PDA

View Full Version : Crickets under my hood.....

jeephauler
11-20-2003, 02:44
My '03 Duramax has begun making a strange noise after it has sat overnite. Particularly, for a few minutes after startup, makes a sound best described as sounding like a cricket, only louder. Any thoughts on this one?

thanks.

Paintdude
11-20-2003, 05:08
It sould be the drive-fan belt. does it do it every morning? Sometimes when the batteries are low, the alternator will be doing overtime trying to charge the batteries making the belt slip-squeak. Just a thought..Good Luck..

jbplock
11-20-2003, 05:13
Is it the infamous tick ???

jeephauler
11-20-2003, 06:17
To further clarify, truck has about 15K miles on it, and this has just statrted within last few weeks, and only after sitting overnite or longer. Chirping sound will go away within a few minutes or a mile or two.

JMPDMax
11-20-2003, 06:20
The belt tensioner may be starting to go bad. It could be partially siezed and cause the belt to slip over it...

Later...

BigLakeDMAX
11-20-2003, 07:11
If you're hearing a squeaking chirp sound, it's not the "Tick." If it sounds like a typewriter, it probably is. Hopefully it is the belt slipping momentarily, or if not that the tensioner. I've had alternators chirp, also. My '02 Dmax chirped like this every morning for a minute or so while cold - ended up being a bad water pump at 5k miles. An engine stethoscope may help you narrow it down. You can also remove the serpentine belt and hand turn different pulleys to find it possibly. Waterpump is gear driven so this wont help there. You can start the truck for a moment with the belt off and see if it is the water pump, also. Or, take it to the dealer and leave it overnight so they can start it cold in the morning - that's what I did.

Good luck!

Don

SPICER
11-20-2003, 07:12
Mine does this also but only on COLD mornings. It definitely sounds like my belt is slipping intermittently but rapidly making a chirping sound. I plan to have the dealer check it out soon. SPICER

WhiteDiesel
11-20-2003, 18:24
I have had crickets from day one. On a trip home from the Grand Canyon, in Feb., it really started to chirp loud. Popped open the hood and found two serpentine belts. It split right down the middle. The belt was replaced, and has since been replaced three more times. I does indeed go away for about 3k miles, but always comes back. The service dept just says, "yep....needs a new belt!"

All replacements have obviously been documented.

RWA II
11-20-2003, 20:06
Same problem here, and especially on cold mornings. I have been to busy to take into the stealer though. Keep us posted on results.

Thanks,
Ron

RocketsDmax
11-20-2003, 22:47
Ya GM has alot of belt noise problems with there new belts gas or diesel. There not as supple as the older ones, they dont flex as much and they are much stiffer and hate any kind of lube, They make chirp noises after a little road dirt gets packed into them. You can try to take a small wire brush to the belt while it is running to clean out the groves or get a aftermarket belt.
Just my .02.

sdaver
11-21-2003, 03:27
yeah right and if your not careful we can change your name to lefty...... :D dave

tysmith
11-21-2003, 03:31
Happened to me on my '01. Turned out my belt 'glazed.' Apparently, the belt is rather warm when operating, and driving through large puddles causes water to get on the belt, rapidly cooling it, causing said condition. New belt, no problemo...

Ty

jeephauler
11-21-2003, 10:56
:D Crickets are gone. I swapped out the belt for my emergancy spare (new stock GM belt), and that took care of it. Also lost the shutdown squeak. I'm sure all these noises will return in time, but at least I will know what it is. Next time, will put on a Goodyear Gatorback belt if i can find one.

Thanks to all who replied!

Spartus
11-22-2003, 17:34
Belt tensioner I bet.... Mine was making the same squeeks... The tensioner was "OUT OF ALIGNMENT".. A new tensioner and a new belt, and all has been well for the last 5k.. A new belt will probably be a temporary fix.