PDA

View Full Version : 450 miles new duramax in shop for bad injector?

Paradise bear
08-03-2003, 09:19
Three working days for parts and repair to be completed was told they needed to order new seal after getting them to remove injector off another truck in stock?. What should I do when signing off on repair at dealer, should crank case oil be changed?(if other injectors fail within factory warranty what are my rights and is this anything to worry about? ). lots of smoke,rough idle,lack of power.
Three days later Still in dealer shop received afternoon call that they found a push rod out of adjustment? so they needed to order more parts butttttt they could'nt order parts after 12:00pm so they would have wait until next day(they had no control over parts department). Next day,phone rings, parts did'nt arrive, question was asked,"what was ordered", "a new push rod, we want to make sure that the job is done right,and this is a big job so its going to take time to do it right" "they ordered the parts ASAP but sometimes that works against you". Any ideas out there?

[ 08-06-2003, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Paradise bear ]

SoCalDMAX
08-03-2003, 13:49
Based on my experience with the same symptoms and a bad injector, I would INSIST that they AT LEAST inspect the piston and cylinder walls with a boroscope. If thye don't have one, have them remove the heads and inspect it that way. I have photos of a large portion of my piston completely melted away and a huge gouge in the cylinder wall. That cylinder had no compression, it was so bad they installed an entirely new motor.

If yours still checks out OK on compression, that doesn't mean that there isn't some pretty serious damage to the piston which will affect the longevity of the engine.

Regards, Steve

BigO
08-03-2003, 15:17
What are the symptons of a bad injector?

mackin
08-03-2003, 19:28
Originally posted by BigO:
What are the symptons of a bad injector? Rough idle, smoke at idle, white smoke on acceleration, possible higher EGT's,Tech II balance rate check ....

Man I checked mine with the Pred while wifey was in Wally World and they looked off, way off all of a sudden again ..... Seen some -3,+3 and -4 ,only 2 were in spec...... I'm must concerened with the dumpers ..... Pulse rates were up in the 3,4,6 brackets .....

Should of done some Olympus freeze frames ....

Think I'm gonna have to go see a Tech in a couple days for documentation .....

Mac

dmaxalliTech
08-03-2003, 19:38
[/QUOTE]

Mac [/QB][/QUOTE]

dmaxalliTech
08-03-2003, 19:40
Originally posted by mackin:

Mac [/QB]Know any good ones? :D

hoot
08-04-2003, 06:54
Originally posted by SoCalDMAX:
Based on my experience with the same symptoms and a bad injector, I would INSIST that they AT LEAST inspect the piston and cylinder walls with a boroscope. If thye don't have one, have them remove the heads and inspect it that way. I have photos of a large portion of my piston completely melted away and a huge gouge in the cylinder wall. That cylinder had no compression, it was so bad they installed an entirely new motor.

If yours still checks out OK on compression, that doesn't mean that there isn't some pretty serious damage to the piston which will affect the longevity of the engine.

Regards, Steve Steve,

Were your symtoms mild or did you all of a sudden get a nasty problem? The reason I ask is if something like what happened to you ever occurs, we'd like to know what to watch for. That way we can shut her down and get it in for service.

jesshd
08-04-2003, 07:02
Can someone post some information on what the injector numbers should look like? I have looked at them with the Predator, but I am not sure what I should be lookin for.

Jess

SoCalDMAX
08-06-2003, 23:01
Hoot,

In my case it happened within about 80 mi or so, suddenly it was emitting larger and larger clouds of black smoke, enough to cover the entire fwy behind me. It also lost a lot of power and was pinging on one cylinder.

Regards, Steve