PDA

View Full Version : Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w40

roegs
11-19-2003, 14:43
My '03 Duramax has just under 7000 miles on it, and I'm trying to determine the proper oil for this coming winter (Minnesota). I've been running Mobil Delvac 1300 since new, and would continue, but GM claims I should use 5w40 oil for below 0 operation in the winter. I've recently read about Valvoline's Premium Blue Extreme, and would like to know how it compares to Rotella 5w40 and Delvac 1. I'm not to big on Rotella due to the smell (my wife already dislikes the diesel smell, and if I add another smell she may boycott my truck). :cool:

I'd go with Delvac 1, but I'd like to keep changing the oil a little more often (I make some short trips) and can do that with a less expensive oil. The Valvoline Blue is avaliable at NAPA stores. I'm hoping someone can reply with the Valvoline specs...especially commenting on if its a true synthetic. Thanks!

Hoppy1942
11-19-2003, 18:25
You should try Valvoline's web site (www.valvoline.com). They are really good about responding to inquiries. I personally use many of their products.

roegs
11-19-2003, 20:35
Thanks for the note Hoppy. For those interested in Valvoline's web site, the diesel oils are under the following link:

www.valvolinehd.com (http://www.valvolinehd.com)

blue_lightning
11-20-2003, 03:17
I am currently using this product. I bought it at the local NAPA store. I find that it has a similar smell to Rotella although not quite as strong. I tried it in hopes of stopping the "clicking" noise at idle. Dave

roegs
11-22-2003, 06:51
Just bringing this to the top again. There must be others on this site that know something about Valvoline's product.

Valvoline claims that their oil is endorsed by Cummins. On the other hand, I've also read that Cummins recommends waiting for synthetics until the engine has around 15-20k on it.

George...any thoughts as to how this compares to Delvac 1?

Spartus
11-22-2003, 17:29
WEll, you know the saying. "Those who know, use Rotella-T". :D I figure if a Semi can get 1 million miles on an engine, then I should be able to get 200k on mine with the same oil.

Why would you think your wife would smell the oil?? It's in the crank case.. Does Rotella T make some odd odor come from the exhaust?

Other than that, Valvoline does make good oils, but I have not heard of anyone using it in their diesel..

-Tom

JoeyD
11-23-2003, 06:40
The semi is using a few more quarts than the GM. This gives the oil a longer life

george morrison
11-23-2003, 07:43
No, I do not have any personal experience with the Valvoline Blue Synthetic and thus cannot comment. However, the Cummins endoresement is a bit of a non-statement in that both companies share ownership, as it does with Fleetgard Filters, which Cummins also recommends..
George Morrison

YZF1R
11-23-2003, 15:47
I use the 5/40 Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme. Seems to do OK. Only becouse I don't have anywhere to change it myself. I have to really watch the guys at the quik lube though. Some can not figure out how to work the Fumoto valve, make sure they change the engine filter (and use the right one) and not the trans filter, grease 11 fittings, etc. Can't wait untill we move. An oil exam showed all was well with this oil.

Steve

roegs
11-25-2003, 20:12
Thanks for the replies on this. I spoke with a lab person today at Valvoline, and asked if the basestock for Valvoline Blue Extreme was class III or class IV. They said that was company confidential information...she said all she could tell me was that it's synthetic.

If its that big of a secret, I guess I'm not interested.