PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying a D/A 2500HD

D-n-Tyke
04-03-2002, 14:50
First off I like to say hellp to all of you. I found this board about week ago and have found it to be VERY informative. I live at a site exactly like this on but for VW Passats (ClubB5.com).
Well as the subject states I am looking into getting a 2002 Chevy Duramax / Alison CrewCab Longbed. But before diving in blindly I want to get all the facts about the truck out on the table. What I want to know is are there any common problems that alot of people are/have experienced? Any major problems with the Diesel engine (this will be my first Diesel. Stepping up from a '95 Z71), problems with the Alison trans (yeah right) or any problems plaguing the truck itself. I know this is kind of an open ended questions but from looking on the board here the only thing that seems to be a constant is the "Tick" that everyone seems to have learned to live with. IF there is anything else please let me know.
Also has it been confermed that the 2003 HD's is getting that GREAT :rolleyes: front end off the Avalanch? If so then I better hurry....
Thanks in advance. And I hope to learn as much here as I did/do at ClubB5.

mark45678
04-03-2002, 15:26
I dont know much about the 2003 models but I can say my 2001 is the BEST truck I have ever owned! there are a few minor quirks with in but nothing major. the allison only problem is towing really heavy loads its hard to keep it in 5th if you ddrive with a heavy foot.I think this a 2001 problem. and if your looking to put more then 400~450 hp to the ground the allison will set codes for sliping.most of the time hd trucks are the last to get body changes I would guess the 2003 will be like the 2002?slight differances. the 1/2 ton may get the ugly plastic beek!

MudNurI
04-03-2002, 16:56
congrats on the "thought" of purchasing a D/A... we have had ours since 10-30-01, and have been more than happy with it...here's my list of things that are wrong- we are now at 21,000 miles

front end- steering shaft rattle. they are supposedly coming up with a fix to this, I have read here that there are some dealers that are STILL replacing it with "broken" shafts, and it doesnt fix the problem, my dealer said they'd be here in January- well, its April not here, yet. We just put almost 3000 miles on her, on a road trip, and had no problems. I dont personally think its a safety issue, if I did, the truck would have stayed home.

some nasty brake fluid leak somewhere, its all over the drivers side engine compartment. It has not yet made it to the doctor for a diagnosis. But its still full of fluid, and brakes are fine. there is discussion on this over at the drivetrain/transmission forum.

tick tick here and a tick tick there,,,,,etc.. not bad, there are some here that are pretty TICKY, mine is VERY intermittent. I think I have only heard it 5-6 times TOTAL,

drivers side head light has a mind of its own, it goes out, and I smack it LITERALLY and it comes back on.

Rear seat belt retractors are shot, they lock up whenever they want to and will NOT release. These are on order, so the dealer has said now for a few weeks.

I think a lot of people's problems, are real problems, however I think we would see them fixed quicker, and more satisfactory if this was not such a new truck. new engine AND tranny for the mechanics to work on, and also for the big wigs to design etc.. of course its going to have bugs to work out.. I am very patient with my bugs, because I tell ya this truck kicks a**!

The last problem with this truck is the fact that we only have ONE. which means I only get her at night, and on the weekends. John gets her all day, which to me isn't fair! But thats a marital problem here... :D

good luck and I hope you find one your happy with, may the tick not be with you!

Brandy :D

TimofCharlotte
04-03-2002, 19:34
Hey DnT, You're on the right track. I wish I had known about this board before getting my truck, but I got lucky with my truck, and have not one regret. I've had mine only a few weeks, so I can't speak for the experience of many of the boarders, but do know that the Duramax/Allison combo can't be beat. The best any brand X boards can come up with is to bad mouth the Japanese (Isuzu) influence on the diesel, and 'supposed' problems with aluminum heads. The truth, they can't argue on any ground the fact that it is the best platform out there at this time, and all expert opinions and tests say the aluminum heads are built for the long haul. People point to how many of brand X trucks are found at job sites, etc...and the reason is simple. If you want the cheapest diesel pickup, go with anyone but Chev/GMC. I compared mine against F**D comparably equipped, and mine came up over $2K more. At this amount of money, $2K isn't jack to pay for the best riding, best pulling, top dog pickup truck on the road. IMHO.
Good luck and welcome to the board.
smile.gif

needbigtruck
04-03-2002, 19:54
Welcome D-n-Tyke. I have a crew cab long box, however I have the 6 speed. We love the truck. I currently only pull a 5500lb travel trailer, but the truck pulls it with ease compared to my 89 Chevy van with a 350 in it. I love the 6 speed. I have had some problems with the clutch pedal, but not for about 8 months now. I think they finally fixed it. I've had a problem with the passenger seat belt, it locks up. I blame that on the super sensitive locking mechanism designed for baby seats. I've heard the tick, but I'm not worried about it. The truck is rather long, almost got stuck in the parking lot at work. not enough room to get out of the spot. That was after some snow and people parked wierd. I work shift work and was leaving after a mid shift and everyone parked around me and didn't leave much room. The crew cab is great. People in the back have commented that there is as much room in the back as in the front. I highly recommend the 6 speed. It really is the best transmission for the Duramax's torque. I'm sure the Allison works but I've read quite a few posts about the shift business, and not staying in 5th. Sorry about the long reply. Hope you get what you want. Good luck. Keep us posted

bluenote
04-03-2002, 21:22
I have the crew cab, but in a short box, 2001 model. Hands down...this is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have had the computer reflashed, and a rattling sound fixed in the steering column, and that's it for problems. I've just broken 12K for mileage, and the power and economy are getting better. I say, buy that beast now, you'll love it!

bora
04-04-2002, 21:01
Hi

I just purchased a 2002 2500HD CrewCab Short Box with Allison.

Only 230 miles on it, and so far I really like this truck. Drives nice, and very powerful too. The interior was so much nicer than the Powerstroke too.

INDI-GO
04-04-2002, 21:36
If you get one with the TICK, take it to a German clock maker and he can make it go Tick, Tock. :rolleyes:

We have had ours since 4/01. 9,000 miles 18 mpg empty. No problems!! Not even the tick

Go for it!!

MACGMC
04-04-2002, 23:11
Buy one you won't regret it. Its my first deisel, changed from Ford V10, no comparision. Mine is an 02 / CC/SB 4x4, w/4000miles, no problems, no tick. I've use it to tow both light (5300) & heavy (14000)and it does great and I start towing at 4600ft going up from here. Only disappointment is mileage, Solo my best is 16.5( HWY)and towings been from 7&8(heavy load) to 10&12 (light load). hopefully it'll improve with warmer weather & miles. Taking it to Seattle unloaded this week, hopefully a good test for milage. If not I'm still happy its a great truck.

SoCalDMAX
04-05-2002, 00:05
D-N-Tyke,

Welcome to the forum! I've got an 02 CC SB, you can see all of the particulars in the sig. Truck pictures are linked below. I LOVE my truck, and if you look at one of my other picture galleries, you'll see one of the wife's cars.

Brand new, that car sold for 3 times what the truck cost me new. I like the truck better. I like the way it sits, looks, rides, runs and sounds. I've done a lot to it, but that's just because I'm always fiddling with stuff till it's broken.

I see you're from Sandy Eggo. Drop me a note at socaldmax@cox.net and we can get together, chat and you can drive it if you like. I'm very sure you'll want one, not to mention I can tell you how I got it delivered to a local dealer for $150 over invoice (courtesy fee.) That was about $4700 under sticker, plus 0% financing. Interest free money always interests me. ;)

Regards, Steve

LPGTRUCKER
04-05-2002, 17:39
Don't delay do it today! The best truck you will ever own. Only thing troubling me is you wanting a long box. If no real need forget it short box is perfect. Enjoy.