PDA

View Full Version : Nick (ndamico) Bracket CAT Filter Install

imported_
08-02-2003, 12:45
Traveled to Nick's place in Sacramento and he installed a large CAT filter, pre-OEM, using his bracket that fits up in the driver's side rear fender by the filler neck, attached to the bed frame cross member.

Frankly I was little concerned about the location. However, the position of filer/bracket tucked up high, plus, the 1/4 inch steel bracket shielding provides excellent, literally bullet proof, protection. But, at the same time, it also provides easy access/changeability.

I originally ordered the Mega filter from JK for a post-OEM isntall, however, there was a substantial back order. While awaitng my order all of the air/stall/re-prime issues began to emerge; particularly in relation to the post-OEM position with the Mega filter.

These air issues seem to be getting resolved with the additional installation of lift pumps, check valves to pressurize a system designed to be vacuum operated.

A lot of guys are enjoying this experimentation, but, I just don't have the time and, since my wife drives the truck with my 4.5 year old, I can't afford the risk of stranding them.

Consequently, I chose to avoid all of these problems, plus, possible warranty issue by installing pre-oem. The CAT filter is about a half gallon capacity and should meet or exceed the normal change interval of the OEM fuel filter. In other words, the pre-OEM position of the large CAT filter causes the high change interval to be a non-issue.

The excellent filtration, as confirmed by George Morrison, of the CAT sealed my decision.

Finally, a word about Nick. All I can say is he has been 1st class from a-to-z. He is a true Duramx Diesel enthusiast.

I am very appreciative of the time he took on his Friday evening to install my filter and to do it right. It wasn't free but I got 1000% value for the little bit I paid.

Like I said, 1st class from a-to-z. I forgot, did I mention 500 miles w/o even a hiccup!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

ndamico
08-02-2003, 14:25
Phil,

Thanks for the kind words (and the Corona's). I'm just glad you're happy and that it is working out for you. Take car and enjoy the clean fuel! Please let us know if you see any change (+/-) in your fuel economy. Hopefully your 450 mile trip home will give you a good baseline for mileage improvement.

take care,

Nick

mackin
08-02-2003, 21:51
Originally posted by ndamico:
Phil,

Thanks for the kind words (and the Corona's). I'm just glad you're happy and that it is working out for you. Take car and enjoy the clean fuel! Please let us know if you see any change (+/-) in your fuel economy. Hopefully your 450 mile trip home will give you a good baseline for mileage improvement.

take care,

Nick Nick

Whats the chances of you Emailing me the Filter Base Part number ??

Thanks ......

Mac

Hound
08-02-2003, 22:05
Mac,

1N-3789 is the number that he posted in another thread. Hope that helps.

ndamico
08-03-2003, 00:09
Mack,

Hound beat me to it.. but yes he is correct.

mackin
08-03-2003, 08:54
Originally posted by ndamico:
Mack,

Hound beat me to it.. but yes he is correct. Thanks .....

I waffled around but after seeing the CAT results that's what I'm going with .....
OK I have everything but proper base, I picked up the wrong one .....

Haven't decided where I will mount exactly ..... If I add as pre OEM as you guys have, what are your concerns in reference to water collection ???
The guy at HO Penn said water will not pass thru media, way to tight ..... I'm in a swinging climate New England ....
They say wait a minute it'll change and I believe it .....

Mac

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-03-2003, 09:11
ndamico

Any chance I could get bracket dimensions from ya, looks like I may have to fab up 3 :D .

Thanks in advance ;)

GMC smile.gif

imported_
08-03-2003, 10:57
Nick,

Total miles with the CAT are actually 596 miles inclding my SAC-SF travel and then a side trip from SF to the Half Moon Bay Brewery for refreshments.

No problems whatsoever; starting and everything seems exactly the same as pre-install operation. But, I feel much better driving with the knowledge that my injectors and pump aren't getting sandblasted and are now using finely filtered fuel.

I did not have a baseline average highway mpg solo driving w/o teh filter for comparison to indicate any change in mpg with the filter. I've always had 26' trailer on long hwy trips which averages 11.5 mpg in the Duramax.

The SF-Huntington Beach portion was 427 miles. Although I ran most of this leg with the cruise control pegged at 75 on the open road, my overall average mph was 68 mph, at 19.8 mpg. (6 hours and 7 minutes travel time).

There was slow, stop and go, traffic on the 1st 10 miles leaving SF which reduced the overall averages.

19.8 mph seems decent for mostly 75 mph driving. It's almost like a hazard to drive any slower on the I-5. Keeping with normal traffic, I averaged about 80-85 mph on the way up but I was trying burn fuel to lighten to tank before we dropped it for the install.

It was nice to fuel-up just outside of Sacramento and still have about 10 gallons left over when I got home after about 585 miles, total - thanks to the Transfer Flo 45 gallon tank.

Mackin:

I use Primrose 405 which has the water emulsifier. Hopefully that will help most of the moisture out of the system.