PDA

View Full Version : Duramax Destroyed

Petrella
04-03-2002, 19:46
My best friend bought a new Duramax a month ago and last week, an ex business partner(with cruel intentions) lit his new escalade up on fire and she burned down to the ground, along with his duramax, and the 1998 ferrari parked in the garage. Damage was estimated at 700,000. Anyway i was going through the duramax this morning and was trying to pop the hood to see what was under there. The interior is completely burned out, dash was gone, and all was left was the springs from the seats. we got the hood open and there lay a brand new duramax, with no wires, no plastic, no blue hoses, nothing. Anyway, i was wondering if this motor is scrap or can it be pulled out and have repairs done to put in something else??? Any clues???

mark45678
04-03-2002, 19:54
brings a tear to my eye......Lets have a moment of silents for our fallen solder...

sound like it got really hot! I would guess the motor is done if they use water to put it out.. the intake would have to come off to be sure.

Petrella
04-03-2002, 20:02
yeah they hosed her down....its a really ENORMOUSLY annoying thing to look at! If water got into the intake the motor would have to be completely stripped, cleaned, and reassembled.

midwestdmax29
04-03-2002, 20:06
Fuel fires burn hot, the duramax is dead. Somebody needs to invite that guy who lit it to the rendezvous! I'm sure he could be rehabilitated, or something.....

Petrella
04-03-2002, 20:16
you know, it would be really hard to send such a beautiful machine like that to the scrapyard. Now im beginning to realize that we need to let her go and RIP. We will still pull the motor and look at innerworld of the engine that inspires us all!!

NutNbutGMC
04-03-2002, 20:32
^..I say the insurance company will scrap it, without even a blink of an eye. It's a friggin' motor..... LMAO..... :D :D

Petrella
04-03-2002, 20:48
yeah but i want the motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wally
04-03-2002, 20:49
You know it may not need anything but re-gasketed.
Pull the dipstick, if you can, and see what's in the crankcase. If it got hot enough to turn the oil to gunk then she is probably toast if not then new soft gaskets might be all that is needed besides the obvious electrical. I doubt that the fire dept. got any water in the internals unless they lifted the hood to put it out. What about the Ally?
I remember a neighbors garage fire that burned his Ford Falcon to the point of not even having any glass left and all it took to repair the engine was a valve cover gasket, carburetor kit, distributor and paint.

Petrella
04-03-2002, 21:06
we will try pulling the dipstick, the condition of the oil is probably ok, but like you siad all the gaskets will have to be replaced

rustypig
04-03-2002, 21:12
First of all.....I wanna hang out with your friends too!!! Anyway...I'd pull the glow plugs, turn over the mill by hand to make sure it won't hydro-lock. Then I'd FIRE THAT BABY UP! My money say's the engine itself is gonna be a go. The computer, wiring, fuel hoses, rad hoses....well....they may require a "bit-o help" first.

Petrella
04-03-2002, 21:25
yeah we can do that, but we have to find a victim for this engine...hmmm.....my 94 suburban could probably use one

ChevysRus
04-03-2002, 23:50
I think we should post this over at the Ford Bored and show them that not even a 3000 degree fire can melt DMAX heads!!!!!!

Insurance companies are pretty slick and they already see the "Salvage Value" of that Allison and DMAX parts. You can make them an offer on the drivetrain (by all means keep the rear axle), but I think they will surprise you with what they expect to get for all of it. You might want to get all the serial numbers just for fun and then watch for them to show up on Ebay! LOL

R Waller
04-04-2002, 06:36
chebbyRU,

that fire was no where even 3000 degrees, do a little reading... ;)

D-max Man
04-04-2002, 07:57
This is a sad day indeed. I would love to get my hands on that engine myself.

[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: D-max Man ]</p>

D-max Man
04-04-2002, 07:58
You mean to tell me that those aluminum heads didn't melt down and puddle on the floor under the truck? :D :D

theNUT
04-04-2002, 09:19
How bout that Ferrari?

Can you tow anything with that?

Petrella
04-04-2002, 20:59
Nothing looks melted on the motor, (metalwise) the steel and aluminum are black but still look to have the same original shape. the ferrari can be fixed, the fire only melted the bumper and the rear tail lights. it was in the garage so by the time the firemen arrived they saved the ferrari, but the Escalade was originally lit up, they poured gas on it, then it spread to the duramax about 7 feet away from it. the escalade is just a shell on the ground, but from halfway down the box and the rest of the duramax was not touched by fire. just nothing left in the cab except for the springs that used to lay in the nice leather seats. Now thats a sad picture!!