PDA

View Full Version : Stock Chevy vs. Banks Ford

big dipper
07-09-2002, 19:59
I ran across this and thought it was kind of interesting. A ford with Banks top performance kit tested against a stock Duramax.

http://www.bankspower.com/im_articles/Four_Wheeler_July02.html

I think John should send them a Juice and let them retest!

Kennedy
07-09-2002, 20:21
All that to get just SHORT of 300rwhp AND an abrupt sign off at 2600 RPM!

The Juice would put the Dmax so far over the top it wouldn't be much of a challenge

Then if we change turbine wheels, housings, intercoolers, pipes...

Hope he was right about turbine wheels whistling, as I have one of the same style!

Yikes! :eek: http://www.dieselautoservices.com/truck%20pic.jpg
:eek:

[ 07-09-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

stretch
07-10-2002, 03:48
I can only imagine what that kit must cost - $$$$.$$ !!!!! Good gains but alot of cash for the increase compared to similar increases with the Juice on the Dmax. smile.gif

D-n-Tyke
07-10-2002, 10:36
So you go and buy your truck, have to take it to the shop and have them put on a very costly "Complete" kit on the truck. "Now I can spank that pure stock Chevy over there" :rolleyes: . What ever man.
I think I will stick with the truck that everyone is afraid of in the stock form. If they wanted to compare these two trucks they should have put the same kit on both trucks and then seen how who out pulled who. Lets hear the out come on that one. Better yet, like Kennedy said, lets let them put the multi thousand dollar kit on the PSD and put a $700 Juice on the Duramax and see what happens.
All I have to say is does anyone remember when Car and Driver TV did their special on the 2500HD D/A (Stock) Vs. F250 PSD (stock). 2500HD blew away the F*#d. enough sad.

hoot
07-10-2002, 10:50
We should all be proud of having the engine/trans combo to beat.

I believe the Bank's system is about a $2900-$3100 upgrade on the PSD, depending on trans type. I found it to be amusing that they did that much upgrading and bragged about it outpowering a stock Dmax.

We throw a fraction of the cost at our trucks with a simple plugin or propane and we end up with higher gains.

Maybe they should have mentioned that ;)

Also they put the Ford up against the Allison. Notice they didn't say a word about what happens to the mighty Ford auto when you add power. Nor did they mention what trans was in the Ford.

The 7.3 PSD is old news but with so many of these engines out there and with all the higher powered new designs quickly becoming available, Banks should have a good market with the 7.3 guys playing catch up for a bunch $$ less than a new truck. They still have to deal with the trans or clutch so there's more $$.

GM still hasn't convinced many that the truck itself can compete overall in the commercial world. I still run into lot's of guys that do not feel the GM compares to the Ford SD. Whether it does or not, GM needs to open some eyes or they won't make the dent they intended. The SuperDuty is the "truck" to beat.

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

zip
07-10-2002, 11:38
Our Duramax-equipped trucks have braggin rights for now- but have you seen the pics and specs for the new D*#ge Power Wagon and the new Tonkas from F*#d? http://www.pickuptruck.com/
I'm telling ya- these trucks are gonna be hot.
I hope General Mother has something else up their sleeves for the Max.
zip

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: zip ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
07-10-2002, 11:44
You're right Hoot,

Ford did sell a lot of the PSDs. Around here, anybody who wanted a CC LB bought a PSD, almost seems as though they came in Crackerjack boxes (for many reasons.) J/K ;)

The one comment I hear the most is, "Is that really a diesel? I can't really tell." Mostly because theirs is idling right next to it.

I have nothing against any other truck, but I sure do like mine (knock on my wooden noggin!)

Regards, Steve

Allison Jettester
07-10-2002, 12:14
I think what this really means is that the Duramax/Allison, in stock form, is now the industry standard to beat! But GM can't sit on their laurels and lose this advantage to the new Mopars and F@#ds.

Jeremy
07-10-2002, 16:53
hoot,

looking at the pictures I believe the PSD has a 6 speed.

hope this helps

SoCalDieselNewbie
07-10-2002, 17:34
I thought that the comparison was funny... about the only time you see a modified vs. stock comparison is with THE SAME MAKE & MODEL.

Also, just a note... Just remember, it was 4Wheel Magazine and NOT BANKS that made the comparison.

In fact, I believe that Bank's products and engineering is top notch. The simple fact that they BOUGHT, i believe it was 2, Duramaxes for research and development... and have only produced and exhaust for the D-max... is a testiment to the Duramax and it's engineering.

WayCoolKennel
07-11-2002, 08:43
The article is completely silly...

I have a 99 PSD 6sp FOR SALE right now... even though I've only got 1k miles on my Chevy DA I'm here to tell you ... this truck is like a Caddy vs Taurus.. no comparison..

IMO, even if power and torque were identical and say F*%d had an allison (and you could hear yourself think inside the cab) I'd still take the Chevy.. it's just a more comfortable truck.

btw.. this is not brand loyalty... I've owned all three diesels.. they are all good.. but only one is BEST and so far.. the DA is WICKED.

nuf said.. the article is a joke...

hoot
07-11-2002, 08:46
But they don't want a Caddy work truck. If it don't make noise, stink, and shake rattle and roll, it's not an option ;)

[ 07-11-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>