonder if the Juice really monitors anything at all with the tranny. I've limped my 3500 twice on a 4-5 shift with the 90hp Juice. For the average guy who wants some extra power, the 90 Juice or the 110 Quad should be plenty.......IMO.

GMC D-Max
08-11-2003, 13:27
I've never limped my Allison running in 125hp mode on the Juice. Truck stays in level 4 all the time, and I've even hauled approx. 5,000lbs. across Oregon's coastal mountains in level 4. No limp (gotta watch those temps, tho!).

Uncle Dimmy
08-11-2003, 14:03
OK, finally got on this site. I've been on at the GM-Diesel.com site for a long time now. Anyone that's been there, knows I hang out around the war zone mainly.

Anyhow, I have the 50, 70, 90, 110 Tuner from Quad. Bought it from Quad while in Houston, TX at the Texas Trophy Hunters Association's "Hunter's Extravaganza". Quad and I installed and ran it and let me tell you it is everything it's been hiped up to be.

Quad is an awesome guy to know as well. Really enjoyed doing business with him, bull ****ting, and drinking down a few cold ones too! Tuner works flawlessly. I run it on the 70 HP setting as I'm too afraid of EGT's at this time and have no guages. I did play with it for a while on the 110 setting and :eek: HOLY **** it wakes that truck up. I have 35" tires and it lights them up with ease!

Awesome, and everyone should try one! ;)

mackin
08-11-2003, 14:15
What's up Dimmy ....
Welcome on over ... Digging the Quad huh ... About time you did something ... Awesome when the beast is released ....

================================================
I'm with Mav on this one ... Safe and reliable .... If you want to push it, save some cash,ya never know ....

Mac ;)

Silver Bullet
08-11-2003, 20:37
These last few posts got me thinkin'...I am not out to be the fastest thing on the road, I just want a little extra pick me up...Red Bull for my Dmax! I think I am going to stick to the 110hp Quad tuner and keep my stock tranny around for a while.

BowTieDmax
08-12-2003, 06:07
I recieved my Quadzilla tuner ( 70,110,135,215 hp)last friday and all I can say is it has makes tons of power. The power comes on a little different then the juice. So at first I wasnt to sure about it. Because with the juice you have instant power when you hit the go peddle up to about 1/2 throttle. But Quads comes on about 1/4 and just gets stonger and stronger untill the go peddle hits the floor.So far in the 4 days Ive had its been in 4 truck pulls. Ive driven it around for 3 days in the 215hp setting. Its hard to explane the power this truck has. Ive had the juice since it came out and then the hot juice but wow this pulls hard. And of course I just could'nt let the juice lay on the seat without being used so I've been playing with different power levels on each. I even pulled at one truck pull with the Quad 215/ hot juice 60 and no melt downs.Yes I still have a stock tranny that been behind the juice forever and the Quad will slip the tranny if you roll onto the throttle in fifth.The only thing that I'm not sure if I like about stacking is I like Qauds not having the defuel with the shifts but when you stack the defuel is back. Well I dont have much time so gotta go get the truck ready for a pull tonight. :D

Kennedy
08-12-2003, 07:53
It really is hard to put a finger on it, but it does make insane HP up top! :eek:

WOT with the ATS stage 2 will put a serious bark on the tires at the 1-2 shift.

A simple 8psi 2wd launch will put tire spin up to about 70mph with only 20 mph or so ground speed! http://visordown.com/forums/images/smilies/burnout.gif

If you run it in T/H though it is quite soft. I'm told that there are beefier torque curves coming which should beef this thing up.

RPM limit is said to be 4400 My observations were 4300-4500 based on tach so that sounds correct.

I'll be cleaning house to make room for this programmer in my modules section! No more waiting 3+ months :rolleyes: for a performance tuner and dealing with the inquiries/getting a bad rep :mad: ...

[ 08-12-2003, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: kennedy ]

king D
08-12-2003, 08:27
i have talked with quad a few times and he feels he can make more power and quicker than what the current 215 tune does .he will be going back to the dyn o in the weeks to come and start fine tuning for even more power.jess

MAV
08-13-2003, 21:16
My Quad tuner showed up just now. Got the 50-110 tuner. No instructions. I did print them off from page one of this thread. Can't wait till the wife gets home with the truck. Its RAINING though. Does the big brown truck always deliver rain along with perforance tuners? Will update later tonight......

Just curious when it says remove RPM limiter, does it rev to 4300? Or is this just with the 215 tuner? Can you select say 3700 rpm?

MAV
08-14-2003, 01:29
Nice tuner. 5 min max to set up. 1.5 min max to change tunes. RPM is still stock. Raises max speed to 140mph. The Extreme 150 hp tune is in the tuner if you use the options menu. There is a phone number to call at Quad. Must be a locking code on that tune. If if you got this tuner, don't think you got 150 hp.....its only 110.

Performance. Compared to my 90 hp Juice box I would say they are very similar. The 110 feels like my 90 Juice. Could be because I got 285's on now instead of stockers. The pedal is touchy but very usable. The Juice has more pull off idle that the 110 Quad. But after 1 sec when the boost comes on it really hauls. The 3-4 shift defuels alittle. The rest seemed crisp. The Juice was really bad at defueling when first installed. The 50 hp Quad tune is not much slower than the 110 tune. It really hauls too. The speedo adjust is very cool. You can adjust for tire size height in 1/4" (.25) measurements. My 285's measure 31 3/4". Speedo seems good but will get a better look at that this weekend.

Not good to test these units in the rain. Kicks out sideways very easy and breaks loose on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. We'll see how it does on dry road if it stops raining. I don't see it doing that on dry road. My 90 Juice didn't.

Overall...two thumbs up!! :D

Burner
08-14-2003, 01:51
Mav, Does your tranny feel like it's slipping? How fast can ya go in each gear? What if you used the shifter to "hold" the thing in 2nd or third, will it rev them? Have you tried the T/H mode? How much smoke do you have @ takeoff? Can you see the smoke when you "hit it" after 30mph or so? What does the thing cost?

Burner-------&gt; :D

MAV
08-14-2003, 09:56
Mav, Does your tranny feel like it's slipping? How fast can ya go in each gear? What if you used the shifter to "hold" the thing in 2nd or third, will it rev them? Have you tried the T/H mode? How much smoke do you have @ takeoff? Can you see the smoke when you "hit it" after 30mph or so? What does the thing cost?
1. Couldn't get a good feel for that...it was raining. I'll get a better feel Fri-Sat. Looks dry.
2. Still shifts at the same RPM as stock.
3. Holding in 2 or 3. Don't know. Will try it though.
4. Didn't try T/H. Will try and report back.
5. It was alomost dark and raining so I didn't even bother to look for smoke. On Fri-Sat will look when its dry.
6. http://www.quadzillapower.com/duramax_stealth_tuner.htm
Click on Chevy pricing at the top of the screen.

MAV
08-15-2003, 15:15
Burner

Dry road finally.
1. Tranny feels fine. No slippage.
2. Will top out at redline like stock.
3. Will not over rev if held in 2-3.
4. T/H feels almost the same.
5. On 50, no smoke at all. on 110, just a hint of smoke and then its clean. Not a black smokin tuner. Even at a stop or rollin at 40. Very clean.
6. You got that answer in the prvious post.

Minn-kota
08-15-2003, 16:30
No smoke???

:(

DMax_Doug
08-15-2003, 17:39
I asked Quad about the level of smoking yesterday via email, and Quad indicated that the 50HP and 70HP settings do not smoke at all, the 90HP "a whisp", and the 110HP a little more. He felt the Quadzilla @110HP smoked less than the Juice at 90HP.

It's got me interested - now if I can just get the Smithsonian to give me something for my Predator...

Doug

MAV
08-16-2003, 02:40
Found out today that the speedo recal function does NOT work on my Quad tuner. Set tires to 25" and 44" and both settings read 2000 rpm @ 70 mph. Will call Quad on Monday. Check yours please and report back.

Kennedy
08-16-2003, 08:17
I have recaled my speedo and it seems fine. I need to fine tune it a bit according to my GPS though.

One thing I did notice though is that my doors now lock at key up whereas they used to be set to lock when shifting into gear. I did not notice when this happened, but will be changing it soon!

heartbeatcanada
08-17-2003, 10:07
Hey Mav

Same problem as mine, speed limiter does not want to be removed(could be an ohmen), and half the time i try to load a tune it comes up error??? GOnna call tomorrow and see whats up.

Question to all that have the 215 tune. What does your rpms top out at when shifting??? Mine are at 3500 and thought they were suppose to be up past 4000, just wondering if maybe i don't have the 215 tune in(maybe just the 150hp) don't know, can't get to a dyno, and just getting things straightened around with the power problem up here. When i install the 150 extreme(215) it comes up on the screen that use of the 215 tune recommends a pyro, so i would asssume it is the 215 as it says so on the screen.

If i am not running the 215i would almost be scared at that much more power, as it is pretty quick,and definetely kills my edge+predator stack. The tranny definetely hates the 4-5, i can barely baby it enough to make it happen, let alone try and see if the speed limiter is off, hopefully tranny will hold together for another week or 2, as replacement should be here by then.
Will see how it compares to a tranny deystoyer.Later Jeremy

king D
08-17-2003, 10:19
Originally posted by heartbeatcanada:
Hey Mav

Same problem as mine, speed limiter does not want to be removed(could be an ohmen), and half the time i try to load a tune it comes up error??? GOnna call tomorrow and see whats up.

Question to all that have the 215 tune. What does your rpms top out at when shifting??? Mine are at 3500 and thought they were suppose to be up past 4000, just wondering if maybe i don't have the 215 tune in(maybe just the 150hp) don't know, can't get to a dyno, and just getting things straightened around with the power problem up here. When i install the 150 extreme(215) it comes up on the screen that use of the 215 tune recommends a pyro, so i would asssume it is the 215 as it says so on the screen.

If i am not running the 215i would almost be scared at that much more power, as it is pretty quick,and definetely kills my edge+predator stack. The tranny definetely hates the 4-5, i can barely baby it enough to make it happen, let alone try and see if the speed limiter is off, hopefully tranny will hold together for another week or 2, as replacement should be here by then.
Will see how it compares to a tranny deystoyer.Later Jeremy jeremy mine usually shifts at around 3150 or less ,the reason you are going to 3500 before shift is prolly because of slippage.the way i get mine to start shifting at 4k or over is to power brake and get the tires smoking and the rpms will go over 4k.in all other applications my shifts arent that high .the reason the exta rpms are added are to keep from defueling while trannys are trying to make the shift.to see if you have the raised rpms try driving in like 2nd or third gear and run your rpms up and see if they go over the 3500 mark.also let me know what you think of the tranny destroyer.

Corndog
08-18-2003, 19:48
Finally got mine today, after UPS hauled it around 3 extra days. (new driver)
Want be able to try it for a few more days.
Ordered a used ECM to use it on, recieved it Friday opened it up and what do I find, a TCM instead of a ECM.
Now I've got to get this straightened out.
Must of been a full moon last week. :D :D

Barry

cdhd2001
08-18-2003, 21:31
Corndog,

Where did you buy your ECM from? How much was it?

Thanks!

P.S. I am trying to find a 2003 ECM for under $1,500.

Corndog
08-19-2003, 19:23
cghd2001
Drop me an E-mail and I will fill you in on the details.
barryu@naxs.com