PDA

View Full Version : Time to call Jamie?

Cowracer
02-23-2005, 04:36
Just when I get all my ducks in a row, someone moves my row (insert anguished scream here)

The Big Blue truck dropped a cylinder on the way home yesterday. Extremly rough idle, power loss off idle (but suprisingly good power above 2000 rpm), and a steady blue haze out the exhaust.

A quick check by cracking injector lines revealed that the problem is in the second hole on the drivers side (#3 I would assume).

No serious knocking or other rough noises other than a slight ticking at certian rpm. I figure either its a dead injector (I'll swap it out tonight, but I dont have my hopes up), a valve problem, or the rings are completly gone on that piston.

Does the infamous rocker retainer give these symptoms when one lets go. I'm going to pull the covers off this weekend, but I think it may be time to think about a new mill.

[sigh]

Tim

Kennedy
02-23-2005, 10:29
Rocker retainers do not typically let go by themselves. The sheared rocker retainer is a product of another mechanical failure causing severe side loading.

Check your injector in that hole (although they seldom stick) and pull the oil fill cap and see if there is any major puffing from the crankcase.

Cowracer
02-23-2005, 10:42
John,

Yes, there is major puffing from the oil filler tube. But, it has been doing that for as long as I owned the truck.

Would that indicate a holed piston, ruined rings or what?

Tim

john8662
02-23-2005, 11:27
I had remembered you commenting in the past about blow-by. How much blow by are you getting? Do you get blow-by coming out from the oil dipstick tube with the dipstick fully inserted in the tube? If so, yeah I'd be thinking of gathering up those 18:1 pistons mentioned in your other post and call Jamie or Benny. How many miles are on your rig? It could be an injector, but I haven't had any luck in this department, it's usually something more.

cruzer
02-23-2005, 11:30
Cowracer, I had same problem couple yrs back on #3. Major puffing/miss,no knock till about 2000+rpm and had major smoke screen out the tail pipe. When I pulled glow plug after running the engine and it was dripping with oil.
Did comp test and had 0lbs. It was not good. Hope yours is not as severe. Good luck.

rjschoolcraft
02-23-2005, 12:39
Probably a broken piston...

cruzer
02-23-2005, 13:14
Ronnie, my thoughts and experiences too.

Cowracer
02-24-2005, 07:00
Swapped injectors between 1 and 3, problem remained in 3. Oil on injector tip when I pulled it out.

I concur, Methinks we have a swiss cheese piston. I talked with the wife, and I am getting some money freed up to get a new motor.

Rats! There goes my plan to buy a Harley Road-King for ANOTHER year! :(

Tim

PS RonnieJoe, I cant recall does you engine have the low compression pistons?

rjschoolcraft
02-24-2005, 08:16
Mine had stock compression before the "event."

It will go back with Kennedy 18:1's and splayed mains.

I just picked up the crank from the machine shop. Had it indexed and stroke equalized...cleaned up in 0.010".

Good luck.

cruzer
02-24-2005, 09:34
My blk and crank spec'd out to be std, and no cracks. 599 blk. Had clydr sleeved. I did most of my mods at the same time except for exhaust and gauges. Had a friend, who is a Mr. Goodwrench, so GM parts were cheap. I assembled it w/stk compression and now runs cool w/a ton more power. I hated it at the time, but the results are awsome!!!

Barry Nave
02-25-2005, 03:12
I had a GM long block installed at 60K,now have 137K. I always notice vapers from around dip tube when Eng. is hot. Open oil filler cap and will get same. CDR not working right? Have cleaned it on a yearly basses and spring seems fine.
Is there a bench test to know if it is doing it's job?

cruzer
02-25-2005, 06:06
I read somewhere, GM recomends replacing CDR every 30,000 miles.

moondoggie
02-25-2005, 07:58
Good Day!

Bnave95: Do a search - someone did a REALLY good job describing how to test these on the truck.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

Barry Nave
02-25-2005, 18:35
Will do,Thanks
OK found it under "Lost Post"
GMTDC wrote about the water closet.
I remember reading about this now and had done this in the past only I had not VAC. though I also had no pressure. The water in the tube just sat there. I've always had A oily inlet tube.
So If I would have one " of Vac. at idle I would not see any vapors around dip tube.
I'll have to try running a stright hose from cover to turbo inlet and see if I can get any Vac. from crank case.

[ 02-25-2005, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Bnave95 ]

JohnC
02-27-2005, 12:20
The CDR does not make vacuum. It keeps it from becoming excessive. No vacuum at idle is reasonable. Try running the engine up to 1500 RPM or so and see if you get something. The real issue is no pressure (plugged CDR) and no excessive vacuum (failed CDR).