PDA

View Full Version : Torsion and Chip?

WayCoolKennel
07-09-2002, 07:21
Ok.. just got back with the new truck :D

Awesome.. simply AWESOME ! Cant believe how much more comfortable it is than my F*%^$ PSD and absolutely SMOKES IT !

Anyway... the front sits too low for me.. and I've been reading about lifting the front by cranking the torsion bars.. My questions are this.. Can I do this myself ? If so, does anyone have the procedure ? Also, what's the largest tire that will COMFORTABLY fit without any additional body or sus lift ?

Also, I'm interested in trying a chip... I've read some about the Duramaximizer and the juice.. I will mostly just be hauling (8900# gooseneck)) which is easiest to install and use for hauling ??

Oh.. mine is a 2500 btw...

Thanks for any and all advice...! Oh... I noticed the PSD's don't mess with either :cool:

--Steve

Silver Bullet
07-09-2002, 07:37
WayCoolKennel,
Try searching on "torsion" in the drivetrain forum.(http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=003385&p=)...tweaking is easy, but it can have a negative effect on your ride quality if you go too far. My front sits 1" lower than my rear...measuring from the top of the tire straight up to the fender.

I am running 285's on 16x8 (4 5/8" backspace). This is the reason I had to tweak the torsion bars. I started off running these tires on the stock rims which will work, but the tires crowned b/c the rims are narrow...16x6.5. I was having to run low air pressure to get a good amount of rubber on the ground...this was my justification for getting new rims!!! :D

On edit: I did have to zippy tie my fender wells back in a couple places to prevent rubbing...no big deal.

[ 07-09-2002: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
07-09-2002, 08:48
Congrats on the truck!

I have a theory (others have said this too) that the truck might have this nose down stance for aerodynamics. We'd have to get numbers from quite a few members to see if there's any correlation between stance and mileage.

The torsion bars are easy to turn with an 18mm socket. Use a tape measure to measure from frame to ground side to side as well, they often come lower on the driver's side. My dealer did the final adjustment and did an alignment, all free.

As delivered, mine came low enough it was compressing the front snubbers slightly. I cranked up the DS about 7 or 8 turns and PS 4 or 5 turns and it rides much better. the suspension still has plenty of travel in both directions. If anything my front suspension is still softer than the rear and I've got the shocks adjusted to try and compensate.

I've got 255/85s, ride very smooth and are 33" tall, no rubbing at all. Looks better than the stockers. 285/75s look nice, 33" also, but I wonder if the rolling resistance is any higher and the tire mfrs and shops don't recommend them on a 6.5" rim.

I'd just buy a Juice (for the low end torque) and set it however you like (recommended #2 for towing and #4 for stoplight derby). 10 minutes later, you'll be out shredding tires and shopping for new ones... ;)

Regards, Steve

hoot
07-09-2002, 09:12
Steve,

Looking at your pictures you show your propane feed hooked into the intake at the resonance chamber. Do you have an inner tube that feeds into the airstream?

Reason I ask is just dumping propane in that chamber may not give you good flow. I would prefer it to be pumping directly into the moving airstream. I would venture to say the area where your hose enters is "dead" space. It's only there to add volume to counteract resonance (noise) I believe.

I have mine in the filter minder hole with the hose all the way in past the MAP thingy. I don't have that resonance chamber on my 2001.

[ 07-09-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
07-09-2002, 11:00
Hoot,

Yup, the nipple on the resonator is actually 2 sided and the hose on the inside happens to curve into the airstream right where the main tube comes in. I thought the same thing you did when I was planning it, so added the internal hose.

I also wanted to minimize lag, so the boost regulated controller is mounted as close to the engine as possible, propane out/boost in hoses are as short as possible, don't know how much of a diff it made if any...

Regards, Steve

WayCoolKennel
07-09-2002, 13:44
Thanks all !! I appreciate the help !!

Steve, how much difference in speedo/odometer have you noticed with the 255/85's ??

Having the gooseneck ball and brake box put in right now.. then spray in bed liner and then to the cosmetics... I think I'll have the alignment shop tweak the torsion bars just to be safe..

--Steve

SoCalDMAX
07-09-2002, 14:00
Steve,

The tires put speedo/odo about 9% off, I just tell myself 10% when driving. The increased dia makes for lower rpm and it cruises nice.

Regards, Steve

madmax7
07-11-2002, 17:12
WayCoolKennel, GM makes a leveling part (does not affect warranty) that is essentially a cam. When this is installed, the ride frimness is not changed very much. Actually, I think it is improved as the spring rate now more closely matches the rear of the truck.
Either way you do it, remember that you need to have your front end aligned again.