PDA

View Full Version : Loss of power

saywhat
08-03-2003, 06:04
I have put 23,000 miles on my truck in the last 18 months.When the truck is not completly warmed up it is very quick with little peddle input,shifts up at 1800 RPM.After 20 miles of driving the shift points move up to 2200 RPM and the power just is not as crisp.When pulling my 8,000 lb. fifth wheel it is really obvious how much power is lost after a complete warm up.Starting out with tow haul off you would hardly know the trailer was back there.Even at 55 mph in O.D. very responsive.Drive about 10 miles and the power just drops off.I usually use the tow-haul feature because the power drops off so much.Engine temp runs a notch or two below the 210 mark with the fan kicking in on the big hills towing.Tranny goes 155 empty,up to 185 towing.Have changed fuel filter twice and air filter.Is the engine compartment soaking up that much heat to cause a power loss?Is the intercooler not doing its job?Radiator and coolers are clean.Any one else notice this power loss in their truck?I need some ideas before I go to dealer as they are very reluctant when it comes to diesels,the 6.5 really scared them.

Runaway
08-03-2003, 16:37
Fuel filter changed, air filter changed, any reflashes for your year? May want to check the intercooler hose clamps to see if loose, may be losing boost after warming up. Others who are more in the know about DMAX will chime in. My "03" with 22K+ pulls just as hard with my 9K+ 5ver behind cold or warm. Noticed no gauges so it hard to see if you have lost any boost or not.

saywhat
08-03-2003, 18:10
Checked intercooler hoses and all are tight.Truck is stock with no boost gage.Engine starts and idles good with no oil consumtion.Fuel mileage runs in the high 19 to low 20s.After the first 6,000 miles the engine has made more of the diesel clatter noises.Still stumped!

mackin
08-03-2003, 19:12
Wondering if the Allison is just adaptive to your driving style .....

A cold Allison will shift better, which may seem like induced extra power .... Once fully warmed it will run with your driving "memory" ...

I say get the current reflash and have them flash the TCM to relearn ..... Drive a little more aggressive .....See if it helps ....

Mac