PDA

View Full Version : The Rest of the Story Please

Gbenzx01
08-04-2003, 00:38
Injectors getting a little help from within?
We now have one on the board at 450 miles? There seems tobo no time frame pattern forming that I can detect? Anyone else?
At 450 niles most I assume have concluded factory defect? But I simply cannot accept that bad fuel is not getting some help from something, maybe electronic inside these suckers. Bad injector? Or was it cup seal, injector sleeve, something overheated due to fuel cooling or electric power to the thing?
I believe GM put a big fuel pipe from the tank to the Bosch pump for a big reason & just abt everyone that has had a chance to see flow in the return talk abt a trickle. And a fuel cooler?
Is the che, che, che sound I've heard from the exhaust since day 1 trying to tell us something? Service Mgr says they all do that but do they really? If you have muffler you can hear it but w/o muffler really hear it, almost like burnt exhaust valve if you listen at the tailpipe. What would it really sound like w/o the turbo?
When I fire a v8 of any kind I like to hear a rumble at idle that reflects each cylinder sounding off & doing it's part. If I want to hear something that sounds like an air compressor I'll just go back to the shop.
Sum Body ain't tellin! But if anyone can measure the flow getting to the pump (110-130gph as posted here on DP if verified) maybe we can go from there. Anyone?

Thanx, Gben

hoot
08-04-2003, 06:24
It would probably sound a lot different without the turbo. The turbo really messes with the exhaust sound.

I wouldn't go by exhaust sound unless you were really experienced with exactly what it is supposed to sound like when everything is perfect.

MadDuraMax
08-06-2003, 16:58
Hmm...

Got my card in the mail from the General today that says "GM will require proof of a FUEL FILTER REPLACEMENT every 15,000 miles". This is a new policy for repairs under warranty.

Could be thier first admission of a problem... to be coninued I'm sure....

Mark

Jayhawker
08-06-2003, 17:16
Sounds more like their first attempt to avoid making many warranty repairs when injectors fail! What will constitute proof? Will it be purchase only from GM with installation only in a GM service department?

When a GM dealership had to replace my injection pump last fall (due to fuel pressure regulator causing pressure spikes), they initially made a big production out of my having a Racor fuel filter but later backed off that position.

Corndog
08-06-2003, 17:21
Looks like they should reward the ones that have 2 and 3 filters then. :D

Jim Cobler
08-07-2003, 12:13
Who is GM trying to kid! Must change fuel filter every 15,000 miles?

If I could get a filter to last 15,000 miles, I would stand on my hood and crow like a rooster.

hoot
08-07-2003, 13:14
I recall my first filter doing 15,000... I'll have to check my records.

Kennedy
08-07-2003, 13:55
I took one off last week that had 70K on it!!!

Funny thing is, it did not show severe restriction like it should have.

Mdrag should have it soon to cut open and see it it is compromised.

Truck in question was (WAS) a stock 2001, and had at least one stand out injector bad...

Gbenzx01
08-07-2003, 15:32
Thanx Guys,
I just made the wrong turn down the hall & sent the little post to, injector question, chevyhdman.
And no I'd rather not say that stuff again I may get ill myself.
But Hoot & Amianthus are talking abt what I believe is causing the hissing sound at the tailpipe. No, ain't no housecat under there!
Sorry, gotta run, chkitout,

Gben

dmaxalliTech
08-07-2003, 20:23
Originally posted by MadDuraMax:
Hmm...

Got my card in the mail from the General today that says "GM will require proof of a FUEL FILTER REPLACEMENT every 15,000 miles". This is a new policy for repairs under warranty.

Could be thier first admission of a problem... to be coninued I'm sure....

Mark Mark, throw that paper in your truck and come on over here to 28th street!! That will give a good excuse to meet you. Your only half hour away. I havent seen that letter yet.

Gbenzx01
08-07-2003, 21:34
Well JK,
are you sure the thing wasn't under the back seat?
We've had otr truck filters shut engines down in less than 100( one hundred) miles when they picked up a bad load of fuel.
Just wish we had the 8k mi oem we chgd out back, it probly looked like brand new inside. Someone in Mi surely signed something that was not filled in. Wonder if he got his walking paper yet? Might not be a bad idea for us to save these oem's for me may believe the road may narrow up a little down the way.

dmaxalliTech,
Have you tried to compare the injectors being removed to new ones &/or rebuilt ones they are sending you? Any determination at all?
Also, this afternoon we ran the Dmax upto rpms even to redline static on suction flow & still the che, che sound. But can't yet figure out a way to try it under continous load. But if I could just rent the rollers over at RingPower for just 5 mins. ;)
Thanx Guys, Gben

dmaxalliTech
08-08-2003, 06:00
gben, they look the same, packaged the same, the no's that are etched on them differ, but they could be date codes or plant codes. dont know what they mean.

mackin
08-08-2003, 06:38
Originally posted by kennedy:
I took one off last week that had 70K on it!!!

Funny thing is, it did not show severe restriction like it should have.

Mdrag should have it soon to cut open and see it it is compromised.

Truck in question was (WAS) a stock 2001, and had at least one stand out injector bad... Wow !!!

I thought my buddy was king with 40k on his 02 filter .... Well still on his truck so there is hope ... I think he is reverse engineering a absolute 2 micron ...
Mac :D :D :D

hoot
08-08-2003, 06:56
I don't understand entirely what damage not changing the fuel filter will do. If it's a quality filter, the worst that could happen is fuel restriction and shutdown I believe.

Jomar
08-08-2003, 12:59
I agree with Hoot, It`s not as if the filter has a bypass on it that will allow unfilter fuel to go into the engine if the filter stopped up. Sounds like a bunch of B.S. to me. It would be so easy for them to make a good reliable filter, even bigger-there is room, and do away with all these problems.

Raptorrider2001
08-08-2003, 13:30
This may be GM's way out of explaining to the new owners of the '03s why they seem to lack power. :confused:

DuramaxDicko
08-08-2003, 16:49
Looked in my Duramax supplement manual and it states 15k on the fuel filter, replace.

MadDuraMax
08-08-2003, 18:32
I too have that info in the supplement. This Info was on a card send by my selling dealer. Starts off stating ... "Urgent message to Duramax Owners" - "GM has just announced a new policy regarding DuraMax Diesel FUEL SYSTEM repairs under warranty." "GM will require proof ...". Then "Please be sure to have this service performed every 15,000 miles."

dmaxalliTech, I'll try to get over there this coming work week. Are you going to be there Monday night? Who do I ask for (unless you go by your handle on here!! :D ).

Mark

gene smith
08-08-2003, 18:52
you guys are keeping me in shape, moondoggie's got a tick-tick, so i grab keys run down to shop, warm it up and listen for tick-tick---no tick-tick, back to the pooter and you guys are hering a che-che, back to shop and no che-che's. what's next the wife is grtting a kick outa this. not tryin to be funny just a comment, Geno :rolleyes: :D tongue.gif

MadDuraMax
08-08-2003, 19:06
Victory,

My point exactly! Will showing them I purchased mine from JK be proof?? Stay tuned, I'll try to get over to Dmaxallitech's place next week. Is this for real or just spam from my dealer....TBC

Mark