PDA

View Full Version : Bank's Monster Exhaust Installed !

Carli_max
04-03-2002, 10:51
I put the Banks system on yesterday. Went on with no problems. Nice fit. Hardest part was getting the original system off without cutting. The 5" SS Tip looks awesome!! Didn't have much time to drive it, but there is a definite difference. Turbo spools up much faster, and the issopro boost gauge shows about 3lbs more boost. Next, I will install the Amsoil filter. Question. I have an 02' with the new style air box. Do you think it would help to drill holes, or would the difference be nil?? Oh, almost forgot the sound!! I like the sound, more like a low rumble. When you get on it, it sounds throaty! Nice, you'll like it!! smile.gif

madmax7
04-03-2002, 11:11
That is the best exhaust out there!
I love mine! :D

Tractorhauler
04-03-2002, 11:35
I have a friend tell me that when he sees a white pickup all he looks for now to see if it is me is the GIANT nuclear warhead looking torpedo sticking out the rear right.
If he sees that chrome torpedo he knows it is me.
Seriously, I put the amsoil in after the banks and I just love it but if you drill the holes and find it better let me know.

Mark

ford2chevy
04-03-2002, 14:30
Do any of these aftermarket exaust systems have a kitty? :confused:

BradL
04-03-2002, 16:01
To those who have installed the Banks system, any problems with resonance noise in the cab at various speeds?

I have an '01 Crew Cab SB, and want to make sure I don't end up with any resonance from whatever system I buy. It seems any resonance concerns I have read about have been more from gas motors.

mackin
04-03-2002, 17:27
madmax7,

I have decided, I'll be going with BANKS. Big company, sell direct, no middle man. How is the sound? I have heard some others I am sure the are as good or better. You do not have a digital for PICS? Would you cut and paste their URL so we all can check out banks web page? There was some problems in the beginning. I'm sure the have it all ironed out now.
MAC :D

MaxNouT
04-03-2002, 18:01
A question for the people that have purchased the Banks Monster Exhaust:
How much will I have to cash out for the system? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Biodiesel6.6
04-03-2002, 18:46
Mackin or anyone else!

I installed the Banks a few months back. I was looking under the truck this past weekend and I see quite a bit of RUST starting. In NY, salt is used in the winter and taking a liking to the system. I would check with some of the guys that bought Kennedy's system that live up north and see if rust is starting on theres! We had a mild winter and not much salt used this year. I also wash under the truck to rid the salt.

I see $$$ in replacing it in a few years! :(

I think JK's might be the better system to go with

MY .02

midwestdmax29
04-03-2002, 19:33
I'm in the rust belt, and even though I haven't had my Kennedy exhaust on all winter, it's taken several good salt baths. NO signs of corrosion. As far as resonance goes, a bit at 62-65 mph, but not annoying. Above 65 and you don't even hear it. It takes a day or two to get used to the extra rumble at low speeds, but if you want your truck to sound as strong as it runs, get yourself a 4" exhaust!

mackin
04-03-2002, 20:08
Is it rust or discolor? Is it rust at the welds?Don't they aluminize?What did you pay?I guess I'll have to wax it.........LOL
MAC :D

[ 04-03-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

GM Smitty
04-03-2002, 20:39
I've had the Banks system on now for about 2 months. No rust, great sound. There is some resonance from 1500-1800 RPM. The truck is just so darn quiet in stock trim, so it took a little getting used to. I actually enjoy the extra rumble now. Installation was very straight forward with good instructions.
I do think that the claimed 30HP increase is quite exaggerated, but there is something extra there with the system installed. I can realy only tell the difference when towing.

Carli_max
04-04-2002, 06:29
BradL,
It's only been on 2 days but I don't hear any resonance.

MaxNout,
When you call Banks, tell them your ready to buy and you want their best price possible. My price was around $600.00. Don't be shy!! Tell them you've been shopping!

Biodiesel6.6,
Is your system stainless?? My stainless system has a limited lifetime guarantee. I also am from NY, and thats one of the reasons I wanted the Stainless, as opposed to aluminized!

Jayhawker
04-04-2002, 10:52
Banks Monster Exhaust system installed about 2 weeks ago. A great mellow rumble below 50. At first, it seemed really loud between 50 and 60 mph, but after driving it a few days it did not bother me. Above 60 no more noise than stock.

armalite
04-04-2002, 11:12
here are some pics of my banks exhaust:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gig

[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: armalite ]

[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: armalite ]</p>

Biodiesel6.6
04-04-2002, 12:07
Mackin,
The system is low grade SS, so it will rust and it will rub off. The iorn in the SS is what is oxidizing and forming rust. How long will it last? I don't know! Time will tell. I paid 675 shipped. There is only one weld and thats up at the down pipe, sizing up from 31/2" to 4". If this was Aluminized steel I dont think it would be showing sign of rust. Dont BE FOOLED by a system that is SS. This is the lowest grade on the market, I think. Good SS will not hold a magnet. If you hold a magnet to this exhaust it should be atracted because of the iorn in it. Thats why it will rust.
So I have a limited warranty that is pro rated. That doesn't me anything. I will still have to buy a system down the road!

My .02

Carli_max
04-04-2002, 12:39
Biodiesel6.6,

Why do you think that Aluminized Steel will last longer? There is still steel in it. I'm not trying to doubt you, just trying to get your opinion. Maybe the finish on your system is defective, and you should be calling Banks now, not in a few years!! Did you happen to scuff the finish while you were installing it, and that is the area's that are starting to rust?? Just wondering!

madmax7
04-04-2002, 13:24
What is low grade stainless steel? If they are using 304 for example, there should be a metallurgy spec that they can share. The magnet test isn't an accurate test also. We have SS in sulfuric applications that is magnetic, and is working fine.
From the standpoint of iron, that isn't always cut and dry either.(Duriron)
Just some thoughts on the matter..

Biodiesel6.6
04-04-2002, 14:04
There is light rust spots over the entire system. It's very light. I think some of the rust is from metal in road salt, dirt and so on. I just looked under my Trans Am. That has a SS Exhaust and that looks fine. It's 2 years old, 7500 mile on it and don't drive it in the winter. I need to keep an eye on the Banks and check it in early summer. If it get worse then i'll give them a call.

Just givin you guys a heads up on what I see. Other than that, I like how it went in and sounds!

mackin
04-04-2002, 14:09
WOW .
I am in the stainless steel business. I'll let it RIP look out. First off 300 series SS (304,316,347,321), etc., is nonmagnetic With one or two exceptions one is when you temper roll 304 SS it will become slightly magnetic due to carbonization to the surface. All 400 series SS (430 , 439,409,etc.) is magnetic and will rust. Go out and stick a magnet to you exhaust they may call it SS but it is low grade SS type 409 if it sticks. If the magnet slides off like snot on a door knob it's 304. That is 304 is the cheapest 188 series (often referred to in scrap when you mix 300 series) stainless and is used in high end exhaust systems. Easily rolled and bent in the annealed condition. They aluminize 409 to make it last longer. Aluminum (products) will Oxidize and stain but not rust. All (most) OEM exhaust and hangers are 409 SS aluminized. I hope this helps..... Now get you refrigerator magnet out there and find out if they ripped you off so they wont rip me off... LOL
MAC :D :D :D

The aluminize 409 because if they did not it would look just like regular cold rolled steel RUSTY. Or like your truck with no paint.....RUSTY. Although it will last longer they want the 409 to look the part, LIKE SS. Type 304 SS will discolor but with a little effort its luster will shine thru. As far as how long will Banks last? As long as JK 's and any other reseller or manufacture of 409 aluminized. There is no secrets to this process ,no one is piling on the alum. As stated prior ( a thread a long time ago on exhaust)if you go for the 304 it would be more for show and shine. No great benefit with a diesel. There exhaust systems from the inside out last longer anyway..........

I'll be waiting for the mag test results........

[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Spoolin'It
04-04-2002, 18:03
Biodiesel6.6,

I think you are on to something with the metal(or something) in the road salt causing the spots. I went to school in Rochester(RIT), the truck I had then was two-tone blue/grey. Every spring there would be little rust specks all over the grey portion of the paint, I think they were too light to see in the blue. The first time I saw it I had a heart attack thinking the New York Thruway and their heavy salting(I'd swear I-90 didn't turn black again until June) were causing the paint to fall right off the truck. It always came off when I waxed it though. There were also specks on the glass of the mirrors if I remember correctly.

[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: Spoolin'It ]</p>

Biodiesel6.6
04-04-2002, 19:46
Spoolin
Your right on about the rust spots, but the Banks exhaust is made from stainless 409 and is not aluminized. So Mackin hit thre nail on the head. I couldn't think of the grade Banks uses. Went and looked at my notes when I talked to the sales rep. It is 409 SS.

I'll give them a call and see what they say about the rust! :eek:

mackin
04-04-2002, 20:08
I'll tell you what if its not aluminized I don't want one. I'm going to retract my .....I'm going with "BANKS" post.......

ARMALITE, What is yours 304?If your getting 304 SS exhaust Turbo down pipe back for 6 BENNYS I may go show and shine. Aluminized? Sure looks Aluminized in the PICS.........Looks like my buffed tail pipe.......

There is a guy in a F**d truck I see all the time with a 304 SS banks dual exhaust system on a (cough) gasser. Sounds really throaty on a gasser. Man it looks sharp. But egg-spensive I'll bet... He has seen my tail pipe too. LOL Especially when I meet him on this big'ol hill ....... LOL

MAC
&lt;----------------"WOW" I double mac'd ya......

MAC :D :D

[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

armalite
04-05-2002, 00:18
Mackin,

Don't know what kind of stainless it is, but it is stainless. The pics I took aren't the best quality. I will try to get a close-up with good focus over the weekend. The system looks just like the stainless steel they use to make large restaurant kitchen appliances with.

Kennedy
04-05-2002, 09:48
Guys, I am far from an expert at metallurgy, but I would ASSUME that the Banks exhaust, like the OE system is aluminized. Aluminized 409 stainless steel...

The reason that 409 is not necessarily any better is:

1) Diesels do not get hot enough to burn off this coating. Gassers do.

2) Diesels do not produce all the moisture, and funky acids that a catalyzed gas burner would.

In a raw form, 409 would last longer than mild steel. In an aluminized form this is not an issue, as the base metal is protected just like the galvanizing on our body panels...

Turbo Al
04-05-2002, 09:57
Salt up here doesn't seem to affect the aluminized system on my 93 (only the welds are rusty). It has been on there for 6 or 7 years. The original system (GM) tail pipe rotted off after about 3 years -- thankyou road salt, I do a lot of winter & offroad driving.

mackin
04-05-2002, 18:13
armalite ,

IIF you want stick a Magnet to it you will know. I'm sure it is 409, magnetic......Just looks like it is aluminized although Biodiesel 6.6 says they do not. He may be right a big mistake if they do not. I would not buy unless I lived south or western USA. That type of Stainless is very DULL no shine without aluminizing....... Plain OLE 409 stuck out in today's environment will stain and rust and not appear very durable. Aluminizing will protect the finish so it will look better in the long run. I hope I was not miss leading that it will last longer because of that coating. No one likes a "rusty " look like past exhaust systems........Any SS is way more durable and last longer than carbon steel (mild steel) stuck out in today's environment......Since the Manufactures went to a 3yr 36k bumper to bumper mileage warranty and beyond that the had to due something or they could be replacing a whole lot of exhaust systems parts in snow belt regions...
MAC

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

BradL
06-07-2002, 06:02
For those that may be considering a Banks exhaust, I inquired as to a cost reduction for not using the 5" tip (I am an idiot deer hunter doing lots of offroad driving and don't need to worry about ripping the thing off!), and was quoted a $35 price reduction without the 5" tip.

Dave_WB3FYV
06-09-2002, 06:02
Did anyone ever consider PAINTING their new exhaust system? I know you can buy header paint at most auto parts stores in White or Black, hardware stores sell Barbeque Grill paint in flat black - and I'm sure HiTemp paint can be found in other colors. The silver aluminized coating is an example. Just like your truck body, seal the metal with paint and it won't rust. Crawl under there every now and then to squirt any spots that get scratched off and it 'should' last forever.

Dunno if I'd go so far as to wax it though... :)

BradL
06-14-2002, 05:50
I installed the Banks 4" exhaust last nite, and am very pleased with the way it went on and the way it sounds.

I have only one concern - clearance between the down pipe and the transmission cooler lines. For those of you that have installed a 4" system, how much clearance did you have between the return transmission cooler pipe and the down pipe of the exhaust? I've got just enough room to slide my finger between the two say 1/2". Any need to be concerned about that little clearance?

Otherwise, the fit of the system was excellent and the installation relatively painless.