PDA

View Full Version : aux. tank...TX guys.

walkerkd
07-09-2002, 09:26
whats the law here in texas if anyone knows.. which one can i hook up to the truck or do all of them have to have the fuel pump style filler? i have them in my other trucks but i use them to fill the tractors and stuff so i wanted to put one in my dmax but im not sure i want the filler hanging up over the cab..!!!

TheMikeZ
07-10-2002, 18:33
I have an "L" shaped on that sits under and next to my tool box. It holds 105 gallons. The only bad thing is that I have to transfer the fuel to the truck tank with an electric pump. But it sure does give you some range. You just drive until the low fuel light comes on, pull over and fill up. If you are towing, you should have a 1,200 mile range or better.

GBurton
07-10-2002, 18:55
walkerkd

Since you are in Texas I would think that a Texas company could answer your question. Try these folks:
www.auxtank.com . I have one of their tanks and I am very pleased with the quality, service and how complete the tank and installation kit was.

George

TBC
07-10-2002, 20:54
From what tank dealers told me the tanks have to meet Federal Transportation regulations on tank connections, etc. I doubt that applies to the tanks where you a pumping fuel into another tank or vehicle but if it is connected to the vehicle system it has to have a rollover valve installed. Best to check with the guys that install them. I have a 41 gal tank and tool box combo and love it. That gives me 68 gallons and I found it to be all I needed on a long trip.

A word to the wise about running the fuel down until the LOW FUEL light comes on. I did that on my aux tank and had done it at home in relatively flat terrain without a problem. I got into the mountains and was waiting for the light before switching and actually the gage indicated I was a several miles before switching. This was based on previous experious of knowing where the light came on. Well in the mountains and possibly some foaming caused the gage to indicate fuel was OK. I had a burp in the engine and all was well for a while longer and after about 2 or 3 miles the SES light came on. I had to stop for construction and when I started out after they let us go my truck was in limp mode and trying to pull a long grade with my trailer. That is no fun. When I topped out and turned into a parking lot I let off throttle and then added throttle and when I did the engine was back to normal and it was a real surprise when it happened. The SES light stayed on and I went to the nearest Chev dealer in Durango, CO and they couldn't look at till the next day. After about 3 or 4 stop and start eng. the light went off. The code showed a large fuel leak. The owners manual says that if you get low on fuel it can cause the SES light to come on. I suspect that is exactly what happened. It sucked some air. I never let it get that low again and have not had a problem.