PDA

View Full Version : SES

Tudge
04-04-2002, 10:43
Picked up my new 2500HD D/A Tuesday night - drove it to work yesterday and then on the way in today the SES lamp came on - I couldnt tell any difference in performance (still runs good) - oil pressure is good (80psi anything above idle) and engine temperature was about 200 degrees.

I stopped the truck, turned the engine off and restarted - the SES stayed on. Needless to say I called the dealer and insisted that they make time to look at it this afternoon - has anyone else had something like this happen (by the way this happened at 154 miles on the odometer)

Any ideas - I have had the block heater plugged in the last 2 nights - still kinda cool here in Colorado.

Thanks
Tudge

Kennedy
04-04-2002, 10:48
DON'T change the fuel temp sensor. You will likely find the code points there, and it is a false code...

[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

Tudge
04-04-2002, 10:58
kennedy,

Does that have something to do with the block heater being plugged in? - I had probably driven at least 20 miles before this happened.
If the code they pull if for high fuel temp - what should they do?? just clear the code - or is there some software reflash that needs to be performed?

Thanks
Tudge

srubrn
04-04-2002, 11:54
There is nothing wrong with your truck. The block heater warms your engine but the fuel is still cold, so the computer thinks something must be wrong with the fuel temp sensor. It is a bug that can't be fixed just yet. It is the block heater. Just get them to clear the SES and don't use the block heater or use it and when you stop using it let them clear it. Happen to me, I don't use it anymore and I don't get the SES anymore.

ZFMax
04-04-2002, 17:28
This is happening to me, too ... I use the block heater most nights just because I like the truck to warm up quickly and run quietly from the get-go. I figure it's easier on the motor.

I don't get the SES light \i{every} time I use the block heater, but it'll rarely go more than 2-3 days of using the block heater every day before it comes on, always on my way to work and always about 10 miles from home.

It generally stays on for a couple of weeks, then it'll go off by itself, even though I've been using the block heater daily through that time. But after it goes off, within 2-3 days it'll be back on, same conditions. So it's like once it's occurred, it's no longer looking for that fault. Then after whatever conditions are met to clear it (# of starts?) it starts looking for the condition again and sets the SES again within a few days.

I have an Auto-Xray OBD-II scanner, it always shows P0181 Fuel Temp Sensor. I can clear it with the Auto Xray but I don't bother anymore, I know it'll just come back on within a few days.

The dealer has opened a case on it and is waiting for a real fix. Hopefully next winter I won't be seeing this.

Tudge
04-05-2002, 09:06
Kennedy & ZFMax
You guys hit the nail right on the head - it was the P0181 Fuel Temp Sensor code that was setting the SES. The dealer reset the code, the service advisor I talked to said that there is a software fix for this issue, however I am not so sure that I believed him - if there is such a software fix why didnt my truck ship with it in the first place? Then they gave me some excuse that they couldnt load the software right now because my VIN number is not in the system - they said to call them back in a week to 10 days and I should be in the system by then - does this sound like a line of BS? - I am not sure.

I didnt use the block heater last night - but could sure tell the difference in the way the truck started this morning. Anyhow thanks again for the info.

Tudge.

Mic
04-05-2002, 10:25
tudge,

looks like you need to change your sig.

Also go here
http://vci.ecomm.gm.com/vci/

and type in your VIN, to see if you're in the system and what updates are available.

ZFMax
04-10-2002, 15:28
So is a fix for this issue out?

I went to that web site and punched in my VIN but the info says it's a update "history", doesn't say anything about new updates available.

But it has a fix listed for false setting of SES codes.

I'm confused.

My dealer told me they haven't heard about any fix. But I suspect they just don't know.

Anyone?

mdrag
04-10-2002, 17:53
ZFMax,

I believe the GM calibration site lists ALL THE AVAILABLE software for a particular VIN # - NOT the installed software. The GM Calibration list for your VIN # will only change when new software is released, and it will be added to the bottom of each category. My 'list' did not change after the updates were installed - and I have verified (with the Tech2) that the installed software agrees with the GM calibration list.

Here is a link to a longer discussion on this subject:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=edit_post&f=7&t=003046&reply_num=000012&u=00005016