PDA

View Full Version : Chipping Question

Murf
08-02-2003, 18:19
Say a regular Joe with no shop, not even a garage really (full timin' now) wanted to get one of these Preditor or Juice deals to up performance. Is it necessary to then also get all the guages, 4"exhaust, etc,etc to make one of these units work. Obviously the more mods you make the faster the rig/better the towing - but I'm looking for the easy fix - something that will improve my performance via chipping but not necessarily going full out with a lot of extra mods - basically I just want to plug something in and go. Is this possible? Safe? What would the minimums be and what would the best unit be for what I want to do?

Thanks - Murf

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-02-2003, 18:44
Murf,

Gauges are a must if you are using a box or programmer. You would be surprised to see the EGT's especially while carrying a load or towing.

There are a lot of choices out there now but you need to decide what is enough for you. For some of us it will never be enough. :eek: :eek:

GMC ;)

afp
08-02-2003, 20:14
Yeah, you really do need the gauges, and you must either keep a very clean air filter or just get the Amsoil or K&N.

Blaine

mackin
08-03-2003, 08:43
Or

There is one Box out that has EGT and Boost monitering built in (TST) and anouther coming soon ,well the Power portion is out ,controller forth coming (EDGE).....

Mac ;)

MaxedOut
08-03-2003, 09:28
If you are going to add a box, you should get gauges - more for when you're towing your trailer. I pulled my 5th wheel "stock" with gauges & established a max. safe EGT baseline. Then I added the juice. Wow - that anoying downshift to 4th up every small hill is gone. :cool: I found I could get to that max baseline faster with the juice when pulling up long hills so I went to the next step - added a 4" exhaust. This dropped the exhaust temps by about 100 degrees. I can still get to that max temp but it takes a lot longer. At this point I take the cruise off & force a downshift to bring the temps back down.
It takes a few bucks to add these three components but in my opinion, this will give you the most bang for the buck.