PDA

View Full Version : 235 Water Temp?

mp5medic
07-10-2002, 15:45
Today I was coming home up the cajon pass pulling my trailer and the water temp rose to 235 degrees? Is this what all you are seeing? It is 110 degrees outside but I thought these trucks always stuck below 210? Is it true that they also have two water thermostats? Let me know what you guys( and Girls) are experiencing cause I'm about to go on vacation and I definitly do not want to go if I have a problem! thanks for you input

TheMikeZ
07-10-2002, 17:45
I think that something is wrong, either a sendor, or a thermostat. I pull a backhoe and gooseneck at about 19,000# here in South Texas where 110 is the norm for summer. I have never seen the temp even approach 210. I would have it check before the vacation, then have a great time.

mackin
07-10-2002, 19:22
mp5medic ,

How many miles on your 02? My thinking is if it's young and your towing may create a little more heat, hence the additional 25 degree temp your seeing compared to others.....
Seems a little hot if not ...... Good luck trying to repeat at dealer ... There is two thermostats that open, close at different stages, it's more of a cold climate quicker warm up.....Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out ........

MAC smile.gif

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

TBC
07-10-2002, 20:39
I saw 235 on mine one time while towing up a 7-8% grade at 3000 RPM in 3rd gear. It was about a 10 mile long pull. I backed off to 2500 RPM and it cooled right back to 200. The trans also went to about 210. That was the only time the truck ever down shifted to 3rd on my entire trip. It was long and steep. It taught me to slow down a bit.

Colorado Kid
07-11-2002, 09:21
They do have two thermostats, and a fan clutch. I haven't pulled quite as big a trailer as you (25') and not quite as hot (100*) but I haven't seen the temp even budge above normal when climbing. Your fan should have been screaming, if it wasn't you know where to look. I think you've got something wrong.

I just had another thought, if your truck has EGR (as in California Emissions) then the rest of us may not be able to compare. Recirculating Exaust Gasses definately has the potential increase heat.

Ironhead
07-11-2002, 11:09
seeing how its a "peoples republik of Kalifornia" truck, I would bet it has a lot to do with all the smog cr@p.

RealBigTruck
07-11-2002, 15:28
I have a California truck also.

I saw 235 degrees coming over the Rockies at high rpm in June with an 8500 lb trailer. The temp climbs pretty fast, then the fan comes on, then the temp stops and is rock steady at 235. Temp drops right back to 190 over the hill.

Everything seems OK to me. It would be a lot to ask a truck to tow up a steep hill at high rpm without the temps going up. The owner's manual says on tough stuff the temps may go up to 260 degrees.

TBC
07-11-2002, 19:16
My truck is not a CA model. The temp going to 235 could happen without the fan pulling in. Remember the fan clutch is sensing the temp of the air through the radiator and if the engine temp goes up and the radiator is cooling down quick because of outside temp and/or speed you could see and increase in eng temp and no fan clutch activation, at least for a short time. I used to see this happen on my 454 and the fan clutch was fine. It is just a combination of temps. The eng is not hurt at 235 but I would not want to see it stay there long or go much higher. I tend to get nervous anytime it gets over about 210. The colder the better to a point is the way I like it.